Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-29-2024, 09:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who is Chad? 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trad%20chad

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/chad-meme
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
He didn't say anything that I wouldn't expect a conservative catholic man to believe anyway.

I'm not thrilled that there are people who think this way, but I'm not surprised that people like him exist either.

I have found it funny that some of his teammates have come out and said, "I don't associate with that guy" which is objectively hilarious.

I did roll my eyes a bit when I saw people campaigning for the Chiefs to cut him though.

They didn't cut Rice for endangering a bunch of people's lives and assaulting someone. They're not going to cut a player because he has views that a lot of people don't like.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 10:01 AM)CJD Wrote: He didn't say anything that I wouldn't expect a conservative catholic man to believe anyway.
I'm not thrilled that there are people who think this way, but I'm not surprised that people like him exist either.
I have found it funny that some of his teammates have come out and said, "I don't associate with that guy" which is objectively hilarious.
I did roll my eyes a bit when I saw people campaigning for the Chiefs to cut him though.
They didn't cut Rice for endangering a bunch of people's lives and assaulting someone. They're not going to cut a player because he has views that a lot of people don't like.

They shouldn't, but nowdays you never know. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 10:40 AM)Dill Wrote: They shouldn't, but nowdays you never know. 

Not cut, maybe blackball out of the league though. Ninja
Reply/Quote
I don't want him cut because he is a misogynist and said stupid stuff. I want him cut because he suddenly catches a case of the yips causing him to miss multiple field goals for the Chiefs leading to their 2024 losing record.

As the token woman on this board, I thought his speech was offensive to women. I know plenty of conservative Catholic men who follow the faith and don't think like he does. As a Catholic, he is supposed to believe in and follow the tenets of his religion as presented by the Pope. He believes in a church that existed over 60 years ago, before he was even alive. Just like many evangelicals he is rejecting the mainstream of his religion while embracing the extremes. And you have to wonder if he is using religion to justify his own bigotry. He didn't word his viewpoint as if he was offering options. He didn't say that the women should do what is best for themselves and their lives and he was simply reminding them of other options. No, he worded it in a fashion that the big strong alpha male knew better what was best for them than they did themselves. It was paternalistic and condescending rejecting the notion that those college-educated young women could think for themselves.

Women have fought too hard for the rights we now have to turn over our fate to men whose thinking hasn't left 1960

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 09:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trad%20chad

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/chad-meme

Hate speech? Really man?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 01:00 PM)pally Wrote: I don't want him cut because he is a misogynist and said stupid stuff.  I want him cut because he suddenly catches a case of the yips causing him to miss multiple field goals for the Chiefs leading to their 2024 losing record.

I.e. you want him to lose his job because he offended you, but you don't want to appear petty for calling for him to lose his job because he offended you.  

Quote:As the token woman on this board, I thought his speech was offensive to women.  I know plenty of conservative Catholic men who follow the faith and don't think like he does.  As a Catholic, he is supposed to believe in and follow the tenets of his religion as presented by the Pope.  He believes in a church that existed over 60 years ago, before he was even alive. Just like many evangelicals he is rejecting the mainstream of his religion while embracing the extremes.  And you have to wonder if he is using religion to justify his own bigotry.

You're not the "token" woman on this board, you're, for whatever reason, the only woman (that we know of) who posts in here.  Also, the term bigot gets tossed around rather casually.

Quote:He didn't word his viewpoint as if he was offering options.  He didn't say that the women should do what is best for themselves and their lives and he was simply reminding them of other options.  No, he worded it in a fashion that the big strong alpha male knew better what was best for them than they did themselves.  It was paternalistic and condescending rejecting the notion that those college-educated young women could think for themselves.

He didn't say men should do what's best for themselves either.  There's certainly a sweet spot between the 50's style paternal nuclear family and what we've got now where around a quarter of all children are in single parent homes. 

Quote:Women have fought too hard for the rights we now have to turn over our fate to men whose thinking hasn't left 1960

Who's making you turn over your fate to anyone?  A professional athlete gave a commencement address and you're acting like there's a bill before Congress to end woman's suffrage and take away your ability to open a bank account or line of credit.  

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 08:00 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: I am waiting for a commencement speech championing the benefits of men being stay at home dog dads.

Sadly, that will likely get shouted down just as quick by the insecure, hand wringing left...

I did that, granted i was also going back to college to get a new degree. just worked my college hours into the kids school schedule. Wasn't complicatd.

It was economically the best decision for us at that time. 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 04:27 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Aren't you a parent? If so, no idea why have to explain this to you. 

Being a parent is one of the best feelings anyone can have. 

Sure I'm a parent. No idea what you think you need to explain to me about parenting. 

