Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
your top 10 favorite bengals ever
(06-18-2022, 12:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt it's hard. 10 I loved but haven't seen listed:

Bobbie Williams

Jeremi Johnson 

Issac Curtis

Eddie Edwards

Eric Thomas

Brian Simmons

Levi Jones (fought Jerry Porter and his whole "posse"" to a draw)

Germaine Gresham

(TouchDown) Eddie Brown

Leon Hall

The Ballard HS star almost made my list
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Lemar Parrish. If you weren't old enough to see him in the early 70's, you missed one of the most electrifying players of that era. Some of his kick returns/interception returns defied the laws of physics.

Ken Riley- another 70's legend and HOF level player.

Chad Johnson- face of the franchise for a decade and super entertaining and fan friendly.

Steve Chomyszak- might be the toughest player ever to wear the Orange and Black.

Ernie Wright- Wish he had played more years here instead of just at the very end of his career.

Ken Dyer- Nobody ever sacrificed more to be a Bengal. Tragic.

Greg Cook- Could've, Should've been the GOAT. We would have some Lombardi's in the 70's if he hadn't gotten hurt.

Rudi Johnson- Underdog and played his heart out.

Anthony Munoz- The Ambassador. Enough said.

Jon Kitna- Easy to like because of his heart and character.
Reply/Quote
1.) Geno Atkins
2.) Chad Johnson
3.) Madieu Williams
4.)Carlos Dunlap
5.)Michael Johnson
6.) Houshmandzadeh
7.)Leon Hall
8.)Jessie Bstes
9.) George Iloka
10.) Wallace Gilberry
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'm going with the guys I've watched and remember playing. No order... 

James Brooks
Tim Krumrie
David Fulcher 
Boomer 
Corey Dillon 
Chad 
Whit 
Geno 
AC Green 
Munoz

Burrow will probably supplant someone here if he continues to ball.

Honorable mention to Burfict (for finally retaliating against Shitsburgh)

Shout out to Coach Wyche

Who Dey

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 07:43 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Any list that doesn't include Ken Riley is a bad one.  Just my opinion.    :)

I guess if you were too young to have watched him play, you might exclude him?
Reply/Quote
My first exposure to the Bengals was in the 90's, so many of those old greats I never really watched.
As such, I won't include them in my list.

1) Chad Johnson - He was the reason I got into football at all. I was 100% a hockey person until I watched Chad. He made football fun.
2) Geno Atkins - First defensive jersey I ever bought.
3) AJ Green - Got his autograph from his rookie year on a rookie jersey. Really wish we could have seen Green and Chad together, but the Bengals traded Chad before the season started.
4) Ced Benson - Loved when the Bengals added him midseason in 2008. Dude ran mean.
5) Andrew Whitworth - My favorite bengals OL once I started really watching football a lot.
6) TJ Houshmandzadeh - Loved his consistency and reliability.
7) Vontaze Burfict - I didn't like the penalties, but I thought he was one of the best LBs the Bengals have had since I started really watching a lot of football.
8) Reggie Nelson - Loved what Nelson brought to the defense. I remember being excited the Bengals actually had a legit ball hawking FS after a few years of just meh FS play.
9) Clint Boling - He was just good year after year. I really liked seeing him play well when shifting back to LT too after all those years away from that spot.
10) Leon Hall - I'll always remember him getting beat bad by Braylon Edwards in September 2007, his rookie year. But he really became a damn good CB for years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 07:29 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: mine no order

andrew whitworth
ken anderson
bob trumpy
eddie edwards
isaac curtic
anthony munoz
jim leclair
reggiec williams
jim breech
tim krumrie

Cool thread.  Here are mine, also not in order:

James Brooks-  Ahead of his time.  Had over 5 YPC for four different seasons.  An outstanding receiver.  Elusive, but tough as nails. He weighed WAY less than 200 lbs, but he would never run out of bounds without lowering his shoulder and running through the guy that was there to force him out.  He was my favorite Bengal for a long time. 

