Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
your top 10 favorite bengals ever
(06-20-2022, 07:23 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: A lot of the reason he gets overlooked for the Hall so much, and all his interceptions are overlooked, is that many feel he was the 2nd best CB on his own team. QB's were terrified to throw at Parrish, so Riley got a lot of balls thrown his way. 

Of course, Riley had great seasons and high INT years after Pareish left, so..

Parrish deserves to be in as well, but never will due to the drug problems. 

For sure. Riley had an amazing career, but I don't list him among my fav Bengals since I am too young to have watched him play. If the thread were "best Bengals" he'd be on the list.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 10:20 PM)Go Cards Wrote: The Ballard HS star almost made my list

He made my list too; super-popular player, relative to his position.

Best blocking FB we've ever had and it isn't close.

(06-20-2022, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So I have been scanning the lists trying to come up with some guys who have not been mentioned yet.  Here are a few.

TE Dan Ross.... Still holds Bengal single season records for Tight Ends receptions (71) and yards (910).  Set Super Bowl record with 11 receptions)

TE Rodney Holman.... 3 time Pro Bowler.  For a 6 year stretch ('85-'90) no other TE in the league had more tds or a higher average per catch.

DE Eddie Edwards.... 50 sacks in 5 years ('80-'84) despite missing 7 games in '82.

DL Dan Wilkinson.... Among best interior line pass rushers in the league.  Moved to DE his final year as a Bengal.  So good that we got 2 first round picks when we traded him to Washington.

RB Essex Johnson.... From 1970-73 he averaged 960 yards from scrimmage, 4.7 yards per carry, and 14.2 yards per reception (86 for 1224 yds).  In those 4 years He had 9 receiving tds with 6 of them 39 yards or longer (39, 49, 51, 65, 67, and 78)  He also had 4 rushes of 40+ yards (86, 68, 49, 46)

RB Boobie Clark.... Just a one-year-wonder (rookie season 1335 yards from scrimmage in 14 game season) but he makes my list on his name alone.

He made my list Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Time to add my humble contribution to the thread and, as others have posted, my list isn't intended as a 1 to 10 ranking of most favorite to least favorite. I, as a young kid, started rooting for the team in 1987. I share this information because my list excludes many Bengals greats from seasons prior to the '87 - '88 season since I never watched those teams play.

1. Boomer Esiason
2. Jeff Blake
3. Joe Burrow
4. Chad Johnson
5. Eddie Brown
6. Ja'Marr Chase
7. Ickey Woods
8. Corey Dillon
9. Anthony Munoz
10. David Fulcher

Only one defensive player made my list. I wish I had room for Tim Krumrie & James Brooks.

Fulcher was great to use in Tecmo Super Bowl, just an fyi.
Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2022, 09:16 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: For sure. Riley had an amazing career, but I don't list him among my fav Bengals since I am too young to have watched him play. If the thread were "best Bengals" he'd be on the list.

Yes....my list would look different too, if we're going all time greats.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I started following the Bengals in 1973. I was in 5th grade and playing MLB for my Pee-Wee team. I was immediately a big fan of Bill Bergey even though I had never really watched him play. To this day I can not really remember any specific big plays Bergey made in '73 and he was traded after that season.

He is obviously one of the best players in Bengal history. We got 2 first round picks and 1 second from the Eagles. At one point he was the highest paid defensive player in the league. But it feels strange putting him on my all-time favorite team when I don't really remember his greatness.
Reply/Quote