Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trade rumor
(10-28-2019, 10:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Listening to Pat Kirwan today, he asked: Do you want to be the franchise known for releasing players on the cheap when they complain. As much as I'd like to see Glenn gone, not sure we can reward the bad behavior at the expense of our future. 

Just start fining him a game check every week he chooses not to play. 

What are they supposed to do?  Fining Glenn a game check every week make the team look like spiteful, vindictive jackasses.  Trading him, they at least get something (mid round pick?) for him.  Whereas if they kept him around, (I think) it would still cost them $1M to make him go away before roster day.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Listening to Pat Kirwan today, he asked: Do you want to be the franchise known for releasing players on the cheap when they complain. As much as I'd like to see Glenn gone, not sure we can reward the bad behavior at the expense of our future. 

Just start fining him a game check every week he chooses not to play. 

Yeah, but the Steelers rewarded AB's bad behavior by trading him, the Jaguars rewarded Ramsey's bad behavior by trading him and the Rams rewarded Ramsey's bad behavior by trading high picks for him and we lost to all 3 of 'em.  I'm sure we will lose to the Patriots who are constantly rewarding players who whine their way off their old teams and so on and so forth.

Meanwhile the franchises that refuse to reward bad behavior are us and the Redskins.  Meh, maybe we should just try to move on like other teams do.  I'm not saying it's the right idea, I'm just saying that other teams do it and it doesn't seem to send them too off-kilter.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, but the Steelers rewarded AB's bad behavior by trading him, the Jaguars rewarded Ramsey's bad behavior by trading him and the Rams rewarded Ramsey's bad behavior by trading high picks for him and we lost to all 3 of 'em.  I'm sure we will lose to the Patriots who are constantly rewarding players who whine their way off their old teams and so on and so forth.

Meanwhile the franchises that refuse to reward bad behavior are us and the Redskins.  Meh, maybe we should just try to move on like other teams do.  I'm not saying it's the right idea, I'm just saying that other teams do it and it doesn't seem to send them too off-kilter.

It's weird. The Steelers win and are generally managed well, so what they do is viewed as the right decision. Guys generally like to play there too.

Here...it's like the Siberia of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Sad to say, but with the bengals recent draft success, they will likely bust on a lot of their draft picks. So they could trade green for two picks and just **** it up by not drafting well. How many times did it take for Cleveland to get it right ( trading players for picks then drafting brandon weeden) and they still suck. Our drafting was good under marvin until the last few years—makes you think the management is the problem
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's weird. The Steelers win and are generally managed well, so what they do is viewed as the right decision. Guys generally like to play there too.

There are plenty of examples of other teams just saying "Get the hell out" and taking some sort of pick, meanwhile Mike Brown and Dan Snyder are more interested in winning arguments than they are in winning actual games.

Who am I kidding?  We're not going to turn things around by trading any more than we are going to turn things around by making him retire in shame.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, but the Steelers rewarded AB's bad behavior by trading him, the Jaguars rewarded Ramsey's bad behavior by trading him and the Rams rewarded Ramsey's bad behavior by trading high picks for him and we lost to all 3 of 'em.  I'm sure we will lose to the Patriots who are constantly rewarding players who whine their way off their old teams and so on and so forth.

Yeah and the Steelers and Jags are marginally better than us with established staffs. What reward did the Steelrs give Bell, who refused to play? The Rams and Pats reference makes no sense, Nothing wrong with signing players who other teams want to unload. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's weird. The Steelers win and are generally managed well, so what they do is viewed as the right decision. Guys generally like to play there too.

List all the players that do not like to play here.

Let me know when it exceeds AB and Bell. 

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah and the Steelers and Jags are marginally better than us with established staffs. What reward did the Steelrs give Bell, who refused to play? The Rams and Pats reference makes no sense, Nothing wrong with signing players who other teams want to unload. 

Nothing wrong with signing players who quit on their team?  Well, you might have a hard time pitching that narrative to real foobawww fans! Also, the Steelers and Jaguars are both winning more than us and they are both starting rookie/1st year QBs and the Steelers even won with a 3rd string QB.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Nothing wrong with signing players who quit on their team?  Well, you might have a hard time pitching that narrative to real foobawww fans!  Also, the Steelers and Jaguars are both winning more than us and they are both starting rookie/1st year QBs and the Steelers even won with a 3rd string QB.

Sell it to foobawww fans however you want but it doesn't change the fact that buying and selling are not the same; as you suggested.

Equally unsure what the QB situation has to do with the topic at hand. I was merely sharing something PK talked about on the radio. Perhaps you know more about NFL GM decisions that he does, but I don't. 

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sell it to foobawww fans however you want but it doesn't change the fan that buying and selling are not the same; as you suggested.

Equally unsure what the QB situation has to do with the topic at hand. I was merely sharing something PK talked about on the radio. Perhaps you know more about NFL GM decisions that he does, but I don't. 

I'm just saying the Steelers and Jaguars both rewarded players for complaining and they're doing better than we are.  It's all good...we ain't gonna buy and we ain't gonna sell and it's all good because we are 0-8.

And I bought up the QB situations of the Steelers and the Jaguars because you said they are marginally better than us, and I just think they're both doing significantly better than us when you factor in their surprise backup QB seasons and that we were apparently in win-now mode.

But all the same, I hope Cordy Glenn rots on his couch so we can win something this year.  We may as well win a staring contest with a marginal playeer.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm just saying the Steelers and Jaguars both rewarded players for complaining and they're doing better than we are.  It's all good...we ain't gonna buy and we ain't gonna sell and it's all good because we are 0-8.

And I bought up the QB situations of the Steelers and the Jaguars because you said they are marginally better than us, and I just think they're both doing significantly better than us when you factor in their surprise backup QB seasons and that we were apparently in win-now mode.

But all the same, I hope Cordy Glenn rots on his couch so we can win something this year.  We may as well win a staring contest with a marginal playeer.

Of course it's not simply about this year. I thought I mentioned that. 

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course it's not simply about this year. I thought I mentioned that. 

I assume you mean the line "As much as I'd like to see Glenn gone, not sure we can reward the bad behavior at the expense of our future. " and I don't see how the way we handle Cordy Glenn is going to have a lasting impact on this franchise.  I don't think trading Glenn for anything makes us into doormats and I don't see how not trading him sends much of a message to NFL players everywhere.

The main problem is that we are so awful that we have no options for trading whining players to worse franchises to punish them.
Reply/Quote
Humm. This guy may know something. He could just be milking the situation. Nevertheless, Green to the Saints would be great for Green.

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I assume we're just going to stand pat, but I still can't wrap my head around the AJ Green situation.

AJ - I super wanna be a Bengal FOREVER!!!
MB - We wouldn't trade AJ Green for ANYTHING!

Long term deal.............?

This burning desire to be together sort of fizzles out for some reason...it's like that time that woman and I both screamed out our undying love for each other and then never signed the marriage certificate. So close.........yet so far away.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 12:22 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I assume we're just going to stand pat, but I still can't wrap my head around the AJ Green situation.

AJ - I super wanna be a Bengal FOREVER!!!
MB - We wouldn't trade AJ Green for ANYTHING!

Long term deal.............?

This burning desire to be together sort of fizzles out for some reason...it's like that time that woman and I both screamed out our undying love for each other and then never signed the marriage certificate.  So close.........yet so far away.

its because Larry Fritz spent his entire career with one team, so Green wants to do the same
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 01:29 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: its because Larry Fritz spent his entire career with one team, so Green wants to do the same

Green has said it, he "has all the money he needs". Put yourself in his shoes. He makes a lot of money here and the expectations are low and his status is high. 

Go to another team and everything is new, have to learn everything from the beginning, etc. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. No wonder he rather stay in Cinci.  Many players come to the realization that theyll never win a super bowl and OK with it. Green is probably in that phase.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 11:49 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Humm.  This guy may know something.  He could just be milking the situation.  Nevertheless, Green to the Saints would be great for Green.  

Can you imagine Brees throwing to Michael Thomas and AJ Green?  (Plus all 3 are on my fantasy team Tongue)
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 01:29 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: its because Larry Fritz spent his entire career with one team, so Green wants to do the same

I get that, but Fitz didn't spend his entire career playing for Mike Brown, that's a whoe different ball of wax.  Honestly if AJ spends his whole career here and we still don't start a ring of honor at the very least...
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's weird. The Steelers win and are generally managed well, so what they do is viewed as the right decision. Guys generally like to play there too.

Cincinnati Siberian Tigers.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There are plenty of examples of other teams just saying "Get the hell out" and taking some sort of pick, meanwhile Mike Brown and Dan Snyder are more interested in winning arguments than they are in winning actual games.

Who am I kidding?  We're not going to turn things around by trading any more than we are going to turn things around by making him retire in shame.

Indeed. Some teams value a good, healthy locker room culture.

Here, we view it as IF we give in to one player...the rest will all want to leave. Which is kind of a sad view.

Studies show that having a healthy work environment leads to better productivity.
Reply/Quote