Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
the fix is in
While the refs weren't too kind to us, it's further down the list of things that torpedoed us than things like poor coaching and poor discipline by players.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 09:33 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: And this was the point of my mccaron for quarterback plus conspiracy post. It's like you got to be a big fan favorite to actually win in the nfl.  Here's a example, they had Brady coming back as a celebration party today, he's seen as the best qb in the league. So his team is going to get the calls, he's either going to be in the afc championship or the Superbowl every damn year. The nfl loves him. Maybe just maybe if mccaron had all of Alabama behind him. Maybe the nfl would let us win one since the fans boosted like Seattle's did.

So, the solution to our problems is to put AJ behind this struggling O-line, and hope that Alabama fans watch him get beaten to a pulp?  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 07:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: We got hosed by the refs but that was not the core issue in the game - we lost because our D was awful again and the OL was a sieve like it has been every game. At least they FINALLY benched Og.

For me, the most 'obvious' bias call was the 'taunting' penalty against Gronk.  Stay with me here.

Every taunting call I've ever seen, when a referee was 'right there' on top of the play, came immediately after the perp started jawing.

Gronk got up from the tackle and you could see him look down at Dre, on the ground, and started taunting (jawing).  There was a referee RIGHT THERE who had no intention of throwing a flag.

Yes, it took Burfict's rant to the referees that 'forced their hand' to finally throw the flag.

No, the game was not lost on the refs, but the bias is there, and I'm wondering if possibly even sub-consciously it stems from that playoff game last year.

EVERYBODY and their sports brothers have seen those clips and with Burfict's suspension, I definitely feel that it has influenced the referees calls.

The other two that stick out is that weak ass holding call on Og, and Dre's holding call. 

The holding on Og negated a first down and killed momentum, and the one on Dre was a third down incomplete Pats pass.

No, I agree with many who say this isn't the only reason why they are struggling, but you can't tell me it's not 'in the refs head' either way.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 07:45 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: What I saw today was a Bengals team who came to play. Yeah there was some bad play calls at the red zone not running hill there.  But I was very pleased with how dalton played hitting his passes.  You just can't beat the refs too.  Good things by us were taken away.  I'm not going through each one of them. But it was on offense and defense, just blatant bad calls to keep the Pats in it. I came from this game pissed that this game we love is corrupt.  I feel like walking away from it.  We aren't in the nfls agenda to win.  Do you honestly think the nfl would allow Tom Brady first home game to be the Bengals beat them??  Hahaha not if the league has any say.  Just look at the ravens game too PATHETIC.

Blaming the refs is the lament of the loser.

You don't get doubled up in score by the refs.
Reply/Quote
I'll say the3&18 call against Dre and the holding call that resulted in the safety were terrible, but we were still losing that game.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 07:45 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: What I saw today was a Bengals team who came to play. Yeah there was some bad play calls at the red zone not running hill there.  But I was very pleased with how dalton played hitting his passes.  You just can't beat the refs too.  Good things by us were taken away.  I'm not going through each one of them. But it was on offense and defense, just blatant bad calls to keep the Pats in it. I came from this game pissed that this game we love is corrupt.  I feel like walking away from it.  We aren't in the nfls agenda to win.  Do you honestly think the nfl would allow Tom Brady first home game to be the Bengals beat them??  Hahaha not if the league has any say.  Just look at the ravens game too PATHETIC.

No it's not. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 08:54 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Fixed or just plain incompetence?

Although I guess Seattle has become one of the "moneymaking" teams recently... Who knows?

Winner.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Dean Blandino will be along in just a minute to explain why the play on Julio Jones was not a DPI. 

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 11:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Dean Blandino will be along in just a minute to explain why the play on Julio Jones was not a DPI. 

The defender didn't line him up.  Duh.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 11:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Dean Blandino will be along in just a minute to explain why the play on Julio Jones was not a DPI. 

Now we just need Will Smith to make a movie!!

I am about to trademark its name and get rich quick, "Referee" Ninja 
Reply/Quote
The only call that really confused me was the Logan Ryan manhandling of AJ on the swing pass. That was a bear hug.

We all have to start realizing some tough realities as fans of this team. It's easy to blame officiating for what's gone on this season, but this team kinda sucks right now. There have been too many small things piling up that came together before this year and they are all taking a toll.

