Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Target removes gender based signage for kids - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Target removes gender based signage for kids (/Thread-Target-removes-gender-based-signage-for-kids)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - StLucieBengal - 08-14-2015

(08-13-2015, 09:07 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I didn't realize that you live in a world where there are only dolls or trucks. 

I didn't realize that you did not live in a world or proper manners and behavior. Evidently you have a problem with a woman being feminine.

They do not have to be the cookie cutter pain the rear end women who don't know how to be feminine.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - djs7685 - 08-14-2015

(08-13-2015, 09:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Society.

Again, you're being intentionally vague because you don't have a real answer.

Where is the rule book from "society" that determines what a "proper girl" should be doing throughout her life? I really need to know so my daughter doesn't grow a penis overnight.

(08-14-2015, 12:36 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Precisely why we are doing what we are doing.   So they know what bad behavior is and to not follow anyone to bad behavior.

Sure, you wouldn't want your daughters eating the wrong type of food or else they'll turn into one of those yucky boys, because that makes a lot of sense.

This thread is full of people dodging answers and sounding like cavemen.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - BmorePat87 - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 12:50 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I didn't realize that you did not live in a world or proper manners and behavior.   Evidently you have a problem with a woman being feminine.  

They do not have to be the cookie cutter pain the rear end women who don't know how to be feminine.

Because I think it's ok for girls to play with gender neutral toys and would encourage my daughter to be interested in math and science, I have a problem with girls being feminine?

You don't make a lot a sense.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - GMDino - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 12:34 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well they can want to grow wings.  But we can see how far they will get on either of those.  

Girls play sports with girls.   End of.

Soccer then?  I played with girls who were better at soccer than some of the guys.

You are REALLY setting yourself up for a major disappointment unless you have them on THE tightest leash for the rest of their lives.

(08-14-2015, 12:36 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Precisely why we are doing what we are doing.   So they know what bad behavior is and to not follow anyone to bad behavior.

Lets be clear, what you are saying is you are raising your girls to do what you want based on what YOU think is proper.  Not that that is right or wrong, but you ar e coming off as "MY children will be polite and proper not savages" and really you're just doing what the rest of us try to do which is raise our kids to have a good sense of right and wrong.  The rest of us are just open to them doing something that isn't "gender specific".

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - GMDino - 08-14-2015

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/13/1411797/-Facebook-user-pretends-to-be-Target-help-desk-and-trolls-incensed-conservatives

Quote:Facebook user pretends to be Target help desk and trolls incensed conservatives

A few days ago Target announced that their stores would no longer separate boys' and girls' toy sections. Predictably, people who use the word "political correctness" started throwing that word around like it was politically correct to do so. Someone on Facebook decided to change their name to Ask ForHelp and put a Target bullseye logo and start responding to people attacking Target for this change in policy.

Such outrage over things that don't affect you at all! Smirk

(08-14-2015, 09:26 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/13/1411797/-Facebook-user-pretends-to-be-Target-help-desk-and-trolls-incensed-conservatives

Such outrage over things that don't affect you at all!   Smirk

It apparently does affect some people though.

Just read through this thread, we actually have people on these very boards that are willing to admit that they're not mentally fit to tell the difference between boys and girls clothing and toys without the shelving being color coded. Also, we have people willing to admit that the reason for their outrage is that it may possibly take a few extra seconds to find the correct aisle in Target now.

Can't even make this shit up, it's mind boggling on here sometimes.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - bfine32 - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 08:42 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Again, you're being intentionally vague because you don't have a real answer.

Where is the rule book from "society" that determines what a "proper girl" should be doing throughout her life? I really need to know so my daughter doesn't grow a penis overnight.

Sure, you wouldn't want your daughters eating the wrong type of food or else they'll turn into one of those yucky boys, because that makes a lot of sense.

This thread is full of people dodging answers and sounding like cavemen.

If you do not understand the concept of societal norms by now; then a post in a message board is not going to enlighten you. There is no intention of being vague; really not sure how much more descriptive I can be or avoid sounding like a “caveman”.

I’m sorry but you do not get to use all the “good” words. By definition encouraging young girls to participate in activities dominated by men and violence is not proper. It can be considered: ceiling-breaking, gender-neutral, liberal, barrier-eroding, unbiased, ect...  It cannot be considered: proper, conservative, ladylike, traditional, ect…

(08-14-2015, 10:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: If you do not understand the concept of societal norms by now; then a post in a message board is not going to enlighten you. There is no intention of being vague; really not sure how much more descriptive I can be or avoid sounding like a “caveman”.

I’m sorry but you do not get to use all the “good” words. By definition encouraging young girls to participate in activities dominated by men and violence is not proper. It can be considered: ceiling-breaking, gender-neutral, liberal, barrier-eroding, unbiased, ect...  It cannot be considered: proper, conservative, ladylike, traditional, ect…

So again, where's the book that tells me what she can and can't do? I really need to know, I don't want to mess this one up!

Chicken wings and beer are obviously off the list. Co-ed youth soccer is a no-go. Building blocks are out of the shopping cart (unless they're bright pink and purple, I think?).

I need to know what else I should/shouldn't do for her. I'd really rather her not turn into a werewolf, zombie, or a boy, and even though I thought I had all 3 of those covered, apparently I don't! HALP!

(08-14-2015, 10:23 AM)djs7685 Wrote: So again, where's the book that tells me what she can and can't do? I really need to know, I don't want to mess this one up!

