Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Justices spar over the constitutionality of the death penalty
(06-30-2015, 10:40 AM)bfine32 Wrote: First of all I take offense to the term perverting a passage; as the bible and God's word is open to interpretation.  Of course Jesus advocated peace; where did I say he advocated killing anyone? He merely issued a warning.

Question: Why did he warn man (actually the man in Matthew was Simon Peter) to "abandon violence"?

Answer: Because if they live by violence they will be judged by violence. It is mentioned again in Revolations.

First, fair enough. I won't use the term. But you are incorrect on your interpretation. Violence doesn't judge anyone. People do. And sometimes they respond with violence. Jesus wasn't saying people should govern with violence, only that they did. Which, as I said earlier in this thread, was at times very unjust punishment, such as the poena cullei.

What he was telling the disciples — who were being prepared to be spiritual leaders of men — was they should govern without violence.

Edit: And what interpretation? Jesus only gave one all encompassing command.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Justices spar over the constitutionality of the death penalty - Benton - 06-30-2015, 11:23 AM