Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
My Argument For Picking Chase Young First
It seems like every year an edge rusher comes along that is something special (like Young or Bosa)--If not every year, every 2 years. I don't think a QB like Burrow comes out more than once every 5 years.

The last QB that was this much of a sure things was Andrew Luck, and that was more than 5 years ago. Mahomes came out 3 years ago, Luck like 7 years ago? Mahomes wasn't a sure thing prospect to the world at large, though. You can talk about guys like Deshawn Watson or Lamar Jackson (also not viewed as sure things), but I suspect both will have injury issues in time.

When it comes down to it, if you have a top-notch, sure thing QB that can elevate your franchise and put you in the running for the next 15 years, that's more valuable than an elite edge rusher (not just because elite QBs are more rare, but because they have a greater impact on wins and losses). I'd argue top priority is QB, then elite edge rusher, with elite Left Tackle not far behind.

Burrow has the chance to be in the 'elite' QB class in a couple years. Brady and Brees will start declining soon, possibly Rodgers as well due to age. The top 5 list 2-3 years from now could very easily include Burrow.

The thing that separates him from every QB in this class, and a lot of QBs in the league is his pocket presence (an unteachable trait), intelligence, leadership/drive, and accuracy (Tua is the only push on the accuracy front). Only the really intelligent QBs, with great pocket presence, and great accuracy step up against really good defenses in the playoffs. Burrow has all those traits. His awareness and style of play (traditional QB with running ability) will likely mean that he's less injury prone too.

It makes more sense to grab the QB here. If we suck again this year maybe we have a chance at an elite edge rusher next year--But probably not. We should be a lot better this year after adding Burrow, having AJ come back, our rookie LT from last year come back, and adding some pieces at LB and hopefully another guard or two, plus the offensive line learning/growing as a unit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Argument For Picking Chase Young First - Bengalstripes9 - 03-05-2020, 11:51 PM