Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals cutting Iloka
I'm not really shocked. Iloka's play had fallen off and basically he and Williams were the same safety with regards to type. Bates is not. He is much more a center fielder which we have lacked since Reggie.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The market for safeties this year was at an all-time low so let's not assume they cut Iloka without seeing what they could get for him. If Tre Boston, a player that is equal to Iloka in talent, had to take below $3 million to play this year, teams weren't going to trade for Iloka who was due to make $8 million this year. Williams, despite being similar to Iloka, is also a better fit next to Bates due to him being able to play in the box. Unless something happened behind the scenes that we're not aware of, I think that's what it came down to.

I don't think this has anything to do with extending Geno and Carlos, they already had enough cap to do that. Bengals are either going to pocket Iloka's money or dare I say, go out on the market for a right tackle.

I will miss Iloka, he was very solid for a few years but I'm excited that they're giving the keys to Bates. Let's hope he lives up to the hype.
Reply/Quote
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/george-iloka-9988/

It says here under transactions that we cleared over 5 mil in cap space by releasing him.
Reply/Quote
I wish him the best, he will get a job.

I am very surprised and have to wonder if we are going after Thomas in a trade or other available safeties in the market.

I am interested to see hw this plays out.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: What does this move have to do with Tobin?

His job is to identify players to bring in, not who stays and who gets cut.

He's the defacto GM that's exactly his job
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I have to say his level of play did diminish after he signed his big contract. So I can see cutting their losses. He was supposed to be an asset in coverage as he had CB experience, but it didn't seem to work out that way.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:20 PM)Millhouse Wrote: It makes no sense when there is Dunlap, Lawson, Willis, and the rook Hubbard.

Apples to oranges comparison. DLINES have rotations
Safeties do not most of time, also George played just strong, bates seems to be both, MJ played both tackle and end last year and was effective. George had a bad year last year and looked slow in Dallas. Finally rookies tend to wear down in 16 game season, saw it last year with Lawson and Willis, keeping MJ makes sense but he could be a cut also but not till 4th pre season game especially cap space.
Reply/Quote
Checked on this thread fulling expecting satire or clickbait.... Wow... Stunned.

This is very out of nowhere... Something had to have been going on behind the scenes.
Reply/Quote
Maybe they’re liking what they’re seeing out of Bates and are just ready to turn the page. People always criticize Marvin for being too loyal and not playing young guys, but maybe he’s making a smart move.

Maybe they also need money for Dunlap and Atkins or they’re freeing up money for the right side of the line.

Most of that has been said, but I’m just saying we’re always criticizing for accepting mediocrity and being too loyal, but people jump on this move when it could be smart talent-wise and also in terms of what our plans are.

Hold off, people.
Reply/Quote
I looked at last years salaries (Iloka no longer on this year's list after being released) and George Iloka is 7th highest player in CAP HIT. So, I feel this makes sense. Also, MJ is up there as well on CAP HIT so releasing him may also make sense.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/2017
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:57 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He's the defacto GM that's exactly his job

MB and Marvin share the defacto GM position.

Tobin is the Director of Player Personnel, i.e. the head of scouting.  He has nothing to do with who is released.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:57 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: I have to say his level of play did diminish after he signed his big contract.  So I can see cutting their losses.e   He was supposed to be an asset in coverage as he had CB experience, but it didn't seem to work out that way.

Totaaly agree, defense is going to more speed also, I love George class act, if MJ is cut will say same about him class act also
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:19 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I'm curious to know how this can be spun to be a positive move right now.

Here’s the positive: If a team can release George Iloka then that team must be deep as the Marianas Trench at safety.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:52 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: The market for safeties this year was at an all-time low so let's not assume they cut Iloka without seeing what they could get for him. If Tre Boston, a player that is equal to Iloka in talent, had to take below $3 million to play this year, teams weren't going to trade for Iloka who was due to make $8 million this year. Williams, despite being similar to Iloka, is also a better fit next to Bates due to him being able to play in the box. Unless something happened behind the scenes that we're not aware of, I think that's what it came down to.

I don't think this has anything to do with extending Geno and Carlos, they already had enough cap to do that. Bengals are either going to pocket Iloka's money or dare I say, go out on the market for a right tackle.

I will miss Iloka, he was very solid for a few years but I'm excited that they're giving the keys to Bates. Let's hope he lives up to the hype.

Nice post man, you need to post more. Could be right about Geno and Carlos, just thought we could get it all
done before the season, a new RT and these guys extended and MJ cut sure would be very nice.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: MB and Marvin share the defacto GM position.

Tobin is the Director of Player Personnel, i.e. the head of scouting.  He has nothing to do with who is released.

Don’t think this is right at all
Reply/Quote
So what happens if one of their safeties are injured in next 2 weeks? No reason to do this at this juncture of preseason. There is something more to this story that will probably come out over the next few days. Personally, I'd rather seen Shawn Williams cut if they had to get rid of a safety (but MJ should've been the guy gone if it solely for salary cap purposes).
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I wish him the best, he will get a job.

I am very surprised and have to wonder if we are going after Thomas in a trade or other available safeties in the market.

I am interested to see hw this plays out.

Possibly in Oakland next to Nelson under his former DC?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:00 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Checked on this thread fulling expecting satire or clickbait.... Wow... Stunned.

This is very out of nowhere... Something had to have been going on behind the scenes.

I think a few of you are missing it, not behind the scenes, change in approach, last two drafts show a shift to speed and replacing players that lack it in areas they feel comfortable with.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:05 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Possibly in Oakland next to Nelson under his former DC?

Sounds like a great fit.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post man, you need to post more. Could be right about Geno and Carlos, just thought we could get it all
done before the season, a new RT and these guys extended and MJ cut sure would be very nice.

Agree, we need a RT much more than a veteran safety
Reply/Quote