Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Game thoughts
The offensive problems all started on the OL. Zero push, not even cracks to run through and the interior line got dominated all night. Andy had one throw sail for an INT (and the one right on AJs hands that he muffed for an INT) but the biggest issue was not being able to step into throws because there was no pocket. While the entire offense looked lethargic the OL was by far the biggest culprit - and against a decidedly average DL to boot.

Defensively Paulie was back in his vanilla comfort zone. Preseason or not, they should be showing multiple looks, twisting, stunting and everything on D. That is how your defenders gain proficiency. Instead we played so utterly vanilla that there was literally no pressure and Winston (a bad QB) had a clean pocket and enough time to compose his legal defense back there. Notice that the few times we actually did something not vanilla the Bucs offense immediately stalled.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I missed a lot tonight. I had a fantasy draft at 9pm. I missed both Dalton INT's and Hills fumble, among other things.

What I didn't miss (unfortunately) was some of the worst o-line play I've seen in years, as well as the Bucs slicing through our D on the first drive.

I know it sounds cliche, but the Bucs looked fired up and ready to go, while we looked flat, unprepared and unmotivated. In other words, it looked like a typical prime-time or playoff game.

Btw, is it me or has Gio been invisible for awhile? Also, am I the only one who is sick of the ultra-conservative pass offense? Let Dalton and McCarron make some throws that are longer than 5 yards.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:34 AM)Joelist Wrote: While the entire offense looked lethargic the OL was by far the biggest culprit - and against a decidedly average DL to boot.

The Bucs d-line is better than average. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Their d-line is easily the strongest part of that defense
Reply/Quote
Sorry but that DL is not THAT good...our OL played like boys not men. With how big they are just hunker down and drive block.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:45 AM)Joelist Wrote: Sorry but that DL is not THAT good...our OL played like boys not men. With how big they are just hunker down and drive block.

Oh I agree our o-line played like crap. But any defensive line with Gerald McCoy is NOT average. Guy is the best d-tackle in the league. (until Geno gets back to his old form)
Reply/Quote
Just got home from the game. One of my best friends over the past 25 years has a son who played basketball with one of the Bucs CBs when they were kids, so we were sitting right behind the Bucs bench tonight.

It was a bit difficult to see over to the Bengals sideline and I was going to take some pics but there really wasn't a good angle for that from where I was sitting.

Now to the game. Here's what I saw and not in any particular order, just as they come to mind.

1. The Bengals lacked energy, except for a few players. Some players jogged off the field at half time and some walked somberly and more slowly than my dead grandma. The same was true at the end of the game.

The players who jogged off after the game was over were Bodine and Eifert together, AJ Hawk, AJ Green and Aktins. There were a couple of others who I forget cause I didn't know them by their numbers.

Hue Jackson walked off with his head down all the way out and he didn't look happy at all. His master plan just went up in smoke and his QB looked like a rag doll.

2. Dalton just wasn't a leader out there. I don't know how anyone can say he's taking a leadership role. Again, just like last year, when something goes wrong (tonight it was the pass off AJs fingers that became an INT), then he just falls apart and starts acting out of desperation.

One yard of separation is open in the NFL, but when Dalton doesn't keep the ball down the receivers needs to have a lot more separation than a mere yard. That second pick reminded me of the San Diego playoff game two years ago.

3. Alternating Hill and Bernard by offensive series just isn't going to work. I didn't like this last year and now, seeing it in person, I like it even less. Hill is one of those guys who needs carries to get into a rhythm and alternating on offensive series with Gio doesn't allow this to take place. Hill with 20 carries is greater than Hill+Gio for 25 carries. Gio should come in once Hill wears down the defense some. Just how I see it.

4. WTF is going on with the OL? It wasn't all on Bodine. It was all across, up the middle and on the outside. Did anyone look good on the OL?

5. Lewis-Harris got burned several times. Don't think he makes the team.

6. Hunt did his usual preseason superman act against the second/third team offensive line where he gets a good push, but I'm afraid I'm not buying. I want to see him do something against a #1 OL.

7. I'm a fan of James Wilder Jr. He looked good out there and I saw him on some special teams plays, which is important for him. Since I see us carrying Hill, Gio and Burkhead, plus one. I'm now routing for Wilder. He's an up the field runner who'd rather run over you than juke you. Ideal backup to Hill's role.

8. The fumble by Hill was very disappointing.

9. The offensive huddle was sharper with McCarron in the game. It was obvious being there. Clear as day. No long "down the field" passes from McCarron, but he was accurate and on time with most of this throws. The team seemed to respond to him. Out played Dalton regardless of competition on the field. Dalton was out of sync, high and off target on most of his throws. Granted, Dalton was under pressure a lot, but where were audibles and passes to an outlet receiver?

10. Dalton reminds me more of Cutler than he does Joe Flacco. Sorry Dalton enthusiasts, but Dalton is developing that Cutler Bitter-bear face when things don't go his way.

11. Winston was the best QB on the field tonight, hands down. Dalton was the worst, hands down.

12. Our run defense was on vacation early. That surprised me.

13. Where the hell is the press coverage in the secondary? I really thought our secondary would have two picks tonight, but it was Winston who played better.

14. I did see the play calling change once McCarron came in. The offense moved the ball. Granted the Bucs started playing off, but McCarron did what one is suppose to do in those situations, complete passes and move the ball down the field and get the team in the end zone. So I would say that McCarron delivered in the situation he was put in.

15. Tate started as the returner and I was unhappy with that. Expected to see someone else, anyone else. That was a let down. Tells me that he's Lewis' guy.

In the end, I found out that I was correct in not buying any hype coming out of training camp. Dalton hasn't learned to deal with unexpected bad events and still goes into desperation mode. McCarron did actually do something and played smart ball. Can't fault him for that. He dealt with pressure up the middle better than Dalton did.

Even though the Bengals played poorly in the first half, it was fun to go to the game.

Reply/Quote
Bad outing by both sides of the ball in my opinion.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 12:44 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Why does this offensive line give up so much ground season in and out for years?  The ball gets snapped and they play weak passive blocking,

If the QB takes a 7 step drop and the O-line is backing up so many steps...  it really doesn't give much room for the QB to read and produce.

Now I know some will stick to the QB sack numbers being low in stats.  That's fine if you want ignore what you are seeing in real time.

The play of this O-line was just god awful tonight.  Yes it was a preseason game but damn they were a sad bunch.

Whit or Dalton "the new leader" should be getting up in these guys faces and letting them know they won't stand for this bullshit...  preseason or not.

Is there really any leadership on the offensive side of the ball?   It really seems non-existent from coaching to the actual players on the field.

......it has been this way for 20 years.  It is Alexander and his techniques.  I am sick and tired of hearing people say how great this line is.  IT ISN'T good.  You see the exact same performances from the line during the post season.  Tonight is a prime example and if anyone wants to defend Alexander then you are clueless.  If you want to make the argument the line had backups, than you make my case even more.  Paul is a horrible coach.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 12:54 AM)UDWhoDey Wrote: Agree.  Oline looked pathetic, glad we drafted 2 OTs.  But is it me or does Andy get happy feet even before he feels the rush?  Marino was slow as a turtle, but he knew how to evade and throw the freaking ball faster.  Are our WRs that bad at getting separation?  Goes back to 1 WR perfect timing throws.  If that WR is covered, then what?

There was no where to run.......what was Dalton suppose to do?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:36 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I missed a lot tonight. I had a fantasy draft at 9pm. I missed both Dalton INT's and Hills fumble, among other things.

What I didn't miss (unfortunately) was some of the worst o-line play I've seen in years, as well as the Bucs slicing through our D on the first drive.

I know it sounds cliche, but the Bucs looked fired up and ready to go, while we looked flat, unprepared and unmotivated. In other words, it looked like a typical prime-time or playoff game.

Btw, is it me or has Gio been invisible for awhile? Also, am I the only one who is sick of the ultra-conservative pass offense? Let Dalton and McCarron make some throws that are longer than 5 yards.

Honestly.....when McCarron did throw it downfield.....it was off target and floating.  It left me rather concerned about that bum shoulder.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Turns out Eifert being uncoverable in practice was more an indictment of our linebackers and safeties than it was a testament to Eifert's ability.
Reply/Quote
Well, let's just say I'm glad they got that three hours of crapola out of their system.... Hopefully it was an eye opener for them...
Reply/Quote
The O-line as a whole was bad (except Whitworth of course). The one player who stood out, in a bad way, from that unit was Zeitler. He got man handled a couple of times and generally looked quite a way a way from being ready for the regular season. Also, Winston is pretty bad.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 12:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Jeremy Hill’s ball security could be an issue

Eifert worries me; Kroft does not

Little makes the team

Hunt showed something

PJ Dawson will be a starter soon

Peko is done

Shaw is a gamer

What are yours?

Marvin's pre-game speech--"Okay, men, we're ill prepared and uninspired.  Let's go out there and do everything wrong."
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
One thing I came away with that resonates more than anything.

Peko, Hunt, and Still all need to be cut.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:13 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: One thing I came away with that resonates more than anything.

Peko needs to be cut.

Oh, no.  Hadn't you heard?  He's the best 4-3 NT in the league.  He does all those things you can't see.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Hill has ball security issues
Big Z had a rough outing
The Offense as a whole is severely overrated.
The Defensive line still can't pressure anyone outside of Dunlap.
They were ready to slam Green. Had the video's ready and queued up. Folks are on to him. No longer do we have a top 10 receiver.
Snaps were crisp. Maybe Fred was right, and Bodine won't have any issues come the regular season
Primetime curse lives.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 12:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Jeremy Hill’s ball security could be an issue

Eifert worries me; Kroft does not

Little makes the team

Hunt showed something

PJ Dawson will be a starter soon

Peko is done

Shaw is a gamer

What are yours?

I thought that Dawson, DiManche and Roach worked pretty well together.  Lets start these guys in the next game and let the 1st string finish in the 4th quarter.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 02:36 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I missed a lot tonight. I had a fantasy draft at 9pm. I missed both Dalton INT's and Hills fumble, among other things.

Nail meet Hammer !

Jaws ripped into them, so did Jackson and others and they're spot on. Preseason or not the Bengals came out from the very beginning uninspired, uncaring, flat, with no heart and zero desire. It's unacceptable - period !

Look it's the preseason and the final score means little to nothing. It's not the score, the fumbles, the interceptions, the yards gained or lost that matter as much as the fact that this team didn't care - AT ALL

From the very first snap the entire defense besides Geno was just going through the motions, totally uninspired ! Same for the O-line save Whit, just going through the motions !

There's no excuse for a team with so much talent to give such an uninspired, awful looking, no heart or desire performance like that preseason or not. Unbelievable and unacceptable.

And still the one constant - Marvin Lewis
Reply/Quote
I had to stop watching the game last night. It was just to awful to watch. Like many have stated, not to many good things to talk about minus nobody got hurt (that I heard of). Lets stay with the glass half full and state it was preseason and nobody got hurt.

On to next week, guys.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9OCBj4mjooJXjp0JkcL0...AhW_77a11A]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote