Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freezer Bowl
The Bengals' home page has the 81 AFC Championship Game up. Totally a different game back then. Ken Anderson was tuff as nails! A fact I had never known, Pete Johnson's name wasn't the name he born with. His real name Willy James Hemitt. He had to change it because he was to big to play in Jr. High and had to change his name so he could play on the high school team.... Loved how they kept making excuses for Fouts unable to throw the ball, but Kenny didn't have problems with it.....
Reply/Quote
I watched that game on a feed from a satellite dish. Back then you could tune in the direct network signal and it would stay with the broadcasters when the network went to commercials. I remember it being a sloppy game with a lot of fumbles, interceptions, and missed fgs. Andersons numbers were very modest. Maybe even less than 150 yards. But he threw a couple of tds and no picks. in the end it was a blowout.

We had also blown them out in the regular season. At that time the Chargers were considered one of the best teams in the league. We had beaten the Bills earlier that year, but it was a very close game and we were at home. It seemed to me that we were not being considered a serious Super Bowl contender until we blew out the Chargers on the road later in the season.
Reply/Quote
I was at that game!.....
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I watched that game on a feed from a satellite dish.  Back then you could tune in the direct network signal and it would stay with the broadcasters when the network went to commercials.  I remember it being a sloppy game with a lot of fumbles, interceptions, and missed fgs.  Andersons numbers were very modest.  Maybe even less than 150 yards.  But he threw a couple of tds and no picks. in the end it was a blowout.

We had also blown them out in the regular season.  At that time the Chargers were considered one of the best teams in the league.  We had beaten the Bills earlier that year, but it was a very close game and we were at home.  It seemed to me that we were not being considered a serious Super Bowl contender until we blew out the Chargers on the road later in the season.

That wind was crazy. Both QBs couldn't throw the ball more that 15 yds, a fact Anderson knew and Fouts found out the hard way. It seemed to me Merlen Olson wasn't giving us much of a chance until towards the end of the game.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 01:21 PM)TheSweetness Wrote: I was at that game!.....

Hats off to you! 
Reply/Quote

Me too. Coldest I’ve ever been. Got the “ice cream headache” just from the wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Do you still have all your fingers and toes?

Not directing this at you in any way but I believe the current number of people who were there sits at right about 600,000.

I was a student at UC at the time.  That morning, I made about a hundred fifty bucks jumping cars in our apartment complex parking lot and on our street.  I wasn't even trying to make any money but every time I jumped someone's car, they handed me cash.

We sat in our apartment wearing several layers of clothes and wrapped in a blanket and were still cold.  Can't even imagine what it was like sitting there in that concrete bowl with the screaming wind.

I heard Fouts say one time that when he stepped out of the hotel that morning he knew he was screwed.  Bengal linemen wore short sleeves.

Fifty four below wind chill.  Humans aren't even supposed to be outside in temps like that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 03:21 PM)McC Wrote: Do you still have all your fingers and toes?

Not directing this at you in any way but I believe the current number of people who were there sits at right about 600,000.

I was a student at UC at the time.  That morning, I made about a hundred fifty bucks jumping cars in our apartment complex parking lot and on our street.  I wasn't even trying to make any money but every time I jumped someone's car, they handed me cash.

We sat in our apartment wrapped wearing several layers of clothes and wrapped in a blanket and were still cold.  Can't even imagine what it was like sitting there in that concrete bowl with the screaming wind.

I heard Fouts say one time that when he stepped out of the hotel that morning he knew he was screwed.  Bengal linemen wore short sleeves.

Fifty four below wind chill.  Humans aren't even supposed to be outside in temps like that.

I was just joking  - being one the 600,000 who were supposedly there. I wasn't even born yet
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 03:47 PM)TheSweetness Wrote: I was just joking  - being one the 600,000 who were supposedly there. I wasn't even born yet

Okay.  Well, good one.  You got me.  Of course, you had the advantage of my being hesitant to call someone I don't know a liar working for you.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 03:21 PM)McC Wrote: I was a student at UC at the time. 

Bengal Super Bowls are bookends for my college experience.

First one was in my freshman year and the last one was in my final year of grad school.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 04:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengal Super Bowls are bookends for my college experience.

First one was in my freshman year and the last one was in my final year of grad school.

Damnit, Fred!  We found the problem!  I expect to hear you have enrolled in the University of Phoenix by your next post.

Some people refer to it as the Harvard of Internet Colleges.....We're Phoenix proud.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 04:53 PM)McC Wrote: Okay.  Well, good one.  You got me.  Of course, you had the advantage of my being hesitant to call someone I don't know a liar working for you.

I believe the latest update to the numbers has it just over 1,000,000 were there.
Reply/Quote
I remember the beer cans I was trying to sneak in bursting from the cold while in my pockets. Smelled like a brewery the whole game.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 03:43 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: I remember the beer cans I was trying to sneak in bursting from the cold while in my pockets. Smelled like a brewery the whole game.

At least it was for a good cause. 
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 03:43 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: I remember the beer cans I was trying to sneak in bursting from the cold while in my pockets. Smelled like a brewery the whole game.

If it's ffty four below, being wet must have really been a blast.

And if the wind chill is fifty four below, the concrete that was everywhere was probably sixty four below.

Reply/Quote
I was SUPPOSED to be there.

But the old man said "Hell no" to the temps and kept us home to watch it on TV. I recall at half time having to go outside to the patio for more firewood - maybe 15 feet from the door - and feeling warm again until late in the third quarter...

Also was supposed to go to the SB in Pontiac, but my mom vetoed it. Seems dad got two tickets through work and mom said both kids go or no one goes. He couldn't find another ticket so he gave up the two he had.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 11:09 PM)McC Wrote: If it's ffty four below, being wet must have really been a blast.

And if the wind chill is fifty four below, the concrete that was everywhere was probably sixty four below.

You got that right. I was too stupid to put layers of socks on and wore tennis shoes. We put newspapers under our feed but that did litttle.

I am ashamed to say I spent half the game in a yellow level bar watching the game on closed circuit. It was the only place with heat and I would say it was still below freezing. Fortunately, copious amounts of alcohol helped.
Reply/Quote
Anderson outplayed Fouts yet Fouts gets to the HOF.
Go figure
Reply/Quote
I would guess if a game is scheduled to play in those conditions today, the commissioner would cancel the game for the safety of the fans. Football has become wimpy and so would the fans.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 03:19 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: You got that right. I was too stupid to put layers of socks on and wore tennis shoes. We put newspapers under our feed but that did litttle.

I am ashamed to say I spent half the game in a yellow level bar watching the game on closed circuit. It was the only place with heat and I would say it was still below freezing. Fortunately, copious amounts of alcohol helped.

My beer was turning to slush at the Jets playoff game years ago... The wind chill was something like 10 degrees that night. I can't even imagine 50 below... I don't like the Bengals that much.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote