Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver
(03-24-2017, 03:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. I wouldn't say "pointless". There's more to it than stats, but production is production. I assume by dynamic, you mean speed. I addressed that with jj22.
Dynamic as in drawing 7 DPIs for 111 yards
2. That's just being silly. Did anyone pay attention to Jones with Detroit last year? It was a total disappointment considering what they paid.
New system with different play style. Jones fit our system well and had good chemistry with Dalton. That will only grow with Stafford there
3. Calling LaFell a disappointment is a bit much. For a 3rd round pick he's produced almost 5000 yards and 26 TDs by age 30. He's only missed 8% of his career games compared to 26% for Jones. He was a key player in a championship run while Jones has yet to win a playoff game. He just produced the best season by a Bengals #2 WR since Housh.
That's a hard comparison to take with the fact Jones has had the unfortunate life of being on the Bengals, and LaFell had his success with the GOAT
4. Can't disagree there. 
5. LaFell will turn 31 this year. A 2 year deal with an easy out is pretty standard considering he's not a star.
So there's no long term benefit, in which we still have to hope for luck with a second option through the draft if we won't invest a decent resource into it.
I'm not making this an argument of Jones vs LaFell as much as I am making an argument that an invested resource in a young WR is better off now than later. The team should be proactive and search for a replacement when the situation allows for it. Now who knows where the Bengals value some guys in terms of draft grade, but when saying "If the other top options are gone" ignores that, if available (probably not at this point I feel like), a player like Corey Davis is 95% chance the best player on the board for the team, and a necessary addition
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - eoxyod - 03-27-2017, 12:44 AM