Andrew Whitworth-  A rock.  High talent/high character guy.  His quote about having two contracts in his life:  "one is with my wife, and the other is to protect Andy Dalton"...just fell in love with the guy.  A great lesson for those willing to give up on the likes of Carman...Whit struggled BIG TIME early on when moved to tackle, but sure became one of the best.  

Boomer Esiason-  A leader.  Confident and charismatic.  NFL MVP.  The fact that his organization has raised OVER 100 million dollars for research for Cystic Fibrosis (his son Gunner has CF) only makes him even more special.

Ken Anderson-  Accuracy, thy name is Kenny.  I will never forget his MVP season, either.  That offense was perfect for Ken Anderson.  He was a tough SOB, too.  Got a shit-ton of dirty shots over the years (thank you team to the east) and QBs weren't nearly as protected.  He was also an underrated runner.  Great athlete...should be in the HOF. 

Chad Johnson-  I know, act like you have been there.  Chad's antics go against everything I was about as an athlete.  I still love him.  I also understand him.  Never knew his father.  His mother left him with her mother when she moved to LA because she couldn't handle him.  Not trying to play psychologist, but he probably has a deep seeded need to be loved.  Well, I love him.  And if all the Bengals on those teams put themselves out there and held themselves to the standard that Chad did with his "list", you may have seen more success. 

Joe Burrow-  Call it recency bias, Joe has taken the top spot for me.  From Ohio.  Didn't listen to the talking heads put down the Bengals.  In two seasons he made it cool to be a Bengal.  Not a Bengals fan, but a Bengal.  I have zero doubts he will win multiple championships here.  He is like a QB I would make on a computer.  Has every trait and the heart of a lion.  Paul Daugherty calls him "St. Joe".  Pretty fitting.

Ja'Marr Chase-  I have never seen a rookie come in and have his kind of impact in Cincinnati.  He does everything in amazing fashion.  He's deceptively strong, too.  Love how badly he wants to win.  A perfect complement to Burrow.  Hope he never leaves and I hope they retire the same season (in about 15 years) and they then go to the HOF together.  I also admire that he had a little controversy and challenges with drops early on and he didn't hide from them, he offered honest opinions, worked his ass off, and put them behind them.  At just 21 years of age, played and behaved like a seasoned vet.  This, after a year away from the game.  Freaking amazing.

Jeff Blake-  A bright light in a dark era.  Prettiest (and deadly accurate) deep ball I have ever seen.  He was like a glass of water for a guy crawling through the desert.  

Tim Krumrie-  A 10th round pick that played with absolute nasty intensity.  I can't believe as a 3-4 NT (at all of 300 lbs) he led the team in tackles.  I doubt that happened before or since.  

Anthony Munoz-  People refer to him as the best human being they know, and not just the best LT of all time.  I have had the opportunity to meet him as a kid in 8th grade when he signed autographs at a local JC Penny when he was drafted and have been around him for several community volunteer events.  Great man, possibly the greatest Bengal of all time.

Although I think Lamar Parrish and Ken Riley are freaks and should be in the HOF, they played in what I call the newspaper era and I was at the age when I wouldn't have been reading a paper.  I did have them all over my scrapbooks and on posters on my wall.  But I didn't know a thing about them other than how they played.  Paul Brown is a legend.  Sam Wyche was an innovator.  There are so many others that I could add to the list, but this is just my favorites for reasons I tried to explain.  They each gave me moments I won't forget as a fan.  
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 09:04 PM)puddycat Wrote: Corey Dillon
David Fulcher
Vontaze Burfict
James Brooks
Ken Anderson
AJ Green
Tim Krumrie
Geno Atkins
Gio Bernard
Joe Burrow

Gio is one I should have at least mentioned.  High character guy that I think wasn't the same after the assbagging by Shazier.  
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 10:52 PM)samhain Wrote: Willie Anderson
Joe Burrow
Chad Johnson
Geno Atkins
Corey Dillon
Ja''marr Chase
Tim Krumrie
Adam Jones
AJ Green
Andrew Whitworth

It's wild to think of how many games I've been to and watched and be living in a reality where there's a strong chance that I've never liked a group of players more than the one we have now.  We live in a crazy time to be a Bengals fan.

Truth!

