Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver
(03-27-2017, 12:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I haven't seen many WR's going in the top 10 of mocks though. Mike Williams is about it, and he's been on the fringe of top 10. 

Charlie Campbell has Corey Davis going 27th, behind Williams and John Ross.
Walter has Davis going 28th, also behind Williams and Ross.
Lance Zierlien (NFL.com) has Davis going 28th, also behind Williams and Ross.

3 other NFL.com writers (Bucky Brooks, Daniel Jeremiah and Chad Reuter) have Davis going 13th, 18th and 5th. I'm just not sure Davis will even be the best WR available at 9th overall, let alone the best player. If WR were by far the BPA, by all means go for it, but from what I've read, this is a deep WR draft.

1.  I would have to know how many DPIs Jones and LaFell have had on a yearly basis. I'm going to guess that such a number wouldn't be consistent either way.
2.  Sounds like excuses, eox. He started hot in Detroit and cooled down (understatement), going for a meager 522 yards in the last 13 games. He lost Stafford's trust with drops and inability to beat press coverage. If he was better in our system, why was he only able to produce 816 yards and 4 TDs in 2015? Or 712 yards and 10 TDs (inflated number) in 2013? The guy put up pretty much the same numbers Jerome Simpson and LaFell managed.
3.  It's still hard to consider LaFell a disappointment, regardless of who he's played for. If he were so terrible, he wouldn't have started and been featured by the Pats. Or Carolina. Or here.
5.  If we go WR in the first 2 rounds, I'm not going to be upset about it. I just don't see WR as a dire need with LaFell and Boyd on board. Could we use more speed? Always. But I think LaFell gets deep about as often as Jones did. Our deep shots seem to always go to Green anyway. Maybe that would change with a Davis or Ross. Maybe not.
I'm gonna summarize the LaFell/Jones thing in saying I don't think LaFell is terrible, and is actually a good #2 receiver. But he is the furthest thing from a long term option, and the draft is about investing in long term resources overall
(03-27-2017, 02:23 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I should have been more specific. I think Davis will eventually be a good pro WR. It may take him a minute since he played against mostly interior competition.

In no way do I think this particular team should add a WR in the #1st. There are other more pressing concerns at this point. 

As I said above, the draft is about long term development. From everything I, and many people I trust in evaluation see in him, he will be an absolutely awesome WR. As in best in the class. I'm down for that and I believe he can provide immediate impact. Going against 'inferior' competition hasn't hurt other players often, and we really don't have significant holes in places that can't be replaced with players on an equal level comparable to later in the draft (in terms of positional value) besides DE, where the best players might be gone
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - eoxyod - 03-28-2017, 02:43 PM