Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White House bans CNN reporter from press conference
(10-09-2018, 11:16 AM)GMDino Wrote: That's cute.  I bet you giggled like a little girl when you typed it!  Hilarious

Someone's projecting.

(10-09-2018, 11:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Who knew Dino was such an advocate for Capital Punishment. 

It is amusing how often he contradicts himself.  That will happen when you're motivated by ideology and not logic.

(10-09-2018, 11:21 AM)Nately120 Wrote: People aren't in prison because they are bad people, they are in prison because they broke the law.  You can have the heart of a murdering rapist who loves gerrymandering, but until you do something illegal you are free as a bird.  Hell, if there is one thing politics has taught me as of late it is that men are generally good at heart despite desiring to do illegal things to women.  Alas, the good-hearted male can find himself in chains!

Seriously, your first sentence is mindbottlingly bad.  I can tell you first hand that many criminals, one on one, are not unpleasant people.  The fact that they are capable of robbing, stealing, raping and murdering at other times rather erases all of that.  Your actions are what define you, I thought that was a rather well established principle.

(10-09-2018, 11:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Actions, not thoughts, are what makes one a bad person. 

Fascinating, I'd never before heard the phrase, "actions speak louder than words".
(10-09-2018, 11:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Seriously, your first sentence is mindbottlingly bad.  I can tell you first hand that many criminals, one on one, are not unpleasant people.  The fact that they are capable of robbing, stealing, raping and murdering at other times rather erases all of that.  Your actions are what define you, I thought that was a rather well established principle.

Fascinating, I'd never before heard the phrase, "actions speak louder than words".

Unless you're the POTUS from your party. Or a guy who wants to be on the SC. Right SSF? Hilarious
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-09-2018, 10:09 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'd argue you can learn the law and how to apply it but you can't learn to be a better person.

One can be an expert in law and be a vindictive/partisan dbag that uses their knowledge to attack those he sees as "the enemy" on the "other side".

Well before you learn, you aren't  qualified.  She hasn't learned so she's not qualified.  If she starts now, then in maybe 20 years she could be as qualified.  

I think I'm probably a better person than a lot of DRs, but I don't think you are going to pick me to do surgery.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-09-2018, 11:35 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well before you learn, you aren't  qualified.  She hasn't learned so she's not qualified.  If she starts now, then in maybe 20 years she could be as qualified.  

I think I'm probably a better person than a lot of DRs, but I don't think you are going to pick me to do surgery.

I didn't say she could be named tomorrow.

I said being a good person is a better quality and should make you more qualified.
(10-09-2018, 11:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Seriously, your first sentence is mindbottlingly bad.  I can tell you first hand that many criminals, one on one, are not unpleasant people.  The fact that they are capable of robbing, stealing, raping and murdering at other times rather erases all of that.  Your actions are what define you, I thought that was a rather well established principle.

Not every bad action puts you in jail and not every jail-able offense is a bad action, in the grand scheme of things.  
(10-09-2018, 11:36 AM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't say she could be named tomorrow.

I said being a good person is a better quality and should make you more qualified.
Quote:Good for her. She more qualified to sit on the SC than Kavanaugh then.

I mean that's how it reads, but if you didn't mean it that way, that's cool.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-09-2018, 11:32 AM)GMDino Wrote: Unless you're the POTUS from your party.  Or a guy who wants to be on the SC. Right SSF?   Hilarious

Exactly what "party" is that?  Also, what actions are you referring to in your second sentence?

(10-09-2018, 11:37 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Not every bad action puts you in jail

To be sure.  A person can be a colossal asshole and not break any laws.  

Quote: and not every jail-able offense is a bad action, in the grand scheme of things.  

I'd be interested in your opinion on what crime, that would actually land you in prison, is not a bad action.
(10-09-2018, 11:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I mean that's how it reads, but if you didn't mean it that way, that's cool.

I mean he's a fratboy ass.  

Edit: I can see the confusion from the initial post. My intent was to convey that being a good person makes you a better choice. Obviously I'd expect someone to have a working knowledge of the law and constitution...but we have already established that there are no real requirements for the position.
(10-09-2018, 11:41 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Exactly what "party" is that?  Also, what actions are you referring to in your second sentence?

The party...you know.

And you know what actions and the fact that you pretend you are working by asking me to explain is freaking hilarious.   Smirk
(10-09-2018, 11:41 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: To be sure.  A person can be a colossal asshole and not break any laws.  

I'd say the most colossal of assholes are very aware of how they can be as big an asshole as possible and still be on the right side and/or above the law.  Part of growing up is realizing that life isn't fair, and the idea that 100% of the people in prison are worse than 100% people who aren't is one of those childhood fantasy things.

Then again, maybe bad guys really do run around in masks and striped shirts whilst carrying bags with dollar signs on them.

(10-09-2018, 11:41 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd be interested in your opinion on what crime, that would actually land you in prison, is not a bad action.

I'm a libertarian, so take a wild guess.
(10-09-2018, 11:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: The party...you know.

No, I don't know.  You said it so you obviously do, so please let us know.

Quote:And you know what actions and the fact that you pretend you are working by asking me to explain is freaking hilarious.   Smirk

No, I don't.  Again, you made the claim, back it up.  What actions are you referring to?
(10-09-2018, 11:46 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd say the most colossal of assholes are very aware of how they can be as big an asshole as possible and still be on the right side and/or above the law.  Part of growing up is realizing that life isn't fair, and the idea that 100% of the people in prison are worse than 100% people who aren't is one of those childhood fantasy things.

I don't think that at all.  One of the sleaziest industries on the planet are those cash advance/check cashing businesses.  I loathe a business model based on squeezing every dime you can out of the poor.

Quote:I'm a libertarian, so take a wild guess.

If you're talking about simple drug possession, in many (most?) states you aren't going to prison for just that.  Especially not on a first offense.  If you're talking about trafficking or selling, then I'd have to disagree with you.  Both those activities are heavily enabled by a host of violent crime and other criminal offenses.
(10-09-2018, 11:57 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If you're talking about simple drug possession, in many (most?) states you aren't going to prison for just that.  Especially not on a first offense.  If you're talking about trafficking or selling, then I'd have to disagree with you.  Both those activities are heavily enabled by a host of violent crime and other criminal offenses.

I don't disagree, but easing up on drug crimes in any sense has been a slow and relatively new process.  Selling does have a violent aspect to it, which could be greatly alleviated by decriminalizing the stuff in the first place. I'm just not sure I'm 100% on board with the notion that one might have an easier time in court if you shot and killed an unarmed man because "reasons" than if you grew a bunch of weed in your backyard. That's sort of the oddness of our legal system, as I see it.

What's this topic about anyways?  I've steered things off track.
(10-09-2018, 11:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Actions, not thoughts, are what makes one a bad person. 

Isn't there something in the Bible about thinking of doing the sin being as bad as doing the sin?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-09-2018, 12:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Isn't there something in the Bible about thinking of doing the sin being as bad as doing the sin?

Wow, I sure hope not.
(10-09-2018, 11:53 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No, I don't know.  You said it so you obviously do, so please let us know.

No, I don't.  Again, you made the claim, back it up.  What actions are you referring to?

Do your own investigation Sgt. Friday.

You know what actions the POTUS has done.  Rock On
(10-09-2018, 12:04 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Really no digging up required. I saw the name, remembered a thread, typed it in the search function, and added the content. Unsure how that constitutes "defending Trump at any cost".

Even though you admit that you believe her when she says she would not use that language again you try to use the threat of her calling Trump a gay slur to justify him banning her.

Clearly an act of desperation.
(10-09-2018, 12:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Isn't there something in the Bible about thinking of doing the sin being as bad as doing the sin?

There sure is.

Do you disagree with the assertion that it is deeds not thoughts that makes one a bad person or were you just quizzing my knowledge of the bible?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-09-2018, 01:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even though you admit that you believe her when she says she would not use that language again you try to use the threat of her calling Trump a gay slur to justify him banning her.

Clearly an act of desperation.

My desperation aside. I clearly stated in post #8 of this thread my opinions on him banning her; I cannot speak to Trump's motivation. I just introduced a recent news story germane to the topic of the OP. But how liberal of you to attack me instead of the words the lady said. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-09-2018, 01:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There sure is.

Do you disagree with the assertion that it is deeds not thoughts that makes one a bad person or were you just quizzing my knowledge of the bible?

If we're talking "bible bad" then it is all the same.

But then bible "says" being gay makes one a bad person so I take that with a grain of salt.