Attrition is a killer from free agency and injury. Age is setting in with a few players that this team has leaned on for way too much for too long. The reality of the end of the Bengals' golden age of drafting is also setting in. Ogbuehi is a disaster and Fisher isn't seeing the field. Dennard looks like a snail in the secondary. Hill just doesn't have whatever he brought in 2014. Jackson isn't available due to injury and neither is Billings, the lone real DL reinforcement from the last 2 drafts.

The draft thing is stinging the hell out of this team. When you can't get contributors or playmakers out of early round picks, it spells the eventual doom of your franchise, and I fear that this is what we are watching right now. Boyd is about the only one we're getting anything out of in the last 3 drafts. Otherwise these guys are major disappointments.

The Ogbuehi and Fisher picks were the worst of all. They were both much smaller and a departure from what this team had done successfully at the tackle position for years. They remind me of the Pollack/Thurman draft with different circumstances. Two guys that were drafted to play major roles on this team for the next decade and you get nothing from them. The Pollack/Thurman debacles may very well have been what prevented the Palmer era Bengals from becoming a truly great team. These two may have the same effect on the Dalton era.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 09:13 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Same problem with teachers. The sucky teachers get sent to minority schools rather than being replaced by brighter, more capable teachers. The kids suffer, the suck ass teachers keep their jobs and then retire when they want with large unearned pensions.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-n-R-Discussion
Reply/Quote
God we got some clueless fans, so what y'all think of the Adam Jones pi on third down? Was that fair? Was that not a big play?
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 08:06 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I come to realize most our fans are ignorant. They believe what Dan fouts says on tv more then a any fan would tell them. They go by what the refs call is the right call. They actually believe we got to just keep stopping the pats over and over, even if penalized lol dre Kirkpatrick got a bad call on third down. My Bengals group instantly said dre Kirkpatrick is sorry.  Even last year, Jeremy's knee was down. But the majority has said hill ruined it. We got a bunch of sheep as fans. There was a play on offense while I was getting a sack, I think we got holding when there wasn't. By the time I got back that's when the safety happened. We wouldn't of been in that situation. There was one play Brandon lafell got pass interfered with the corner was all over him, no call of course. And that Adam Jones third down was one of the worst you could see. HE DID NOTHING. what else was he supposed to do besides just let him catch it lol that's when I gave in. We got hosed again. A simple bad holding call can change a game. Our fans just don't seem to get that.
Yes Hill's knee was down last year, but they should have been trying to eat clock, on 1st and 2nd then go for the 1st on 3rd, if they fail, Pitt would have had seconds left to drive the whole field, Bottom line is our coaches keep failing us over and over again. Before Hill took the field at least 10 people said to him DONT FUMBLE, what did he do, charge right out there and fumble, If we had of been actually strategizing to win, he would have been told to run into the ground for 2 plays, eat clock and then we will go for a 1st. The reason we get no calls, we cant win a wild card playoff game for 5 in a row, they want us out of the way. No one wants to see the Bengals keep losing in a wild card game year after year, Its not good business.
Reply/Quote
... Hill fumbled last year. Sadly, the ball was stripped before Hill's elbow was down. This year with Boyd's knee though? Not so much.

I do find it funny that they called Ogbuehi for holding as he fell on the end, when Dunlap got sat on for three seconds in like the first or second play of the game.
Reply/Quote
Whether anyone likes it or not,  believes it or not there are NO laws on the books to prevent the NFL or any organized sport from creating scripts of how games are won or lost. 

It IS an entertainment business so when you buy a ticket or even watch on TV or listen on radio the ONLY thing you're entitled to is to be entertained and that is extremely subjective as to what constitutes entertainment. It's DEFINITELY NOT a democratic process in play at any point.If the league decides team A will always win and team B will always lose your only recourse is to not participate by watching or following the game...end/stop.
Just like buying a ticket to the movies, you're not entitled to decide how the movie is going to end. You don't get to decide whether the hero gets to bang the hot girl or not..
All that said I'm very quickly losing interest in sports in general. It's as if my lifetime fantasy of fairness has had the final bubble popped. In some strange way it feels somewhat liberating to realize that I don't have to let this or any other team's failures disappoint me. If they lose every single game from now till the end of time it's not really any skin off my nose. I don't spend money on them and don't feel any sort of obligation to support them. It's not AS IF I'm in any way responsible for what happens in Paul Brown Stadium. I don't raise them with expectations that they go on to better themselves like i would raising a family.. It's like getting pissed off because Martha left John in some soap opera.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 09:13 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Same problem with teachers. The sucky teachers get sent to minority schools rather than being replaced by brighter, more capable teachers. The kids suffer, the suck ass teachers keep their jobs and then retire when they want with large unearned pensions.

Not the same problem.. With crap teachers it can and does effect children's lives for years to come  and determines whether the children will go on to have a successful and prosperous life.  A crap ref isn't going to affect your life in any such manner unless perhaps you're stupid enough to wager your house and all your wages on the game.. Even then it's not the refs fault you're that stupid to begin with.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Execution is my concern. Playcalling is what it is. We played to win during the first half. Once we started to fail on key downs, we played not to lose.

The decision not to go for it on 4th and long (Less than 4 minutes to go) sums up the season nicely.

DAMNED IF YOU DO. DAMNED IF YOU DON'T

Reply/Quote
Many people will attack this post saying you wear a tin-foil hat, etc. The truth of the matter is that everything isn't "scripted". There is no great plan that says that Brady and Pig Ben have a line that get away with holding every time and they are looking for a flag to throw on every play against the smaller fan-base teams. They aren't beholden to the mafia that there must be a certain margin of victory, point spread, etc.

However, if anyone believes there is not an absolute bias towards certain teams and it only takes a few extra calls leaning in one direction to influence the outcome of the game, you are just trying to ignore the evidence and pretend it is all real so your team has a fair shot. The bias is real and a large part of the viewing audience is starting to get fed up.

This year has been some of the worst I have ever seen. And it isn't just the Bengals. I remember watching the officiating of the Jags and Packers in week 1 with complete disbelief.

They can only cater to certain fan bases and markets for so long before they lose all the rest of them. They have been very arrogant and are starting to see the decline in viewership. Here is something to ponder: how much of the viewership they are getting is tied to fantasy or gambling? How much is tuning in for the pure entertainment. They had better improve their product, or they could see a significant decline if people ever tire of fantasy football.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 08:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Many people will attack this post saying you wear a tin-foil hat, etc.  The truth of the matter is that everything isn't "scripted".  There is no great plan that says that Brady and Pig Ben have a line that get away with holding every time and they are looking for a flag to throw on every play against the smaller fan-base teams.  They aren't beholden to the mafia that there must be a certain margin of victory, point spread, etc.

However, if anyone believes there is not an absolute bias towards certain teams and it only takes a few extra calls leaning in one direction to influence the outcome of the game, you are just trying to ignore the evidence and pretend it is all real so your team has a fair shot.  The bias is real and a large part of the viewing audience is starting to get fed up.  

This year has been some of the worst I have ever seen.  And it isn't just the Bengals.   I remember watching the officiating of the Jags and Packers in week 1 with complete disbelief.  

They can only cater to certain fan bases and markets for so long before they lose all the rest of them.  They have been very arrogant and are starting to see the decline in viewership.  Here is something to ponder:  how much of the viewership they are getting is tied to fantasy or gambling?  How much is tuning in for the pure entertainment.  They had better improve their product, or they could see a significant decline if people ever tire of fantasy football.

Yep! This is a league-wide problem folks. To hell with Kaepernick kneeling or not kneeling or whatever during the anthem. That's not the main reason folks are tuning out: it's the God-awful, replacement-ref-like officiating. It's happening all over the league and who can blame fans? It's borderline unwatchable. 

Now with that said, there is certainly a bias in favor of the "moneymaking teams". It's been obvious for years now. But if Seattle can rack up the jersey sales and popularity, so can we.

However, officiating is not out to make Cincinnati lose. If it were... How in the hell were we able to win in 2012, in Pittsburgh, with a playoff spot on the line for both teams, on the anniversary of the immaculate reception? Answer me that. If the league was truly hell bent on favoritism, there is NO WAY we win that game... But we did.
Reply/Quote