Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Warming up in the bullpen, number 46...
(02-16-2017, 06:13 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Impeachment is when the House formally charges the President (or other officials) of committing a serious offense. This is done by a floor vote. The only two Presidents to be impeached were Clinton and Johnson. The removal process occurs after a trial held in the Senate concluding with a floor vote. None have been removed. 

It doesn't matter if most people are dumb and do not understand the word. That doesn't make me technically  correct, it makes me correct. That's like saying there's some truth when someone uses the layman's definition of "theory" when talking science. I teach my students to understand the correct definition of terms.

Like I said, technically you are correct. This is not to say you are incorrect. but to say you are correct. Impeachment proceedings began against Nixon in May of 1974. On July 27, 1974, in the minds of many (including even, perhaps, Nixon himself) he was impeached when the House Judiciary Committee recommended on that day the first article of impeachment be passed. Two more articles of impeachment were approved on July 29 and 30. I remember many Americans saying Nixon had been impeached at the time, and since then. Technically they were wrong - there had been no floor vote - but impeachment certainly seemed imminent. This is sort of like a boxer named Spider Ricco being knocked down once, and knocked down twice in a subsequent round and with the referee giving him a standing eight count his corner throwing in the towel. Many who witnessed the fight would say Spider Ricco was knocked out, but technically Ricco's corner threw in the towel. Similarly, many consider Nixon to have been impeached, as proceedings against him were moving toward a vote, but it never occurred, so he was not.

I believe your analogy of the lay person's use of theory vs. the scientist's is also a good one. Kudos to you for teaching your students to speak and think with such precision. By saying you were technically correct I meant you were correct, not incorrect.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Warming up in the bullpen, number 46... - xxlt - 02-16-2017, 08:27 PM