Or why.  Our disagreement is over your claim Butker wasn't "knocking either choice."  

But you seem to agree with me now, since one "choice" is based on "diabolical lies."

That's kind of a knock, isn't it? 

(05-29-2024, 04:27 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Men and women are not created equally, women are anatomically designed to bring life into the world. 

The diabolical lies are that women are told that being a Traditional mother is oppressive 
because they rely on the man to financially support them, and that children get in the way of careers.  There is no shame in being a traditional stay at home mother, but with this entire thread, it seems that Liberal side is certainly shaming them for their choice. 

How does a defense of gender equality = "shaming women for staying at home"? 

It does not. 

My quarrel is with the assumption that men and women are UNEQUAL. Why isn't that "shaming" women??? 

(05-29-2024, 04:27 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Btw, did you know that the number of Married and Educated Traditional moms has been on a sharp rise in the last 20 years?  More and more educated women are Choosing to be traditional stay at home moms for the betterment of their children while their children are young. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4855832/Meet-young-educated-women-proud-housewives.html
https://theconversation.com/mothers-education-has-a-powerful-role-shaping-their-childrens-futures-203539

I'd say "traditional moms" are on the rise in Egypt too. Women there have gone back to the hijab. Globally there is a
backlash against women's rights. Buckner's speech was just one point of darkness among many.

Your second link argues that women's EDUCATION plays an important role in children's success--an education that feminists fought for in previous generations. "Fought for"? My gosh, whom would they be fighting against?  That would be people who thought feminists and "leftists" were spreading "diabolical lies." 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 01:00 PM)pally Wrote: I don't want him cut because he is a misogynist and said stupid stuff.  I want him cut because he suddenly catches a case of the yips causing him to miss multiple field goals for the Chiefs leading to their 2024 losing record.

As the token woman on this board, I thought his speech was offensive to women.  I know plenty of conservative Catholic men who follow the faith and don't think like he does.  As a Catholic, he is supposed to believe in and follow the tenets of his religion as presented by the Pope.  He believes in a church that existed over 60 years ago, before he was even alive. Just like many evangelicals he is rejecting the mainstream of his religion while embracing the extremes.  And you have to wonder if he is using religion to justify his own bigotry.  He didn't word his viewpoint as if he was offering options.  He didn't say that the women should do what is best for themselves and their lives and he was simply reminding them of other options.  No, he worded it in a fashion that the big strong alpha male knew better what was best for them than they did themselves.  It was paternalistic and condescending rejecting the notion that those college-educated young women could think for themselves.

Women have fought too hard for the rights we now have to turn over our fate to men whose thinking hasn't left 1960

Not just men; some women also embrace traditional equality as personal fulfilment. The Feminine Mystique. 

But I share your views on equality. My wife and I raised two children, and she had a sparkling career, from which she retires this year.
I have a daughter who has a career and just bought her own house in Montana.  

What I find interesting among the responses to Butker on this thread is the gaslighting denial that his message affirms traditional
inequality as the best choice for women, complementing an assertive masculinity needed to bring the world back into order. 

As if he were just a guy "sharing" what works for him and his wife, not acting as spokesperson for Traditional Catholicism and its
complementarianism, and not urging young Catholic women to make his wife's choices. 

Good to have a woman in the forum who, from Butker's perspective, doesn't seem to know her place. lol
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 01:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hate speech? Really man?

Not sure what you're talking about.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 01:32 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I did that, granted i was also going back to college to get a new degree. just worked my college hours into the kids school schedule. Wasn't complicatd.

It was economically the best decision for us at that time. 

Yeah, but you did it with kids, so there's a greater point to that.

I wanted to make special raw meals for the dogs, play ball, take them to the park, the selfish fun stuff!
\
That said, I am certain many men out there would be happy being stay at home dads/home-makers.

It's just a choice, and no idea why people get deranged at the idea of some people preferring traditional family roles, especially considering the multitude of risk factors of being raised in a single parent home. But those people are touted as brave and fiercely independent. Statistics say their kids are losing out there and need help, but it's not PC to advocate for that.

Great job of make it work out for the best with your family! 

Need more good dads in homes.
Reply/Quote

As the token woman on this board, I thought his speech was offensive to women.  I know plenty of conservative Catholic men who follow the faith and don't think like he does.  As a Catholic, he is supposed to believe in and follow the tenets of his religion as presented by the Pope.  He believes in a church that existed over 60 years ago, before he was even alive. Just like many evangelicals he is rejecting the mainstream of his religion while embracing the extremes.  And you have to wonder if he is using religion to justify his own bigotry.  He didn't word his viewpoint as if he was offering options.  He didn't say that the women should do what is best for themselves and their lives and he was simply reminding them of other options.  No, he worded it in a fashion that the big strong alpha male knew better what was best for them than they did themselves.  It was paternalistic and condescending rejecting the notion that those college-educated young women could think for themselves.

