Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** (/Thread-2023-NFL-Draft-Thread)

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Joelist - 04-29-2023

The thing is, had we tried more to move Jonah or any number of other moves we would have had more picks, more ammo to use to trade around. Also, with our terrible late round track record of late picks in Rds 5-7 should be easily traded. Add in our historical reluctance to trade up and you get our usual lethargic drafting.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 01:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Not as weird as being a professional sports team named after a skin color.

Oh, please. Paul Brown. 

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Nately120 - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 01:54 PM)Stewy Wrote: I love how the pick announcer gets all the fans hyped up, then announces a pick no one knows......then the fans in the crowd yell loudly for 1 second, then all get "puzzled WTF is that looks on their faces", then the "fuk it, I'll just yell louder" attitude for the unknown player.  Hilarious.

The late rounds are where the silly stuff happens because damn near no one outside of "here is my 7 round mock draft of the day 13 months before the draft" guys know much about any prospects outside of the 1st round.  People who aren't used to being on TV awkwardly make picks while mascots stand in the background and the camera stays on the whole thing way too long and no one knows what to do.

LATE ROUND PICK SCRIPT

SOME KID - With the 4657th pick, the Jaguars select 

*mascot starts rubbing his hands together*

Joey Joey Joey Shabadoo Jr......defensive tackle.......from Upper Uppington Barber College.

*mascot starts silent cheering animation*

ANNOUNCERS - Ooooh, Joey Joey Joey Shabadoo Jr., Upper Uppington Barber College...you get this kid in the right situation and coach him up?  Could have the real gem of the draft right here.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Truck_1_0_1_ - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 01:41 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: The 4th Rd . The same Rd that we grabbed Geno in if I remember correctly. I could see DB again here or maybe the DT and Geno clone out of BGSU.

(04-29-2023, 01:44 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Brooks had 10 sacks but he played in the MAC.  I dont know if I would take him in the 4th, maybe look at him in the 5th

Mack did the same with Buffalo, he went 3rd overall.

Brooks is a stud, would be over the moon if we got him, but I don't think we go D for at least 2 more rounds.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - coachmcneil71 - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 01:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Real question. How often has a RB ever done nothing for 4 years and then broken out in their 5th NFL season? RB sure feels like a position where you either show you can be good in the first 2 years or you're never good.

There are several factors to consider in your post. We will see how this plays out and discuss it at more length in a few months. I agree that they should and most likely will draft another RB.   

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - KillerGoose - 04-29-2023

Bengals are doing a good job overall of taking BPA. Each player they have drafted so far has been good value. Murphy was the 17th best prospect by consensus, Turner the 51st and Battle the 74th. They were taken 28th, 60th, and 95th. Great value.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Bengal Dude - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 02:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The late rounds are where the silly stuff happens because damn near no one outside of "here is my 7 round mock draft of the day 13 months before the draft" guys know much about any prospects outside of the 1st round.  People who aren't used to being on TV awkwardly make picks while mascots stand in the background and the camera stays on the whole thing way too long and no one knows what to do.

LATE ROUND PICK SCRIPT

Joey Joey Joey Shabadoo Jr......defensive tackle.......from Upper Uppington Barber College.

ANNOUNCERS - Ooooh, Joey Joey Joey Shabadoo Jr., Upper Uppington Barber College...you get this kid in the right situation and coach him up?  Could have the real gem of the draft right here.

I'd rather they get back to letting zoo animals announce picks.

Gaines gone. 4th must be the round for guards. McClendon the only ine I'd take left.

Ford is having a good draft, even though he wants to play tackle.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Nepa - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 01:38 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Agreed, I doubt we take 2 of anything today. 

Pitt getting Wasington and the Browns taking Jones has me salty, though. Real salty. 

And Pitt getting Joey Porter, Jr. has me salty. Another ten years of the son playing against the Bengals and the father being shown on TV and interviewed.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Truck_1_0_1_ - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 01:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Real question. How often has a RB ever done nothing for 4 years and then broken out in their 5th NFL season? RB sure feels like a position where you either show you can be good in the first 2 years or you're never good.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GarnCh00.htm

Now, he didn't do NOTHING for 4 years, but he sat around as a backup for *6* years before doing somethng.

