Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Justices spar over the constitutionality of the death penalty
(07-01-2015, 02:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems we read the same book, but come up with diffrent answers. I guess that's why it is a personal relationship.

Doesn't he go on to say we should continue to follow the old law, but if you break them he's got you covered? I didn't get where he said forget about the old laws.

Agreed with the bolded. With the rest, he does and he doesn't. You have to look at all of five.

He says he came to fulfill the prophecy. The prophecy was of a new way coming (part of why the Pharisees weren't his biggest fan). Jesus was telling people not to be fearful of it. Then he goes on to say you will be judged (by God, not man) if you kill, but also if you have hate. That adultery isn't just being with someone, it's already there when you have the thought. To turn the other cheek, to love those who persecute or try to injure you. If someone steals from you, give them what you can because they need it more.

17-20 are used by those who want to bring the OT into things. But that was an intro into him saying, 'you've already been told I was coming to tell you a new way... and here it is.'

I don't mind people who follow the OT, but him coming was about doing away with those beliefs that violence and pain are ok if it's done in the right name.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Justices spar over the constitutionality of the death penalty - Benton - 07-01-2015, 03:20 PM