Luckily we all have women in our lives with opinions as well, so we can observe how fringe/cringe your take is.

Many I know do not try to tell me what other people are thinking, though my significant other professes to being able to read my mine with reasonable accuracy. Why try to be The Amazing  Kreskin and claim to know what others are thinking just so you have something to attack? Unless that is the point?

Women fought too hard to be taken seriously for me to entertain this rant as reasonable.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 02:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Not sure what you're talking about.

Well, I took a moment to read the definitions in those links that you provided. How could coming up with a term to broadly generally stand for a group of like minded people that you don't agree with, and it's a nifty one at that "trad Chad" (It even rhymes!). Sure, it sounds harmless, as it doesn't have any of the words banned by "PC" society in it, but it's not unlike bypassing a language filter in a forum or any other standard of discourse.  I mean I'm sure that this isn't intended as a term of flattery or endearment. For example, I've never showed up to any gathering folks who lead traditional lives and heard the term "trad Chad" thrown around like a common salutation or anything.

Using trendy little language work arounds like "trad Chad" and "Karen" is no different than if someone were to say "We got a group of Yolandas in here making a fuss", in reference to a group of black ladies getting loud. It's hate speech, all the same.  Mellow

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 03:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I took a moment to read the definitions in those links that you provided. How could coming up with a term to broadly generally stand for a group of like minded people that you don't agree with, and it's a nifty one at that "trad Chad" (It even rhymes!). Sure, it sounds harmless, as it doesn't have any of the words banned by "PC" society in it, but it's not unlike bypassing a language filter in a forum or any other standard of discourse.  I mean I'm sure that this isn't intended as a term of flattery or endearment. For example, I've never showed up to any gathering folks who lead traditional lives and heard the term "trad Chad" thrown around like a common salutation or anything.

Using trendy little language work arounds like "trad Chad" and "Karen" is no different than if someone were to say "We got a group of Yolandas in here making a fuss", in reference to a group of black ladies getting loud. It's hate speech, all the same.  Mellow

Oh.  So you decided it was hate speech.

Got it.

Anyway, it's a pretty common name and they use it for themselves so....can we address anything else in my post other than the thing you didn't know about until a little bit ago?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 04:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh.  So you decided it was hate speech.

Got it.

Anyway, it's a pretty common name and they use it for themselves so....can we address anything else in my post other than the thing you didn't know about until a little bit ago?

Blacks use "the N word" for themselves too, so that's good to go too...
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 01:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I.e. you want him to lose his job because he offended you, but you don't want to appear petty for calling for him to lose his job because he offended you.  

You're not the "token" woman on this board, you're, for whatever reason, the only woman (that we know of) who posts in here.  Also, the term bigot gets tossed around rather casually.

He didn't say men should do what's best for themselves either.  There's certainly a sweet spot between the 50's style paternal nuclear family and what we've got now where around a quarter of all children are in single parent homes. 

Who's making you turn over your fate to anyone?  A professional athlete gave a commencement address and you're acting like there's a bill before Congress to end woman's suffrage and take away your ability to open a bank account or line of credit.  

The point is I don't want him to lose his job for what he said. He is entitled to his opinion, just as I have the right to disagree with him.  He should only lose his job for incompetence.  And if his incompetence costs a rival of my favorite team victories I'm all for that. 

And we should wonder, why don't people like Butket ever talk to men about their lives, responsibilities, and what they need to do for "fulfillment"?  I can assure you that single parenthood is not all the woman fault but it seems like far too many men seem to think it is.

We have at least 2 judges on the Supreme Court who think like Butker do.  All Americans should ALWAYS be on guard for any situation that leads to hard-won rights being taken away.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 04:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh.  So you decided it was hate speech.

Got it.

Like I said, I've never heard or read the term used in a flattering manner. It's a term meant to debase a group of people, therefore it's hate speech.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 05:51 PM)pally Wrote: We have at least 2 judges on the Supreme Court who think like Butker do.  

Mind reading again.

An amazing talent...

Got any lotto numbers for us?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 06:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Like I said, I've never heard or read the term used in a flattering manner. It's a term meant to debase a group of people, therefore it's hate speech.

So when they call themselves Chads or use the memes they are hating themselves?

You do you.

Anything to say about the rest of the post I made or are you going to just troll me over a term you didn't know about and yet can claim "never heard or read the term used in a flattering manner"?

So either move on we're done with this,
Reply/Quote