Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver
(03-24-2017, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't go this far, but this is pretty accurate.  

If you evaluate Lafell by his stats alone, you miss the point.  His position at #2 is really only by default.  Gio out of the backfield and Tyler Eifert would likely have been the #2 and #3 options if healthy.  He is really a #4 and with Boyd in the slot that is even arguable.  

However, he is a solid route-runner with very good hands.  He is an excellent blocker as well.  If he was a clown off the field, he wouldn't be here but the team loves him and he is a pro that works to get everyone better in his unit.

The problem becomes, if AJ Green goes down, can the Bengals create opportunities underneath with the aforementioned Eifert, Gio, and Boyd?  The answer is a resounding no.  Cody Core looked 100X better than his debut against Houston and maybe he can play that role to an extent, but I think Davis or Ross would make this offense elite.  
Thats my point. Maybe worst number 2 is a bit far, but still. Gb offense at least looked somewhat functionabke when nelson went down. Ours did not when aj green went down. We couldnt get open against anyone. Lafell could not beat 1 on 1 coverage when aj was in. I have likened our team with williams to the indianapolis colts with peyton manning, reggie wayne, marvin harrisson, dallas clark. We would have a 1a, 1b wr duo better than any other in the nfl. With eifert and boyd working the middle. How many number 2 corners would you trust in 1 on 1 coverage against williams?? Im also a big fan of davis. Not a fan of ross due to 4 leg surgeries in 2 years plus the labrum. I really think the team will go wr at 9 if top de are gone. Lafell also has 0 guarenteed in year 2.
(03-24-2017, 12:49 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: This statement is utterly ridiculous! Your man crush on Williams is only slightly apparent  Yawn. Not trying to make you blush or anything.

Here's a short list of WRs that were drafted in THE FOURTH RD!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Largent, Chris Carter, John Stallworth, Andre Reed, & Charlie Joiner! Oh btw, ALL are HOFamers.

To answer your question; no.
Heres a short list of wrs in the first round. Aj green, julio jones, megatron, obj, fitgerald, wayne all future hof.thats the bengals lroblem we never have an elite offense. What would u give to have the indianapolis colts offense of mid 2000s? Thats what it would be with williams or davis.
(03-24-2017, 01:25 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Like Mike Williams but not his 4.53 40 time.

He has great hands and body and certainly will be available at 9.

If the Bengals want him believe they can trade back and get him though. Not sure he goes in top 15 and some have him ranked near bottom of first round.

Louisville held him to 5 catches for 70 yards and a TD in a shoot out. Solid stats but Louisville had no shut down corners by any means.

Think he benefits from having a great QB who can buy time when necessary.

Not saying he is bad, because he is really good. But worthy of a 9th pick ? Not sold.
4.49-4.53 at 218 pound and 6"4 is really good. Its dez bryant aj green time while being heavier. And he also deatroyed 3 first round corners in his final 2 games.
(03-24-2017, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, Williams speed is concerning to me like Treadwell last year and look how Treadwell played in his rookie year.

Core outplayed Treadwell in less games with less snaps by far. Speed is what we need in our WR corps.

Give me Ross or Davis over Williams for this very reason.

CB's in the NFL can go up for the ball too, it won't be a walk in the park for Mike Williams like it was in college.
You mean cbs like lattimore or humphries or conley? 3 first round corners? Williams ran a 4.49-4.53. At 4.49 thats faster than aj while being heavier.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - Jpoore - 03-24-2017, 08:50 PM