Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Request for Todd Grantham
(02-13-2019, 04:24 PM)Okeana Wrote: So when someone tells me this guy is a failure because he was the defensive coordinator on the browns 14 years ago it's almost laughable.  He has arguably one of the best resumes I've ever seen and we are lucky to get a guy of this caliber this late.

No one is saying "he's a failure". Grantham is getting hired (maybe) to be a defensive coordinator in the NFL. So...it's only natural for people to put the most weight on his actual experience in the exact position he's being hired for. Maybe his experiences in college over the last decade have made him better prepared for this role. Maybe the Browns thing was a fluke. That's just speculating though. College success doesn't always translate. 

I don't completely hate the hire. Just kinda meh about it. It beats Teryl Austin, I'll give ya that, for now. Just kinda feels like a discount JDR hire. Less NFL coordinating success. No Head Coaching experience, but he does have much more experience than most of the guys we've hired. I get that we have some big college football fans in here, but again...it doesn't always translate.

(02-13-2019, 04:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: As long as the days of keeping failed assistant coaches for 10 years are over, I am fine with these hires.

We have to accept this is year 1 of 16, not all of these coaches are going to work. How ZT adjusts and how long it takes for him to move on is the key to all this.

Only time will tell.

But we have to start somewhere. And we need a coach who has at least called plays before. Right now we have none. So I think this has to be the choice. I can't imagine a staff where no one has ever called plays on either side of the ball.

100% this. As long as we can move on in a timely manner, I don't mind rolling the dice. 

(02-13-2019, 04:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Colts never had more than 42 sacks any season from '99 to '01, and the big turnaround from '98 to '99 was basically Manning improving massively from his poor rookie season (71.2 rating) to 4th in the league (90.7) his second year.

Not to mention that 56 sacks isn't a lot for 2 years. Like you guys said, maybe that's just for the d-line? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interview Request for Todd Grantham - Shake n Blake - 02-13-2019, 08:24 PM