Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(05-21-2019, 10:22 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: He specifically stated Glenn to LG, so imagine they'd probably move Boling to the right side. Idk, this is why I think Boling being cut is a real possibility. 

I am starting to wonder about the future of Boling as well. The only injury I can even remember of late would have been the back issues he suffered very early last season but it did not appear to be anything of significance or anything that lingered yet they say he is working on the rehab field but no mention of any off season procedures or anything like that.

Strange situation right now to say the least.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 10:27 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Both players have been around since 2016. Redmond finally cracked the starting line up but was a penalty just waiting to happen. I think the writing is sort of on the wall with current events...….signing Miller in the off season and the drafting of Jonah Williams and working Glenn at LG.

Redmond has the strength you look for in a RG it just appears that he lacks focus or something along that line as he is consistently penalized for movement. Westerman just has not been able to push anyone out of their spot.

Maybe the new staff has let them know that they are essentially competing to stay on the roster at best. Who knows?

Both also have a new opportunity for a fresh start with our new coaching staff but even everything they do right now is also auditioning for another team.  Stars can get away with skipping workouts...those near the cut line can't.  They look like they are pouting.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 10:18 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Idk, I am starting to think he's closer to being on the chop block than not. Boling is older than Miller, so he has more prime years than Boling tho he isn't better of course. They also have Jordan as a backup, so should an injury happen, him or another G can come in and have Glenn kick out to T.

I don't think it makes a ton of sense, but I can see how it could happen. I wonder if they're trying to get younger on the line? Sure as heck looks like it.

Boling is only one year older than Glenn. And be honest, would you rather Glenn or Boling kick out to T? I'm leaning Boling.
Plus, Glenn would save $7.25 mill on the cap this year and $9.5 mill next year if moved. Boling (far) less than that.
I'd move Glenn before Boling.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 10:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Boling is only one year older than Glenn. And be honest, would you rather Glenn or Boling kick out to T? I'm leaning Boling.
Plus, Glenn would save $7.25 mill on the cap this year and $9.5 mill next year if moved. Boling (far) less than that.
I'd move Glenn before Boling.

I'm leaning Glenn based off experience, pay, arm length and hands. Cordy has 2 1/4 inch longer arms, and bigger hands at 10 1/8 vs Bolings 9 3/4. His dead cap is 2 mil vs Bolings 500k. I'm cutting Glenn after this year tho If I'm the coaches. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
You know one guy that could factor into the shaping of the right side of the line that no one is talking about could be Rod Taylor. Taylor had a pretty good career at Ole Miss as a RT. He is a big man that really moves pretty well. If you remember he tore his ACL on day 1 of training camp last season. Depending where he is at rehab wise he could absolutely be a factor.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 11:59 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Well at least this is not the same ole predictable Marvin Lewis team. I don't think anyone imagined a line of JW, Glenn, Price, Miller, Boling if this ends up being the case. Who would have thunk it. I like the thinking outside the box. Hope it works, or whatever combo they go with.

Yes, it is refreshing and i don't care what route they go with as long as they get the best 5 Lineman on the field and get them gaining chemistry. People keep on mentioning Glenn at RT but he has never played there and there has never been a mention of him playing on the right side of the Line, let alone RT.

I understand that Glenn looks to have the body type to play RT but still, never been mentioned by him or coaches.

(05-21-2019, 09:53 AM)Fullrock Wrote: I really could see them moving Boling out to RT in an effort to get the 5 best blockers on the field. He acquitted himself fairly well in a few games at LT. He certainly would be an upgrade at RT over Hart.

I do not think we'll see Jordan as a starter. A line with two rookies and Price (who is basically still a rookie) would be too much inexperience in my opinion.

Feel the same, Boling would be better then Hart at RT and Jordan will need a year or two to gain that experience before becoming a starter. I really like Jordan's upside at Guard though and he does have the body type to play OT. Long arms and athletic and he has strength being he has had to block DT's so much.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 06:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I agree with this, we have the money to keep both, no need to cut unless they crap totally out, or someone becomes available that we could use the money on. They are going to be a part of the 2019 season, and the position jockeying is good. The team can gel better when each player knows not only his assignment, but the guys next to him as well.

Exactly, it would be stupid to cut Boling or Glenn. Why get rid of your best veterans?

Glenn i know didn't play good last year but he still has been solid in his career when healthy.

Boling is so versatile you HAVE to keep him and he is our best Lineman until Jonah proves he is the man.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Miller was the best Guard available at the time...but I wouldn't say he's good by any stretch. I believe he was a capable run blocker and a below average pass blocker if I recall correctly.

Does anyone know what scheme we'll run?

Miller is more suited for a power scheme and is bad in a zone scheme.

A lot of zone which brings up a bummer that they drafted Price last year instead of Daniels.  I'll admit Cordy at guard is interesting, but I don't see the Brown family paying over 9 million for a guard.  It also shows a horrible judgement on our personnel department again. 

(05-20-2019, 11:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In the eyes of the coaching staff, he might not be as far away from being good, as you might think.  He's still young, aggressive, and has plenty of starts under his belt.  His run blocking is actually pretty good.  If they can somehow get the light to come on for him in pass protection, he just might live to make us all regret laughing at him.

Well, Hart was a 7th round pick and maybe his 4th offensive line coach will get something out of him the first 3 couldn't.  We can hope. 

(05-21-2019, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly, it would be stupid to cut Boling or Glenn. Why get rid of your best veterans?