Chicken wings and beer are obviously off the list. Co-ed youth soccer is a no-go. Building blocks are out of the shopping cart (unless they're bright pink and purple, I think?).

I need to know what else I should/shouldn't do for her. I'd really rather her not turn into a werewolf, zombie, or a boy, and even though I thought I had all 3 of those covered, apparently I don't! HALP!

Who is telling you what she can and cannot do?

(08-14-2015, 10:31 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Who is telling you what she can and cannot do?

I was told that a lot of things are "improper", so I want to know how to raise a "proper" girl. I don't want her "being a boy", ya dig?

I thought you were good at following along. I never said that anyone is forcing me to do anything. When I said "So again, where's the book that tells me what she can and can't do?" that obviously means "So again, where's the book that tells me what she can and can't do (to be proper)?". If you follow along with context and such, you'd know that. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Instead of derailment to nitpick semantics and ignore context, how about you respond to my post instead?

(08-14-2015, 10:34 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I was told that a lot of things are "improper", so I want to know how to raise a "proper" girl. I don't want her "being a boy", ya dig?

I thought you were good at following along. I never said that anyone is forcing me to do anything. When I said "So again, where's the book that tells me what she can and can't do?" that obviously means "So again, where's the book that tells me what she can and can't do (to be proper)?". If you follow along with context and such, you'd know that. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Instead of derailment to nitpick semantics and ignore context, how about you respond to my post instead?

I have responded to your questions numerous times and provided you with thoughtful answers. Not sure what I have done to derail, nitpick semantics ( I provided you a definition you asked for), or ignore context.Your question has been answered. The fact that you keep asking it does not change that fact.

The rest of your post is just more of previously demonstrated foolishness.

(08-14-2015, 10:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I have responded to your questions numerous times and provided you with thoughtful answers. Not sure what I have done to derail, nitpick semantics ( I provided you a definition you asked for), or ignore context.Your question has been answered. The fact that you keep asking it does not change that fact.

The rest of your post is just more of previously demonstrated foolishness.

No, you never actually answered them though. You claiming that you have doesn't change that fact.

If you don't agree with everything Lucie is saying, you can just say that instead of what you're currently doing.

My "foolishness" is in response to DIRECT QUOTES from Lucie. I'm asking you where eating chicken wings, drinking beer, playing co-ed soccer, and playing with neutral colored building blocks are at in the book of "improper".

You can either A.) Explain how those things aren't "proper", or B.) Let me know that you disagree with Lucie, or C.) Keep ignoring key points by using vague definitions that don't actually answer anything I'm asking for.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Belsnickel - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 10:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote:  

No obvious bias in this post at all. LOL

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Benton - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 09:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: Soccer then?  I played with girls who were better at soccer than some of the guys.

You are REALLY setting yourself up for a major disappointment unless you have them on THE tightest leash for the rest of their lives.

Lets be clear, what you are saying is you are raising your girls to do what you want based on what YOU think is proper.  Not that that is right or wrong, but you ar e coming off as "MY children will be polite and proper not savages" and really you're just doing what the rest of us try to do which is raise our kids to have a good sense of right and wrong.  The rest of us are just open to them doing something that isn't "gender specific".

There used to be several small schools in my area where high school soccer teams were coed. Not any Title IX stuff, it was just because there weren't enough kids to field teams of opposite sexes.

(08-14-2015, 12:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No obvious bias in this post at all. LOL

What is biased?

(08-14-2015, 12:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What is biased?

Why did you ignore post #172? Is that your tactic now, just completely ignore posts when you're clearly fighting an uphill battle?

It seems like you have a really tough time admitting that you don't agree with Lucie about something, or that you have a really tough time justifying how eating chicken wings and playing co-ed sports is going to turn my daughter into a boy.

Oh, and to answer the question about the bias, I'm guessing that some people feel that inserting your opinions into a post as if they're factual definitions may be considered "biased". There's a lot of subjectivity to a lot of the words you're using, yet you're acting as if your personal opinions are the 100%, factual, concrete meanings.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Belsnickel - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 12:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What is biased?

If you do not see the bias, then a post on a message board isn't going to enlighten you.

(08-14-2015, 12:41 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Why did you ignore post #172? Is that your tactic now, just completely ignore posts when you're clearly fighting an uphill battle?

It seems like you have a really tough time admitting that you don't agree with Lucie about something, or that you have a really tough time justifying how eating chicken wings and playing co-ed sports is going to turn my daughter into a boy.

I “ignored” post 172, because I have already answered posts 162, 168, and 170 on this page alone. Sometimes you just realize the person you are talking with is unhappy with or refuses to accept the answers you provided. We that happens I generally move on.

FWIW, if Lucie stated eating chicken wings and playing coed sports would turn your daughter into a boy, then I do not agree with that notion.

I hope this concludes our business of the matter.

(08-14-2015, 12:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If you do not see the bias, then a post on a message board isn't going to enlighten you.

Solid answer.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - BmorePat87 - 08-14-2015

I hate to break it to anyone who thinks society still demands that women stay out of male dominated activities/professions, but a lot has changed in the past 40 years.

That's the thing with society, it's very fluid. While someone might think that it's ok to deny rights to gay people, make their daughters practice being subservient, or whatever was considered the right thing to do 40 years ago because society said to, that's not what society pushes for today.

In fact, it just sounds ridiculous to suggest there's something wrong with letting your daughter play with science kits or legos or whatever other toys traditional were reserved for boys.