Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
Who's your starting 5, who are your backups, who get's shown the door?

Bengals currently have 13 OL on the roster.

Tackles:
Cordy Glenn
Jonah Williams
Bobby Hart
Kent Perkins

Guards:
Clint Boling
Christian Westerman
Michael Jordan
Alex Redmond
John Miller
Rod Taylor

Centers:
Billy Price
Trey Hopkins
Brad Lundblade

My Starting 5:

Cordy Glenn Clint Boling Billy Price John Miller Jonah Williams

That is how I think they will begin the season. Obviously, they'll want to get Williams onto the field, in order to get the best 5 out there. I really can't make any solid predictions on backups/cuts, until I see/read reports from OTAs/training camp/preseason. There's a long way to go before the final depth chart is released, but that's who I predict will be the starting 5 on opening day.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Starters:

Glenn, Boling, Price, Miller, Williams

Backups:

Williams, Westerman, Hopkins, Jordan, Hart

Swingman for the 10th O line spot :

Taylor
Reply/Quote
Agree with both, that that's how it'll shake down.

If we go 9, no Rod Taylor. If we go 10, Rod Taylor makes the team, I feel.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd say that lineup has a pretty good shot. Glenn and Williams will most likely be our starting tackles, which one is where I wouldn't swear.

The middle Oline you've got has a really good chance however I wouldn't totally rule out MJ or Hopkins getting in there. I'd guess Redmond will be cut.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who's your starting 5, who are your backups, who get's shown the door?

Bengals currently have 13 OL on the roster.

Tackles:
Cordy Glenn
Jonah Williams
Bobby Hart
Kent Perkins

Guards:
Clint Boling
Christian Westerman
Michael Jordan
Alex Redmond
John Miller
Rod Taylor

Centers:
Billy Price
Trey Hopkins
Brad Lundblade

My Starting 5:

Cordy Glenn     Clint Boling     Billy Price     John Miller     Jonah Williams

That is how I think they will begin the season.  Obviously, they'll want to get Williams onto the field, in order to get the best 5 out there.  I really can't make any solid predictions on backups/cuts, until I see/read reports from OTAs/training camp/preseason.  There's a long way to go before the final depth chart is released, but that's who I predict will be the starting 5 on opening day.

I think you're probably right, although I would not be shocked to see Michael Jordan start at RG....
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:05 AM)Beaker Wrote: Starters:

Glenn, Boling, Price, Miller, Williams

Backups:

Williams, Westerman, Hopkins, Jordan, Hart

Swingman for the 10th O line spot :

Taylor

I tend to agree with your initial assessment.  So, you're thinking Redmond, Perkins, and Lundblade all fail to make the team?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I tend to agree with your initial assessment.  So, you're thinking Redmond, Perkins, and Lundblade all fail to make the team?

One can always hope that's the case.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I tend to agree with your initial assessment.  So, you're thinking Redmond, Perkins, and Lundblade all fail to make the team?

If they are truly open to all possibilities and having the best 5 on the field then they may have to consider looking at Price to RG and Hopkins at C and that is coming from a huge Buckeyes fan. Not saying Price is a slouch at C just saying Hopkins looked mighty good there and Price as well is an outstanding G.
Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams starts LT, Glenn moves to RT, Boling LG , John Miller RG and Price Center. The rest will be rotational backups

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I wonder if they'll do much in the way of extra offensive lineman sets.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:15 AM)OSUfan Wrote: If they are truly open to all possibilities and having the best 5 on the field then they may have to consider looking at Price to RG and Hopkins at C and that is coming from a huge Buckeyes fan. Not saying Price is a slouch at C just saying Hopkins looked mighty good there and Price as well is an outstanding G.

I agree with this with one caveat....Price was coming off a foot injury. That's the base for an O lineman to anchor himself. So you had the double combo of a rookie learning the new playbook and the league, along with a significant injury for a lineman. Those factors could help explain alot of his first season troubles. Maybe healthy with a years experience he settles in nicely for years to come...we hope.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:22 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I wonder if they'll do much in the way of extra offensive lineman sets.