(04-29-2023, 02:04 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'd rather they get back to letting zoo animals announce picks.

I heard Harambe was actually shot because he picked Roberto Aguayo in the 2016 draft.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - coachmcneil71 - 04-29-2023

Seattle is having a good draft.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - TheLeonardLeap - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 02:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The late rounds are where the silly stuff happens because damn near no one outside of "here is my 7 round mock draft of the day 13 months before the draft" guys know much about any prospects outside of the 1st round.  People who aren't used to being on TV awkwardly make picks while mascots stand in the background and the camera stays on the whole thing way too long and no one knows what to do.

LATE ROUND PICK SCRIPT

I feel a bit like an old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn when it comes to drafts. Rather than it being a big event with a crowd, guest pickers, players in a waiting room, and all that... I loved it being in like a single quiet convention hall in the middle of a weekday, the commissioner stands at the podium, gets handed a card, reads the pick, and they move onto the next one as the commissioner keeps standing there. 

Sadly too much money available to go back to a simple quick and quiet efficient draft process now.

I'd be OK with Brooks (DT) or a big corner (Flowers replacement: Trice or Rush), but gotta be offense, yes?

WR: Scott,,Jones, Washington, Perry
TE: Kuntz, Whyle, Mallory, Allen
RB: Abanikands, Brown, McBride
C: Wypler

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Soonerpeace - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 01:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Who is worth trading up for?

Not knowing all the info it’s hard to realistically comment. To me from before the draft started I viewed TE & RT the biggest needs. They were looking hard at Anton Harrison so that must mean Jonah is gone. That could have changed. I wouldn’t have drafted Battle. I don’t question the value or adding him. But was it too much BPA? I’m not comfortable with Smith ( injury wise not performance wise) To me they are targeting people like Kincaid and Freeland that are going way earlier than their pick status. It will be interesting the final TE and RB rooms.

(04-29-2023, 02:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I feel a bit like an old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn when it comes to drafts. Rather than it being a big event with a crowd, guest pickers, players in a waiting room, and all that... I loved it being in like a single quiet convention hall in the middle of a weekday, the commissioner stands at the podium, gets handed a card, reads the pick, and they move onto the next one as the commissioner keeps standing there. 

Sadly too much money available to go back to a simple quick and quiet efficient draft process now.

Yeah, the days when the draft was held in a room that looked like every wedding reception picture from the 70s.

If you miss low-key drafts, I'm going tune into the CFL draft on Tuesday.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - 007BengalsFan - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 02:00 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: 10 picks left. Multiple guys at offensive spots I'd be happy with here:

TE: Kuntz, Whyle, Mallory, maybe Allen
WR: Scott, Jones, Washington, Perry
RB: Abanikanda, McBride, Brown
C: Wypler
CB: Trice, Rush

of the TEs I would take Mallory then Kuntz.  Both have great speed.  Whyle is a little slow

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - CJD - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 12:54 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Irv Smith is a weapon. It won't surprise me if he gets somewhere around 6-8 TDs this season. I think many on here are selling him short and will be doing a 180 come the regular season.

I don't think anyone doubts his talent. The question is more about his ability to stay healthy.

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - KillerGoose - 04-29-2023

Not very often. You'll have isolated instances of guys like this who may have a good game breaking out is very uncommon. Look at a guy like Jerome Harrison who was used very minimally and then ripped off a 250 yard game to finish with 800 yards back in 2009. That was pretty much the end of his career. 

It's normally a pretty safe bet that if a guy hasn't shown much in his first four years then he isn't going going to show any more. 

RE: ***2023 NFL Draft Thread*** - Nepa - 04-29-2023

(04-29-2023, 02:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Not knowing all the info it’s hard to realistically comment. To me from before the draft started I viewed TE & RT the biggest needs. They were looking hard at Anton Harrison so that must mean Jonah is gone. That could have changed. I wouldn’t have drafted Battle. I don’t question the value or adding him. But was it too much BPA? I’m not comfortable with Smith ( injury wise not performance wise) To me they are targeting people like Kincaid and Freeland that are going way earlier than their pick status. It will be interesting the final TE and RB rooms.

They were interviewing players like Mayer, so the Bengals clearly were concerned about TE. I suspect they pick one up this round.