Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
the fix is in
(10-17-2016, 03:13 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I would argue that the bulk of them are in really good shape.  Let me ask you this... if there really was this giant problem for poor officiating, don't you think there would be a line of former players talking about it?  They have retired, they are no longer employees, they aren't getting any more checks.  Why don't they come out to discuss it?

For their age, they are.  I saw it mentioned earlier on here somewhere about using guys out of college who didn't make the NFL, cut players, etc.  I think that's actually not a bad idea.  The thing with the officiating these days, is that we have replay, and they're still botching it.  The rule book isn't what it was when guys retired.  It is nuts these days.....and open to so much interpretation......changed every year.  That in and of itself almost begs for full time attention.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 03:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: For their age, they are.  I saw it mentioned earlier on here somewhere about using guys out of college who didn't make the NFL, cut players, etc.  I think that's actually not a bad idea.  The thing with the officiating these days, is that we have replay, and they're still botching it.  The rule book isn't what it was when guys retired.  It is nuts these days.....and open to so much interpretation......changed every year.  That in and of itself almost begs for full time attention.

I personally would not want cut players.  I saw an article once that talked about how many of the refs are attorneys.  Say what you want about attorneys, but they tend to be pretty smart people just to make it through law school.

I personally think every play should be available for replay.  Doesn't Marv sit on the competition committee??
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 03:31 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I personally would not want cut players.  I saw an article once that talked about how many of the refs are attorneys.  Say what you want about attorneys, but they tend to be pretty smart people just to make it through law school.

I personally think every play should be available for replay.  Doesn't Marv sit on the competition committee??

Yes.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 04:10 AM)grampahol Wrote: Not the same problem.. With crap teachers it can and does effect children's lives for years to come  and determines whether the children will go on to have a successful and prosperous life.  A crap ref isn't going to affect your life in any such manner unless perhaps you're stupid enough to wager your house and all your wages on the game.. Even then it's not the refs fault you're that stupid to begin with.. 

I believe I was pointing that out. The sameness about them is the union connection.

Reply/Quote
I don't give this "FIX" talk much thought but I have to admit that it really looks like the Seahawks have been (practically) given a home win on a blatant non-call this year, too.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 09:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If we accept the fix is on, what do the Bengals need to do to be one of the favored teams?

Hire a head coach that the media will adore. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 08:28 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep! This is a league-wide problem folks. To hell with Kaepernick kneeling or not kneeling or whatever during the anthem. That's not the main reason folks are tuning out: it's the God-awful, replacement-ref-like officiating. It's happening all over the league and who can blame fans? It's borderline unwatchable. 

Now with that said, there is certainly a bias in favor of the "moneymaking teams". It's been obvious for years now. But if Seattle can rack up the jersey sales and popularity, so can we.

However, officiating is not out to make Cincinnati lose. If it were... How in the hell were we able to win in 2012, in Pittsburgh, with a playoff spot on the line for both teams, on the anniversary of the immaculate reception? Answer me that. If the league was truly hell bent on favoritism, there is NO WAY we win that game... But we did.

As stated previously, they can't make a game have a certain outcome but they can greatly influence the game.  If memory serves, that game ended on a Pig Ben INT.  Hard to overturn that.  But many other calls throughout a game can greatly influence the outcome.  If you think it isn't happening, just keep your head in the sand and pretend your at the beach.  
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 09:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: I will say this.....the same type of inconsistencies in officiating, rule interpretations, penalties, suspensions, etc....has driven race fans away in droves from NASCAR.  They favor the big money teams.

That said, shit like not punching it in from the inch line.....TWICE has a bigger bearing on what happened yesterday than anything.  Pitiful.  If you go out and throttle opponents, three or four bad calls don't effect the outcome, that simple.  We are just not very good this year.

Yet, the Bengals were actually ahead in the third quarter...And then you had some holds called on 3rd and 18 for the Pats and you have the always outspoken  Sarcasm AJ Green actually complain about the Pats holding him all game long.  He will probably be fined for the first time in his career.   AJ Green complained, but not Marv.

BTW, did you see the Falcons coach and hear him after the game about the fouls on his receivers?  It seems that guy has a team with a reputation for playing soft (especially on defense) playing really hard for him.  I wonder if there is any connection?
Reply/Quote
As much as I have fun with conspiracy theories I really don't subscribe to many. Most are just plain silly which is fine. They give people something to whine about. 

The Bengals are in a bit of a unique position with guys like Vontez Burfict and Adam Jones. They draw quite a bit of attention away from other players with the refs. They seem so focused on catching them doing something wrong, anything wrong that they just completely ignore everyone else on the field. 
Then again I'm making up a whole new conspiracy theory.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 08:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yet, the Bengals were actually ahead in the third quarter...And then you had some holds called on 3rd and 18 for the Pats and you have the always outspoken  Sarcasm AJ Green actually complain about the Pats holding him all game long.  He will probably be fined for the first time in his career.   AJ Green complained, but not Marv.

BTW, did you see the Falcons coach and hear him after the game about the fouls on his receivers?  It seems that guy has a team with a reputation for playing soft (especially on defense) playing really hard for him.  I wonder if there is any connection?

Nailed it.

Reply/Quote