Seems like Sample will basically be that extra lineman.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Williams may very well end up being the LT for this franchise but I feel relatively safe saying it will not be until the contract of Glenn is done or Glenn gets injured. I feel very safe saying that Williams will be the starting RT in his rookie season. I would have no problem seeing Glenn slide to the other side I just don't see it happening.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:15 AM)OSUfan Wrote: If they are truly open to all possibilities and having the best 5 on the field then they may have to consider looking at Price to RG and Hopkins at C and that is coming from a huge Buckeyes fan. Not saying Price is a slouch at C just saying Hopkins looked mighty good there and Price as well is an outstanding G.
I was thinking the same thing, if Price was an better RG than C why not play him there and let Hopkins or Jordan play C. Most likely Williams will be the RT this season unless Glenn can make.the switch to the right side.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:23 AM)Beaker Wrote: I agree with this with one caveat....Price was coming off a foot injury. That's the base for an O lineman to anchor himself. So you had the double combo of a rookie learning the new playbook and the league, along with a significant injury for a lineman. Those factors could help explain alot of his first season troubles. Maybe healthy with a years experience he settles in nicely for years to come...we hope.

Oh I think Price can be a top shelf C for a very, very long time. I do not look at his rookie season as being a bad one like many people do. I am just saying that Hopkins looked very good when he was in at C and that it possibly could be the best thing for the team to have Price at RG to get the best 5 on the field. I think Price stays at C but I think you have to at least look at it as an option.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:26 AM)804 fan Wrote: I was thinking the same thing, if Price was an better RG than C why not play him there and let Hopkins or Jordan play C. Most likely Williams will be the RT this season unless Glenn can make.the switch to the right side.

Jordan at C? Not only NO but HELL NO! He was a horrible C for OSU and I hope he can regain the form he showed playing guard.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:16 AM)Okeana Wrote: Jonah Williams starts LT, Glenn moves to RT,  Boling LG , John Miller RG and Price Center.  The rest will be rotational backups

I could see that move happening, at some point in time.  However, to begin the year, I think they start Williams on the Right Side.  Personally, I think it smarter to start him on the Right and allow him to build his confidence, before throwing him on that Island to protect Andy's blind side.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:28 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Jordan at C? Not only NO but HELL NO! He was a horrible C for OSU and I hope he can regain the form he showed playing guard.

One of the best things Jordan has going for him is his versatility and youth.  It's true that he struggled much in the first half of the season at Center, but he looked pretty good down the stretch of the season.  He's just 21, and was the first true freshman to start on OSU's OL in 2016, since Orlando Pace.  Being just 21, I fully expect Jordan to eventually weigh in the 330's.  The scouts really like his lower body mobility/flexibility.  I could see him eventually taking over Boling's spot at LG, and being a backup C.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: One of the best things Jordan has going for him is his versatility and youth.  It's true that he struggled much in the first half of the season at Center, but he looked pretty good down the stretch of the season.  He's just 21, and was the first true freshman to start on OSU's OL in 2016, since Orlando Pace.  Being just 21, I fully expect Jordan to eventually weigh in the 330's.  The scouts really like his lower body mobility/flexibility.  I could see him eventually taking over Boling's spot at LG, and being a backup C.  

he was pretty terrible at center

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: One of the best things Jordan has going for him is his versatility and youth.  It's true that he struggled much in the first half of the season at Center, but he looked pretty good down the stretch of the season.  He's just 21, and was the first true freshman to start on OSU's OL in 2016, since Orlando Pace.  Being just 21, I fully expect Jordan to eventually weigh in the 330's.  The scouts really like his lower body mobility/flexibility.  I could see him eventually taking over Boling's spot at LG, and being a backup C.  

Oh I think Jordan absolutely can be an outstanding guard in this league no doubt about it. I think he could be a guard that is in the Alex Boone class. I could also seem him developing into a RT at the NFL level. I just don't think C is his gig and that is no doubt a position that takes a special player.
Reply/Quote