Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Chase not Practicing
(08-28-2024, 09:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What's keeping them from offering a longer deal? In case i'm way off, they have the ability to structure it to their liking. Jefferson's cap hits the next 2 years are 8 and 15M. 

Burrow's first 2 year hits are 19 and 29M. They can still keep the next 2 years lower than market value.

They can come with a 5 year extension and say, we're willing to give you this, a nice guarantee and signing bonus with an earlier out option to protect thier ROI, or to simply back load it in the hopes they renegotiate before he reaches ridiculous money.

This is shit they do for a living, i just can't see what the holdup is...unless Ja'Marr and his reps are just being exceptionally difficult and wanting it all. In that case, GTFO here J. I'd love to have him but he's not irreplaceable. 

Honestly we should all know what the hold up is. It's not the 4yr 160mil because in reality even though people struggle to math that works out to 32 mil average with his 2 existing years. It's the guaranteed money. 120 mil is an impossible # to get out of them. It far exceeds the percentage even Burrow got. The Bengals need to fold on this and just get over there dislike of guaranteed money. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 09:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: This isn’t on MB…… Anymore. He said he’d bend over backwards not frontward.

Tee came back and practiced, Bates came back and practiced, Hendrickson participated all offseason. MB can’t buckle now and set a new standard of getting a deal out of him.

All of those lost players participated and played without a contract (and by now). That doesn’t happen without MB rep and he wouldn’t be wise giving that up when there are more players to extend soon. If we have the season we all are hoping for.

But what did that get those players? Unless Trey pulls in a last second contract extension it doesn't look like he's getting one. Perhaps it's the Bengals that have created this situation. They've proven that just quietly doing your job doesn't get anywhere with them.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 09:48 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: But what did that get those players? Unless Trey pulls in a last second contract extension it doesn't look like he's getting one. Perhaps it's the Bengals that have created this situation. They've proven that just quietly doing your job doesn't get anywhere with them.

What antics did Joe Burrow have to pull to become the highest paid player in the NFL? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 09:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Teams like Philly and Miami have figured out how to pay their QB’s and two WR’s. It’s hardly impossible.

Yes and didnt Hurts go right in line with being the highest paid right before Burrow. Not sure what exactly Tua got but I'm sure he's right up there as well. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 09:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Teams like Philly and Miami have figured out how to pay their QB’s and two WR’s. It’s hardly impossible.

Waddle is on a 3 year 84mil extension. Almost half of what Chase is reported demanding. Tuas deal is still 2mil a year less which likely is the difference  between Chase being signed or not. Hills deal will only overlap for 1 year of Hill and Waddle. 
Reply/Quote

Miami is 5-12 against teams that finished with a winning record the last 2 years, they've won 0 playoff games, and currently have -$28.5m in cap space next year with 40 guys under contract.

They're not exactly a complete team, stomp bad teams but can't hang with good ones, and I'm not sure we should be trying to model ourselves after them. 

- - - - - - -

Eagles had the 26th overall/30th scoring defense last year and then still had to trade away their best sack guy who had double-digit+ sacks in 4 straight years. 

Would we be willing to get rid of Hendrickson to keep Higgins?

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 08:26 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: "Let's get Chase instead of Sewell you guys. We can get good O line talent in later rounds."

Jamar Chase today: Looking like his price tag is too high even after the FO told Higgins and Bates to pound sand.

Oh yeah, and that O line talent in later rounds?

https://i.imgur.com/eFjQ8az.png

Well we were in position to draft Humphrey and Trey Smith and instead drafted Carmen and Hill.

Also missed out on drafting Zach Tom in the following draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 09:51 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yes and didnt Hurts go right in line with being the highest paid right before Burrow. Not sure what exactly Tua got but I'm sure he's right up there as well. 

Hurts signed for 4mil less per year which is a pretty significant amount for two players who have achieved the same. 
Reply/Quote
I hope this backfires spectacularly for mr. chase.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 09:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What antics did Joe Burrow have to pull to become the highest paid player in the NFL? 

