Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DJ Reader a Bengal
(03-17-2020, 08:01 PM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: We could've spent the basically the same amount of money on Schobert and Glasnow and everyone would be 20x more excited. Waynes is a waste of money. We basically just paid DK that contract. Both of these moves are just massive overreactions for failing to close the deal on players with more overall impact at positions of desperate need.  

But hey, at least we spent money?

The team had positions of interest and spent big on them. What one fan feels is a desperate need, another fan doesn't.

Personally, I'm elated. I've wanted to beef up the line for a while and we've done that. We needed more at corner and we've got that.

Some people are never going to be happy.

'the Bengals are too cheap to get anybody good!'

'hey the Bengals signed two top free agents.'

'yeah but the Bengals are too cheap to get anybody I want!'
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hot damn! That's a legitimately big signing. Keep it rolling, lets get crazy!

Reply/Quote
Gotta wonder if they see Dalton's salary off the books at this point, freeing up some cash
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:27 PM)Benton Wrote: The team had positions of interest and spent big on them. What one fan feels is a desperate need, another fan doesn't.

Personally, I'm elated. I've wanted to beef up the line for a while and we've done that. We needed more at corner and we've got that.

Some people are never going to be happy.

'the Bengals are too cheap to get anybody good!'

'hey the Bengals signed two top free agents.'

'yeah but the Bengals are too cheap to get anybody I want!'

And “it’s my job to belittle or downplay those that has a different opinion” because it doesn’t match mine.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:25 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What? Sure it does.  Prevents running up the gut on us. Pratt and Vigil are good on the outside at stopping the run.
So the run D will be much improved. FA is not over yet, nor is the draft. I'm happy all those LB needy teams are signing LB's asap. Means they will have other Round 1 needs, which improves the chances of Murray sliding and maybe, just maybe we decide to trade up into the mid 20's to get him. You have to wait for the whole FA/Draft time to end before you can find out how much we are going to improve.

Did you even watch Bengals football in 2019? Lol

Plus it still doesn't address the need to cover TEs when the division winner used TEs as 2 of their top 3 receivers (and 3 of their top 5).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Did you even watch Bengals football in 2019? Lol

Plus it still doesn't address the need to cover TEs when the division winner used TEs as 2 of their top 3 receivers (and 3 of their top 5).

Im thinking we draft a linebacker or safety in round two, otherwise an edge player. By 2021 i could see us having a legit defense if we invest in these three areas, as well as draft another corner for depth.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:40 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Im thinking we draft a linebacker or safety in round two, otherwise an edge player. By 2021 i could see us having a legit defense if we invest in these three areas, as well as draft another corner for depth.

The best LB the Bengals have drafted in the last decade is Nick Vigil. Seriously. It's not from lack of trying, either.

For whatever reason, they have absolutely no ability to draft a good LB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:33 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: And “it’s my job to belittle or downplay those that has a different opinion”  because it doesn’t match mine.

Sure.

I just don't get it. Every year it's the same complaint of how the Bengals never spend money. Now the Bengals are coming out as one of the biggest spenders and people are still complaining.

Sheesh.
Reply/Quote
Our DL should be nasty. Great pickup.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The best LB the Bengals have drafted in the last decade is Nick Vigil. Seriously. It's not from lack of trying, either.

Marvin Lewis.

He's gone now.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The best LB the Bengals have drafted in the last decade is Nick Vigil. Seriously. It's not from lack of trying, either.

I think they got a good one in Pratt.  He improved a lot as the year went on and he played more.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Marvin loved big downhill thumper type LBs. The game evolved and you needed athletic LBs. Marvin didn't evolve. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:43 PM)McC Wrote: I think they got a good one in Pratt.  He improved a lot as the year went on and he played more.  

Pratt finished on the year second in run stop percentage with 11%. He had some struggles in coverage but they were more rookie mistakes than inability to cover. I can see Pratt taking a big leap running with the 1s all offseason in year 2.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Sweet ! gives us a little more room to go offense in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:01 PM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: We could've spent the basically the same amount of money on Schobert and Glasnow and everyone would be 20x more excited. Waynes is a waste of money. We basically just paid DK that contract. Both of these moves are just massive overreactions for failing to close the deal on players with more overall impact at positions of desperate need.  

But hey, at least we spent money?

Well, it's not like they can just snap their fingers and make those guys Bengals. There are a lot of things that go into it. 

For 50m plus, I would rather have Reader every day of the week over Schobert. I think it's a much smarter investment. The guy is a stud and will make an immediate impact that will also help out the LBing corps. 

I would've liked to seen an OL added, and maybe they will still land someone, but this isn't Madden. You can't just add a guy simply because you want him. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:42 PM)Benton Wrote: Sure.

I just don't get it. Every year it's the same complaint of how the Bengals never spend money. Now the Bengals are coming out as one of the biggest spenders and people are still complaining.

Sheesh.

Understandable. I think what some are questioning are why at this position when it wasn't one of desperate need and/or if this was the best use of that money, not that they spent the money.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I love this signing! We definitely need help on the DL. Geno is getting old. He needs more rest, and also better players beside him in certain schemes. DJ Reader is an elite DL who should help tremendously with our run defense and more. I was on Billings bandwagon, but the fact is, Reader is way better and our DL just got a lot better and younger.

So far I'd say Lou is looking to focus on stopping the run. Both Waynes and Reader should help that, not too mention help improve our terrible 3rd down defense.
Reply/Quote
Hmm. This was a good day.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:55 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Understandable. I think what some are questioning are why at this position when it wasn't one of desperate need and/or if this was the best use of that money, not that they spent the money.

If Reader is half as good at eating up run blocking as he was in Houston, our LB's will look worlds better just from his presence alone. This dude's like Gilbert Brown back in the 90's and early 00's, just swallows up run blockers like a black hole and stuffs running lanes.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 09:04 PM)Ravage Wrote: If Reader is half as good at eating up run blocking as he was in Houston, our LB's will look worlds better just from his presence alone. This dude's like Gilbert Brown back in the 90's and early 00's, just swallows up run blockers like a black hole.

I like the sound of that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote