Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver
(03-24-2017, 03:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm not claiming LaFell is the long term answer, but man do people ever overrate Marvin Jones. The guy was a borderline bust in Detroit. He was benched at one point and outplayed by a 53 year old Anquan Boldin. His hands - which have been praised - turned to stone. He struggled mightily once he started drawing #1 CBs.

LaFell offers a little less speed, but makes up for it with savvy. Fwiw, LaFell had 11 catches of 20+ yards and 4 catches of 40+ yards. In 2015, MLJ had 13 catches of 20+ yards and 4 catches of 40+ yards. Nearly identical deep production.

Some pretty harsh opinions here.

1. I wouldn't say "pointless". There's more to it than stats, but production is production. I assume by dynamic, you mean speed. I addressed that with jj22.
2. That's just being silly. Did anyone pay attention to Jones with Detroit last year? It was a total disappointment considering what they paid.
3. Calling LaFell a disappointment is a bit much. For a 3rd round pick he's produced almost 5000 yards and 26 TDs by age 30. He's only missed 8% of his career games compared to 26% for Jones. He was a key player in a championship run while Jones has yet to win a playoff game. He just produced the best season by a Bengals #2 WR since Housh.
4. Can't disagree there. 
5. LaFell will turn 31 this year. A 2 year deal with an easy out is pretty standard considering he's not a star.
6. True, but that makes him no different than any other good-not-quite-elite QB.
7. Agreed.
8. Agreed, but only if all the top options are gone.

Think Jones is good imo but not a #1 by any means. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - Go Cards - 03-25-2017, 12:26 AM