Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermediate step to beginning of life uncovered
(06-16-2015, 07:35 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Let me preface my answer by telling you this; you and I disagree on a philosophical level.  I think we can agree to disagree while still respecting the other's opinion.  I don't feel like you are trying to force me to live my life according to your beliefs and I'm certainly not trying to force you to live your life according to my beliefs.  You seem like a reasonable person.  My comments aren't meant to offend reasonable people like yourself. However, I like messing with the unreasonable people who believe other's life choice should conform to their beliefs.

Agreed.

I do enjoy debating some philosophy though, so...

Quote:So your question presupposes one chooses the correct destination.  God knows your destination.  Because he knows your destination there is only one correct option.  If your known destination is NYC, but you choose LA, you will arrive at NYC.  You just chose the incorrect destination.

God has a plan.

Knowing what you are going to do does not mean He made you do it. If he did, if he coerced you, forced you or manipulated you (maybe He quarantined LA or an earthquake cut off the west coast or something) then, yes, you are correct. You had no choice. There was no free will. He flexed omnipotence and you ended up not where you wanted.

But if He just knows you're going to NYC, that's just Him having advanced knowledge.

If you go to a bar and your wife knows you're going, disapproves of your going and you go anyway, that's your choice. It's not a predetermined destination.

Quote:If you get in your car (that God built) on your path to your chosen destination of LA, but you encounter one obstacle after another making your progress incredibly difficult; God is telling you this isn't your path.  You need to quit and follow a different path.  God's path.  Because God intends for you to travel to NYC.  (You chose incorrectly and God steered you along the correct path.)

If you get in your car (that God built) on your path to your chosen destination of NYC, but you encounter one obstacle after another making your progress incredibly difficult; God is testing you and you need to persevere and follow God's path for you.  Because God intends for you to travel to NYC. (You chose correctly and God steered you along the correct path.)

This is mixing omnipotence and omniscience. If He knows you're going to alter His plan, then yes, He could change that. But that's presupposing that your individual actions alter His plan. In cosmic terms, you choosing to go left or right at a stop sign probably doesn't concern Him very much. It's your free will, go straight.

Quote:If you get in your car (that God built) on your path to your chosen destination of NYC, but you encounter one obstacle after another making your progress incredibly difficult and you crash your car into one of those obstacles and die then someone will tell your widow, "It's all a part of God's plan."  (You chose incorrectly and God steered you along the correct path.)

If you get in your car (that God built) on your path to your chosen destination of NYC, but you encounter one obstacle after another making your progress incredibly difficult and you're about to crash into one of those obstacles and miraculously Jesus takes the wheel and saves you.  (Again God steered you along the correct path.)

So no matter the destination or the path, once you get there you can always look back and say, "God had a plan for me" because hindsight is 20/20.  As far as delusions go, it's brilliant.

Yes, that's why every person has to be accountable for their own actions. Because "God's plan" was to give you free will and see what you would do with it. If you take it to LA or NYC, it probably doesn't make much difference to Him.

(06-16-2015, 09:18 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: You know what is funny about 'faith' and the Christian God?  On the first page of that little sci-fi novel it talks about this creator making stuff and then all of a sudden he needs a nap because he is tired or something from all the creating....

So you're meaning to tell me that this all powerful wizard has the ability to make something from nothing, but he still gets weak and tired?

Christians, why is your 'God' lazy and weak?  I look forward to your brilliant responses that I won't read.

Genesis wasn't meant to be taken literally. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intermediate step to beginning of life uncovered - Benton - 06-16-2015, 10:54 AM