Heck, I could make a top 10 of current Bengals right now off the top of my head (favorites):

Joe Burrow
Ja' Marr Chase
Tee Higgins
Logan Wilson
Shooter McPherson
Tyler Boyd
Chido Awuzie
Chris Evans
Jessie Bates
Sam Hubbard

And I also love Reader, Hendrickson, some of the coaches, Mixon...This is my fav team of all time.  Last year was just magic and I believe they will get back and finish the job.  
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 11:54 PM)wcu Wrote: David Fulcher
Anthony Munoz
Boomer
Corey Dillon
Rudi Johnson
Chad Johnson
Geno Atkins
Reggie Nelson
AJ Green
Ja'marr Chase

Burrow and Hendrickson will probably replace Green and Nelson in a year or two.

I could have had Nelson for one reason:  He was a steeler killer.  
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 10:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Speaking of:

[Image: Odell_Thurman.jpg]

Odell Thurman.  He had 5 INTs and 5 forced fumbles his rookie season.  That's game-changing.  Loved the "hair on fire" nature he played with.  Made plays without fear of making mistakes.  When he thought he saw something, he "flew" in to action.   (your pic)

Sadly, alcohol ended his career here way too soon.  I believe he got himself sober and now coaches  in the CFL???
Reply/Quote
So I have been scanning the lists trying to come up with some guys who have not been mentioned yet.  Here are a few.

TE Dan Ross.... Still holds Bengal single season records for Tight Ends receptions (71) and yards (910).  Set Super Bowl record with 11 receptions)

TE Rodney Holman.... 3 time Pro Bowler.  For a 6 year stretch ('85-'90) no other TE in the league had more tds or a higher average per catch.

DE Eddie Edwards.... 50 sacks in 5 years ('80-'84) despite missing 7 games in '82.

DL Dan Wilkinson.... Among best interior line pass rushers in the league.  Moved to DE his final year as a Bengal.  So good that we got 2 first round picks when we traded him to Washington.

RB Essex Johnson.... From 1970-73 he averaged 960 yards from scrimmage, 4.7 yards per carry, and 14.2 yards per reception (86 for 1224 yds).  In those 4 years He had 9 receiving tds with 6 of them 39 yards or longer (39, 49, 51, 65, 67, and 78)  He also had 4 rushes of 40+ yards (86, 68, 49, 46)

RB Boobie Clark.... Just a one-year-wonder (rookie season 1335 yards from scrimmage in 14 game season) but he makes my list on his name alone.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 10:22 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'm going with the guys I've watched and remember playing. No order... 

James Brooks
Tim Krumrie
David Fulcher 
Boomer 
Corey Dillon 
Chad 
Whit 
Geno 
AC Green 
Munoz

Burrow will probably supplant someone here if he continues to ball.

Honorable mention to Burfict (for finally retaliating against Shitsburgh)

Shout out to Coach Wyche

Who Dey

I can not believe he hasn't been mentioned before now.  Shocked

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 02:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I can not believe he hasn't been mentioned before now.  Shocked

LOL

Bonus points if you can name the announcer that called him that.
Reply/Quote
another guy i really liked to watch play was dan ross. he doesn't get enough credit for how good he was.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 03:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: LOL

I can't say for a certainty but the first name that pops into my head is James Lofton.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

I remember when it happened, but I can't remember who it was.  Sounds like something moron Dan Fouts would say.
Reply/Quote

I did not know it was an announcer.

All I recall was a member here calling him "AC".  Guess I was missing the joke all these years.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 04:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not know it was an announcer.

All I recall was a member here calling him "AC".  Guess I was missing the joke all these years.

Pretty certain there was an announcer during a game that called him AC two or three times until the other announcer corrected him laughing or whatever.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 11:48 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I guess if you were too young to have watched him play, you might exclude him?

A lot of the reason he gets overlooked for the Hall so much, and all his interceptions are overlooked, is that many feel he was the 2nd best CB on his own team. QB's were terrified to throw at Parrish, so Riley got a lot of balls thrown his way. 

Of course, Riley had great seasons and high INT years after Pareish left, so..

Parrish deserves to be in as well, but never will due to the drug problems. 
Reply/Quote