Glenn i know didn't play good last year but he still has been solid in his career when healthy.

Boling is so versatile you HAVE to keep him and he is our best Lineman until Jonah proves he is the man.

Why cut them?   You follow this team right?   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 03:07 PM)yang Wrote:   I'll admit Cordy at guard is interesting, but I don't see the Brown family paying over 9 million for a guard.

No problem when our LT is on a rookie deal.

They paid Zeitler over $8 million in '16.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 03:07 PM)yang Wrote: Why cut them?   You follow this team right?   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I thought one of Mike Brown's most common mistake was overpaying older guys who are not performing up to their contracts.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 03:07 PM)yang Wrote: Why cut them?   You follow this team right?   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It would be really stupid to cut either Boling or Glenn.

Highly doubt we do this.

We can afford all our Lineman, especially Price and Jonah cause they are on their rookie deals as Fred said.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 04:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It would be really stupid to cut either Boling or Glenn.

Highly doubt we do this.

We can afford all our Lineman, especially Price and Jonah cause they are on their rookie deals as Fred said.

Another thing to consider is that they need more than just a solid starting 5.  They also need 4 quality backups, because injuries can and do happen.  Also, if a young player is having a bad game, you know just getting his ass handed to him, it's nice to have proven veteran depth that can come in and allow the kid to come out and regain his composure.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 05:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Another thing to consider is that they need more than just a solid starting 5.  They also need 4 quality backups, because injuries can and do happen.  Also, if a young player is having a bad game, you know just getting his ass handed to him, it's nice to have proven veteran depth that can come in and allow the kid to come out and regain his composure.

Yes, need the depth too.

Don't know why some are even thinking we might cut Boling or Glenn, these guys are starters and can play multiple spots.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 06:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, need the depth too.

Don't know why some are even thinking we might cut Boling or Glenn, these guys are starters and can play multiple spots.

If I were a coach, I'd be all about saving the health of my dependable veterans.  Guys like Boling and Glenn are far from Pro Bowlers, by any stretch, but they are quality starters with tons of experience.  In both of their cases, they've been nagged by injuries for consecutive years, and need a chance to regain the best physical condition they can, to be able to remain playable in the stretch of the season.  I've got zero problems with the younger guys getting the bulk of the developmental time.  Jonah is a true, green dot rookie, Price's dot still looks green in the morning light, and Hart still has a ton of technique to improve upon.  Those guys NEED the heavy coaching, vets like Boling and Glenn just need enough reps to make sure they know the new system and a few jolts to knock the rust off.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 06:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If I were a coach, I'd be all about saving the health of my dependable veterans.  Guys like Boling and Glenn are far from Pro Bowlers, by any stretch, but they are quality starters with tons of experience.  In both of their cases, they've been nagged by injuries for consecutive years, and need a chance to regain the best physical condition they can, to be able to remain playable in the stretch of the season.  I've got zero problems with the younger guys getting the bulk of the developmental time.  Jonah is a true, green dot rookie, Price's dot still looks green in the morning light, and Hart still has a ton of technique to improve upon.  Those guys NEED the heavy coaching, vets like Boling and Glenn just need enough reps to make sure they know the new system and a few jolts to knock the rust off.

Completely agree, it is nice that Glenn is healthy at this point and able to work next to Jonah though. But we do need to be sparing with these guys as you said they have been dinged up a lot lately. The young guys need the most snaps for sure right now.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 06:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree, it is nice that Glenn is healthy at this point and able to work next to Jonah though. But we do need to be sparing with these guys as you said they have been dinged up a lot lately. The young guys need the most snaps for sure right now.

Honestly, I am starting to get a tad bit worried about Clint Boling situation, going forward.  Once you start having back issues, they never fully go away.  Then, he's also got the shoulder problems that put an early end to him in 2016.  I can't find any quick data on it, but I also seem to remember his ankle giving him trouble, somewhere in 2017.  

While none of those individual injuries have completely stopped him, the accumulative effect, compounded by the fact that he continued to play injured most of the time, those things take a toll and make a man age before his time.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I know it is just OTAs and they say they are experimenting with the OL and putting Williams at LT. What I do not understand is why they would line up Glenn at LG. Boling is our LG and has been for years. IF Williams wins the LT spot then I would think that Glenn would go to RT and Boling back to LG. If that were the case then why would you not have Glenn line up at RT? Were they just looking for Glenn's experience lining him up next to Williams to help him out? I personally would not mind seeing one of the OLs listed below on opening day.

Williams/Boling/Price/Miller/Glenn

Williams/Glenn/Price/Miller/Boling

Glenn/Boling/Price/Miller/Williams

I prefer the first one as I think that Glenn on the right side would be a road grader....the guy is a monster.
Reply/Quote
If my memory serves me, Glenn has played RT in the NFL before. He didn't look good there. 
I've seen good discussion on whether or not a lineman should be able to seamlessly transition to the other side or not. I don't have all of the pertinent information available to explain why, I just have the memory of Glenn not looking good on the right side. 
Reply/Quote
New Coach after first practices is looking at maybe Williams at LT and Glenn at LG. Word is the practices are going fast and furious as New Coach demands execution steps up. AJ Green injured but watching from sideline says he likes what he is seeing and this offense scheme of Taylor is the sky is the limit. Taylor liked what he saw of some D players.

GO BENGALS......NEW DEY
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think Boling is viewed as a Swiss army knife by the coaching staff.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote