Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dont forget our OLINE still blows
(04-25-2017, 08:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Rather than pile on, I will add this:  If you actually go position by position, the line should be better in every spot except LT.  I realize that is a big exception, but look down the line:

LG:  Boling, played most of last season with a tear in his shoulder.  TJ Johnson backup.
C:  Bodine, actually had his best season and should be better.  TJ Johnson backup.
RG:  Andre Smith, big, strong RG like Bobbie Williams.  No more finesse.  Power.  Westerman backup.
RT:  Jake Fisher.  Played decent once he was given this spot.  Should be much better in year 2 at the position and with an entire camp and preseason preparing for the spot.

LT is the big "what if".  That is why I hope the Bengals are able to slide in Rd 1, draft Ross, and then trade back in to Rd 1 and get Robinson.  They could use the 2nd rounder acquired by sliding in Rd 1 and a 4th round pick to trade back in to Rd 1.  He would compete with Ced at LT.  If Ced somehow beats him at LT, he becomes the heir apparent at RG and probably starts there.  He has the tools to be an All-Pro RG, but I would imagine he would win the job at LT.  And you would have your LT for what amounts to peanuts for five years under contract.  

Draft Elflein after that and you have an offensive line with more power at the LT, C, RT, and RG position than you had at the start of last season.  I don't know about all of you, but I got really sick of watching this team struggle to gain one yard at the goal line or short yardage.

I agree with this in principle.   I'm hoping that Smith makes an excellent guard.  The only lineman I think we could not afford to lose was Whit.   I think we should have front loaded a deal he could except and given him a 3 year deal he could live with.  Would have been worth the money.  I hated losing Zeitler, but I think Andre could be a good enough replacement - though I doubt he is able to cover for the players on either side of him like Zeitler did.

Your point about Boling was valid.   I'm just hoping against hope Og pulls it together and lives up to the vision Alexander had of him when he was drafted.

It will be interesting anyway - at least initially.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dont forget our OLINE still blows - 3wt - 04-25-2017, 04:28 PM