Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF OL grades through week 4
A couple of points I wanted to highlight.

Redmond gets beat

This is the second snap for Cincinnati and Redmond receives his "Welcome back" moment. This is a run play to the right and we have a double team on #90. From my guess, one of the two of Hart/Redmond is supposed to come off and get to the next level but the fact that Myles Jack blitzes throws a wrench in things. I can't comment on scheme because I don't know 100% what is supposed to be going on here. Hart stays with #90 which makes me think that Redmond was supposed to peel off but they could also have scenarios for when a linebacker is blitzing that could change things on the fly. It is really hard to say. I can comment on a couple of things. When the ball is snapped, Redmond is beaten to the punch and is actually knocked off balance by the defensive tackle, which is obviously bad whether Jack is blitzing or not. The timing of all of this is just perfect and Jack makes an incredibly athletic play by slithering underneath Redmond and grabbing Mixon in the backfield. You would really like to see Redmond with a better first step and stronger engagement here but this is an incredible play by Jack.

Hart struggles with the bullrush, but Jonah dominates

Same drive, one play later. The thing with Hart is that he is strong in the run game, but that strength disappears in pass pro. He struggles at all levels of pass blocking, but he really struggles with a bullrush in particular. He seems to catch defenders instead of relying on technique, and he allows their hands to get inside and to his center. Here, you're going to see the defender get his hands inside and drive Hart into the backfield, which causes Joe to escape the pocket. On the flip side, Jonah does an absolutely wonderful job of knocking the defenders arm away and preventing that initial contact. This doesn't allow the defender to get any leverage and he loses his balance. Jonah uses his hands really well here, grabs the defenders shoulder pads as he slips and then tosses him to the ground to take him out of the play. 

Hart & Redmond fail on the stunt 

Here, the Jaguars stunt their defensive end down and have a blitzing linebacker go around. A normal procedure is for the linemen to go into their kickstep and react based on what is coming at them. Hart and Redmond are sliding to the right slightly and if Redmond has his head on a swivel here, he could engage #41 and Hart could release to handle #47. This doesn't happen and the end crashes down, past Hart as he already had his outside momentum. I would expect Redmond to be responsible for #41. 

Miscommunication?

Not sure what else to say here. This has to be a miscommunication, #90 is untouched. Maybe Hart was supposed to crash down and block him? I am not entirely sure, but this can't be as designed. 

Nice Pocket

Not much else to say about this one. This is great protection. Watch every lineman and how they do in their assignments. I particularly love Jonah here but everyone does their job very well.

Hold on Hopkins

There is all kinds of action here and the line almost handles it perfectly. The defensive end is stunting around to the center of the field, Myles Jack blitzes inside and the tackle takes the outside. Hart and Redmond come out of their stance and they react. Redmond takes Jack, Hart picks up the DT and Hopkins ALMOST comes back to get the stunting end but he is a little too late. Good play by the defense.

These are all from the first quarter, as that is all I have gone through but I wanted to point these out.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
PFF OL grades through week 4 - ochocincos - 10-05-2020, 04:45 PM
RE: PFF OL grades through week 4 - McC - 10-05-2020, 04:47 PM
RE: PFF OL grades through week 4 - bonesaw - 10-05-2020, 04:54 PM
RE: PFF OL grades through week 4 - Benton - 10-05-2020, 04:55 PM
RE: PFF OL grades through week 4 - Luvnit2 - 10-05-2020, 05:22 PM
RE: PFF OL grades through week 4 - McC - 10-05-2020, 05:35 PM
RE: PFF OL grades through week 4 - bfine32 - 10-05-2020, 05:29 PM
RE: PFF OL grades through week 4 - bfine32 - 10-05-2020, 05:40 PM
RE: PFF OL grades through week 4 - Luvnit2 - 10-06-2020, 12:08 PM
RE: PFF OL grades through week 4 - bfine32 - 10-05-2020, 05:38 PM