Right he didn't atleast that we saw anyway. But perhaps it's a bit different the QB position is the most important. While some QBs have been dragged on Burrow has done everything you want while taking a beating at times. 
But as far as skill players in the current era Chase could go on being drastically underpaid knowing he'll be taken care of in the near future. Which we all firmly believe he will. But what precedent does he have that shows that they won't balk at his request next season? At some point he has to put his foot down. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 09:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Miami is 5-12 against teams that finished with a winning record the last 2 years, they've won 0 playoff games, and currently have -$28.5m in cap space next year with 40 guys under contract.

They're not exactly a complete team and I'm not sure we should be trying to model ourselves after them. 

- - - - - - -

Eagles had the 26th overall/30th scoring defense last year and then still had to trade away their best sack guy who had double-digit+ sacks in 4 straight years. Would we be willing to get rid of Hendrickson to keep Higgins?

Considering age, maybe. But my point was more about pushing back on the idea you can’t pay other top players once you pay your QB. It doesn’t even have to be WR’s. Most teams can at least afford to pay 2-3 guys. KC is lucky one of their best players plays a cheap position in Kelce, but they did pay Chris Jones and Thuney top market deals.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 09:59 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I hope this backfires spectacularly for mr. chase.

How could it "backfire spectacularly" without hurting the Bengals? If he does well, it won't backfire spectacularly, and we need him to do well in order for the Bengals to do well. That just seems like you're cheering for Bengals failure there.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
The draft is the problem. If we didn’t have to buy an O and D line we could have bought receivers……

But you build from the inside out right board gm’s…. So they did what they had to do.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 10:00 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Right he didn't atleast that we saw anyway. But perhaps it's a bit different the QB position is the most important. While some QBs have been dragged on Burrow has done everything you want while taking a beating at times. 
But as far as skill players in the current era Chase could go on being drastically underpaid knowing he'll be taken care of in the near future. Which we all firmly believe he will. But what precedent does he have that shows that they won't balk at his request next season? At some point he has to put his foot down. 

I suppose the latest examples would be Joe Mixon and Tyler Boyd. We gave each of them a contract deserving of their performance after their Rookie contracts, 

Reply/Quote
One things for sure. Chase ain’t betting on himself.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Considering age, maybe. But my point was more about pushing back on the idea you can’t pay other top players once you pay your QB. It doesn’t even have to be WR’s. Most teams can at least afford to pay 2-3 guys. KC is lucky one of their best players plays a cheap position in Kelce, but they did pay Chris Jones and Thuney top market deals.

Mahomes is making 10mil a year less on average then Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 10:12 PM)TheFan Wrote: Mahomes is making 10mil a year less on average then Burrow. 

Ok, and? Jordan Love makes as much as Burrow now. And the next guy will make even more. That’s how it works.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 10:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How could it "backfire spectacularly" without hurting the Bengals? If he does well, it won't backfire spectacularly, and we need him to do well in order for the Bengals to do well. That just seems like you're cheering for Bengals failure there.

Not at all. I don’t believe this team cannot win without Chase.

Easier with him. Sure. But the guy’s holding out, disrupting things in the off-season before we might have the best chance at winning a Super Bowl in this franchise’s history. Yeah, I’m bitter about it. If he holds out and they start winning, his leverage is gone, and the next guy who entertains a similar idea thinks a little longer about it.

If this happened next off-season, I’d be a lot more sympathetic.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 09:54 PM)TheFan Wrote: Hurts signed for 4mil less per year which is a pretty significant amount for two players who have achieved the same. 

I couldn't remember the time frame of all the signings. I know they just kept one upping the next. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2024, 10:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ok, and? Jordan Love makes as much as Burrow now. And the next guy will make even more. That’s how it works.

Then why does CeeDee Lamb make less than Justin Jefferson? 

Reply/Quote