Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Request for Todd Grantham
An interview with Grantham about his defense.

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Bolt/Florida-Gators-Football-Todd-Grantham-breaks-down-his-3-4-system-implementation-at-UF-115080446/

Probably the most important part.

Quote:On its face, Grantham's system won't be a massive change for the Gators. Yes, it's a 3-4 system, but it's a one-gap 3-4 as opposed to perhaps a more traditional two-gap scheme.

What does that mean?

Instead of each of his three down linemen being tasked to read and react to two different gaps and rush the passer, typically it'll only be his nose tackle that has responsibility for two gaps. Grantham will then use a strong-side linebacker or a hybrid linebacker/safety type as a fourth player near the line of scrimmage, depending on the alignment and formation.

Essentially, Florida will be standing up one of its defensive ends, allowing for more speed on the field and a faster, more disruptive style of play.

"I think in today's game, with the kind of players you're using you want to be more one-gap in that you want to be able to attack the blockers," Grantham said. "You want to be able to rush the passer. And by being able to rush the passer that means you're an attacking front. Your front is in attack mode. Because most offenses want to be balanced 50-50 first, second down as far as run-pass. So that means we need to be in a position to play the run as well as rush the passer. So we're more of an attack mode defense up front. We're more one-gap oriented, and from there we're just going to mix and match our fronts to try to give variation to what we're doing."

Quote:"We’re a 3-4 structure but we play four-down and three-down and we’re going to find ways to get our best players on the field," Grantham said. "And we’re going to change every year relevant to the playmakers. Because defense is about winning your one-on-one matchups.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Synric - 02-13-2019, 03:33 PM