Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Bengal Fans Miss Chad Johnson??
(02-13-2016, 04:20 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Chad brought zero playoff victories to Cincinnati. 

All current players and coaches seem to be held to this standard. Why the pass for Chad ?

Chad Johnson came to a Bengals team that was 4-12, won 68 (6.8 avg per yr) games in 10 years and took the Bengals to 2 playoff appearances and zero playoff wins with what some would say one the all time greatest QB's in history firing ball to him. He went to the playoffs in 20% of the years he played here.

Replaced by rookie WR with rookie QB throwing that came to a 4-12 team as well. Have won 52 (10.4 avg per yr) games in five years, going to the playoffs in all 5 seasons. Have gone to playoffs 100% of the years. 

Loved watching Chad play but question whether he made Bengals a better team. When you showboat hard you must accept the criticism if you do not produce at days end.

Also was given the chance by New England to prove his worth on a SB caliber team and failed to deliver. Tom Brady disagrees with the love of Chad and have to give his opinion more weight. 

From 2002-2010 - when Chad actually played - the Bengals won 62 games total. That translates to an average record of 7-9. Not great, but maybe you missed the 90's (I know you didn't, but you're acting like you did)? We were a heck of a lot worse than 7-9 back then. The big thing here is that he was the arguably the MVP of a pair of division champs. Coming out of the 90's, who would've thought a pair of division titles would be possible? 

Chad was a giant piece (perhaps the biggest piece) of the Bengals teams that led us out of the abyss. Maybe after 5 straight playoff performances, it's easy to shrug off what those 2003-09 teams were able to accomplish. They didn't win as consistently as the current group, but I still appreciate what they were able to accomplish in leading this franchise back to respectability. As AJ Green said about Chad, "they paved the way". 

As for why I don't hold Chad to the "playoff win standard", I don't hold the lack of playoff wins against any players. Not Chad, Carson, Andy, Green, Atkins, Burfict, etc. I've consistently blamed the guy that coached 2 different core groups of talented players to an 0-7 playoff record. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Bengal Fans Miss Chad Johnson?? - Shake n Blake - 02-13-2016, 10:48 PM