Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-13-2024, 09:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good to know, I only knew about Jeff Simmons of those boys and that we got dominated by the Titans last year when Burrow was hurt.

I hope Tart has his head on straight, if so, he could be a good get for us as you said, he was really good early last year.

We signed back Tupou?

Tart's attitude is a very big issue.  We tried to claim him late last year so I guess they are ok with him...?

Tupou has not be re-signed, Im not surprised by that move.  I guess he could come back but he had some personal things last season.

Jay Tufele is still on the roster though.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:50 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Tart's attitude is a very big issue.  We tried to claim him late last year so I guess they are ok with him...?

Tupou has not be re-signed, Im not surprised by that move.  I guess he could come back but he had some personal things last season.

Hey, if we are okay with Tart's attitude I am fine with it and he goes back to playing like he did. Don't know the particulars.

Some people can get pissed off, it happens.

Actually like Tufele better than Tupou, thanks, glad he is still on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I am impressed you spelled sensei correctly  Hilarious

I bought those never need sharpening knives off an infomercial several years ago, that went dull after one month....

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:50 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Tart's attitude is a very big issue.  We tried to claim him late last year so I guess they are ok with him...?

Tupou is a genuine run stopper (at least a hole filler demanding a double team), are we sure that Tufele can do the same or better?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Boy, IDK if 2/$26 is what I'd call a bargain.

The cap hit year 1 is probably a bit smaller. I am hoping that is true for Sample as well.

But I'd guestimate our functional cap space at a little over $20 mil atm.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Tupou is a genuine run stopper (at least a hole filler demanding a double team), are we sure that Tufele can do the same or better?

Nope.  

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It'll be alright.  Coach Lou knows how to rotate his personnel.  Joshua Tupau will have to start earning his pay for two downs, then rotate to BJ and Rankins for 3rd down..

Tupou is a free agent.  So at this point we need to sign someone.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:38 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would you ever question the sensei, young grasshopper?

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=6c09b952298y6s3s3e5o9wgz0ny...w.gif&ct=g]
Reply/Quote
Rankins is a splash if we keep Reader or sign someone equivalent. +Rankins and -Reader isn’t a meaningful difference.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:55 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Nope.  

Tufele was good for like 2 or 3 games when Reader got Hurt in 2022.  Other than that, not so much.
Reply/Quote
We off the ledge a little yet? Hopefully still work to be done.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Tupou is a genuine run stopper (at least a hole filler demanding a double team), are we sure that Tufele can do the same or better?

Sure didn't look like a run stopper at all to me last year. Tupou was getting pushed all over the place in the games I watched.

(03-13-2024, 09:54 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Boy, IDK if 2/$26 is what I'd call a bargain.

The cap hit year 1 is probably a bit smaller. I am hoping that is true for Sample as well.

But I'd guestimate our functional cap space at a little over $20 mil atm.

Still like it. Pretty good for Rankins Pressure/Win rate which was top 10 for DL I heard.

(03-13-2024, 09:55 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Nope.  

Tufele didn't look as good to me either last year as he did the year before but Tupou looked bad when I watched him.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 10:04 PM)samhain Wrote: Tufele was good for like 2 or 3 games when Reader got Hurt in 2022.  Other than that, not so much.

We definitely need to pickup a serviceable NT.  Right now, Tufele is all we have.

Reply/Quote
I wanna call this stopping the bleeding, but you gave him 13M. Why not pay Wilkins 27M and actually have an upgrade over what we had last year.

Too late now, but would have preferred 2 really good players instead of these offseason moves.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 10:02 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Rankins is a splash if we keep Reader or sign someone equivalent. +Rankins and -Reader isn’t a meaningful difference.

Reader is a much better player than Rankins. Much better. It isn't apples to apples, though..
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 10:08 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I wanna call this stopping the bleeding, but you gave him 13M. Why not pay Wilkins 27M and actually have an upgrade over what we had last year.

Too late now, but would have preferred 2 really good players instead of these offseason moves.

Easy, $87.5M in guaranteed money.  Wilkins was not an option for our FO.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 10:08 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I wanna call this stopping the bleeding, but you gave him 13M. Why not pay Wilkins 27M and actually have an upgrade over what we had last year.

Wilkins isn't a 3T. You have to understand what is going on - a big need on defense was getting interior pass rush back which we have not had since Ogunjobi left. Enter Rankins. They aren't done, NT will also be on the menu. 
Reply/Quote
Major red flag for Trent Brown and the rumor he quit on the Patriots last year.

But if the price was right. I’d take him as a RT bandaid and to open up the draft to go BPA
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 10:16 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Major red flag for Trent Brown and the rumor he quit on the Patriots last year.

But if the price was right. I’d take him as a RT bandaid and to open up the draft to go BPA

Almost don't blame him with that team, but yeah, that is a red flag alright. Don't like quitters and that might be why Tart and Trent Brown
might not be who we want here.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 10:16 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Major red flag for Trent Brown and the rumor he quit on the Patriots last year.

So you want to put a malcontent LT at RT and think that somehow he will flourish?  I mean, it almost worked with Jonah Williams last year, but the team had that 5th year control so he was bound to try his best to impress the market.  What do you think that an unhappy Trent Brown would do at RT after settling for less than he and his agent feel he is worth?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote