Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back (/Thread-Rotoworld-Bengals-want-Russell-Bodine-back)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Pat5775 - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 12:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Only reason I can think of is because people are afraid of Mike Brown having too much of his input on OL prospects. Hopefully by not having much involvement from Mike Brown, it would mean Pollack could have more say in which OL are picked and when rather than be outranked by Brown.

Pretty much this.

Mike should have as little input as possible. It just sucks that he values the Oline so little. He doesn't seem to understand how crucial a competent Oline is for success.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Hoofhearted - 01-29-2018

(01-28-2018, 08:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess there is that chance that Pollack evaluated the personnel and told Marvin, "I think I can work with this guy".

It's infuriating to hear about "changes" and then coming out and saying a bottom 5 center is a priority. C'mon.  Cry

Hobspin is already being cryptic about not taking a lineman @ 12, and the possibility of taking one in the second is kinda low as well.

Quote:“We’re all looking for the same guy,” Tobin said. “We’re always looking for big, we’re always looking for strong, we’re always looking for physical, we’re always looking for balance, we’re always looking for intelligence, we’re always looking for production. It gets down to having to accept the flaws. What flaws are you willing to accept? That’s what it’s all about.  That’s what we’ll talk about.”

The best guards in the game are the Bengals’ type of guys in Georgia’s Isaiah Wynn and Texas-El Paso’s 340-pound bulldozer Will Hernandez. Big and big schools. But they don’t figure to be in the Bengals’ wheelhouse since some see them as top 50 guys.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Socal Bengals fan - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Most experts had him projected as 3rd-4th round.

he may not have panned out, but he was not a "reach".

Walters draft listed him as a 5th to 7th round draft pick.  (Just another guy) .  I'm not sure who your experts were but it's safe to say they were wrong on him.  

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Shake n Blake - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 01:03 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Pretty much this.

Mike should have as little input as possible. It just sucks that he values the Oline so little. He doesn't seem to understand how crucial a competent Oline is for success.

Which is interesting, because our SB teams in the 80's had amazing lines. 2005 was an incredible line with very good interior linemen (Braham, Steinbach, Bobbie).

You'd think he'd remember that, but I guess he only remembers Boomer, Kenny, Carson, Ickey, Brooks, Chad and Housh.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Go Cards - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 01:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Which is interesting, because our SB teams in the 80's had amazing lines. 2005 was an incredible line with very good interior linemen (Braham, Steinbach, Bobbie).

You'd think he'd remember that, but I guess he only remembers Boomer, Kenny, Carson, Ickey, Brooks, Chad and Housh.

Probably most SB teams have good OL's. 

Just an easy place to be cheap at for MB. 

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - ochocincos - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 01:46 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Walters draft listed him as a 5th to 7th round draft pick.  (Just another guy) .  I'm not sure who your experts were but it's safe to say they were wrong on him.  

NFL.com had Bodine listed as a 3-4.
4th round was appropriate for him I think.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - fredtoast - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 01:03 PM)Pat5775 Wrote:  He doesn't seem to understand how crucial a competent Oline is for success.

I don't know why so many people keep saying this.  Just three years ago the same people were complaining about using both a first and second round pick on O-line.

MB made Levi Jones and Willie Anderson the highest paid pair of starting tackles in the league.  He has also paid lots of other O-linemen well including Bobboe Williams, Whitworth, Andre Smith, Stacey Andrews, and Clint Boling.

In 2015 we used a first and second round pick on O-linemen

In 2014 we traded up in the third round to get an O-lineman.

In 2012 we used a first round pick on an O-lineman.

In 2009 we used a first round pick on an O-lineman.

This is "Fake" news

(01-29-2018, 02:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know why so many people keep saying this.  Just three years ago the same people were complaining about using both a first and second round pick on O-line.

MB made Levi Jones and Willie Anderson the highest paid pair of starting tackles in the league.  He has also paid lots of other O-linemen well including Bobboe Williams, Whitworth, Andre Smith, Stacey Andrews, and Clint Boling.

Got to draft better as well so we do not have to keep on drafting so often. 

By looking at those picks one would think the Bengals had a great line already instead of needing to draft a few more this year. 

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - ochocincos - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 02:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know why so many people keep saying this.  Just three years ago the same people were complaining about using both a first and second round pick on O-line.

I think everyone was actually fine with Andre in 2009, but he didn't turn out to be elite like everyone thought.
In 2012, the Bengals did the unexpected by taking a guard in the first round. People got mad that he didn't get a second contract even though he was good and the Bengals preach "Retain your own."
In 2014 it was a trade up in the fourth round, not third. And many have been irritated with the Bengals' unwillingness to invest a higher draft pick at C. So while Bodine I think was an adequate pick in the 4th round, many feel the Bengals need to get a C on Day 1 or 2 to have a top-15 C in the league.
In 2015, the Bengals simply made bad selections and/or had bad luck with the development of those players. But you're right that they did try to address the OL with high picks.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Shake n Blake - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 02:03 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Probably most SB teams have good OL's. 

Just an easy place to be cheap at for MB. 

Casual fans love skill position players and QB's. That's where Mike seems to invest the most.

Even now, a lot of fans are thinking a new QB will fix things.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Sled21 - 01-29-2018

At least we pick in front of the Bills, who just lost their starting Center forever....

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Benton - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 01:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:
Which is interesting, because our SB teams in the 80's had amazing lines
. 2005 was an incredible line with very good interior linemen (Braham, Steinbach, Bobbie).

That may be part of the problem. 

As fans, we look at those guys (especially after their careers) and go 'man, that guy stood out.' To coaches (and I'm assuming that carries over to owners), that's not always as easy to see because of their involvement day to day. They may know they've got a great guy at one spot, but their familiarity with him may make it harder to see just how good the guy really is compared to others.

Mike may look at some of the good linemen we've had over the years and think they're not that different from the mediocre ones based off the things we fans don't always see (practices, training, etc.).

Or maybe he's just ignorant to the fact that a strong interior is a necessity.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 02:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: At least we pick in front of the Bills, who just lost their starting Center forever....

That is a tough deal, and in no way do I want to make light of that.....however, as a move of good faith on our part for their generosity to Andy's foundation, I say the Bengals ship Blodine to them to fill that void.

(01-29-2018, 03:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: That is a tough deal, and in no way do I want to make light of that.....however, as a move of good faith on our part for their generosity to Andy's foundation, I say the Bengals ship Blodine to them to fill that void.

X- Louisville Cardinal, grew up Bengals fan, and from Cincinnati. 

Absolutely hated hearing this about Eric Wood.

Wish him well in his future.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 03:04 PM)Go Cards Wrote: X- Louisville Cardinal, grew up Bengals fan, and from Cincinnati. 

Absolutely hated hearing this about Eric Wood.

Wish him well in his future endeavors. 

Yep, me too.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Mike M (the other one) - 01-29-2018

(01-27-2018, 03:08 PM)BengalChris Wrote: After selecting Ross with the #9 pick last year and now they want to spend another pick in the first two rounds on a receiver. I believe Mike Brown is going to send AJ Green packing when his contract is up at the end of next year.

I doubt he would send AJ Green packing, more like AJ Green leaves for greener pastures.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - BengalsRocker - 01-30-2018

(01-28-2018, 11:56 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I doubt Mike brown gives two shits about the Oline. 

Which is both a blessing and a curse

I never said he cared about the O-line.

He certainly doesn't want to get an outside FA and doesn't want to waste another draft pick on the O-line.

It's more about "Throwing it up against the wall to see if it sticks but you know it won't but hey we don't want to change continuity until we're bled dry" mentality.

Is that specific enough?

BTW  Mike Brown keeps his shit in baggies like Howard Hughes did urine.

He's never giving a shit to any object or human for that matter.

You'd have to pry those two from his dead cold body.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - XenoMorph - 01-30-2018

Carolina's Center Kalil is retiring so add another team into the market.

RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - XenoMorph - 01-30-2018

(01-29-2018, 03:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: That is a tough deal, and in no way do I want to make light of that.....however, as a move of good faith on our part for their generosity to Andy's foundation, I say the Bengals ship Blodine to them to fill that void.

except they probly want the man himself... Dalton