Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Chase not Practicing
(08-30-2024, 03:10 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Some of the takes on here are wild

Turning on the team's 1st or 2nd best player to negotiate the best deal possible for himself.

Something each and every one of you would do if you were in his position.

It is highly entertaining.  Keep it up!!

As Ocho would say I love all you m'fers!!!  Even the guy who called him a little effin dweeb.

A lot of it probably has to do with the fact this is the first training camp Burrow came out of healthy, as did most of the team, and now it's going to take Chase two or three games to get his feet under him since he chose not to participate. With the Chiefs second on the schedule, he has possibly screwed the rest of the team
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 03:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Meh, I'd like to consider myself more of a Tee Higgins type. 

No one has turned on him for trying to negotiate a deal. Some have issue with his method of negotiation. 

Oh, so blow it in your contract year, demand a trade in the media, then report when nobody is willing to trade for/pay you and the writing is on the wall that you need to have a great season to get anything close to what you're asking for?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 02:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BS. You cannot put everything on completion percentage and act like that is all there is to it. Burrow and Chase go way back and Burrow makes throws
to Chase he doesn't to Higgins. Higgins relies on his size which helps him get open, Chase relies on his speed, explosiveness and his chemistry with Joe
much more than Tee does. I don't understand how someone can be a fan of the Bengals and not see these throws and this natural chemistry.

They can read each other's minds. Can Burrow and Tee read each other's minds? Of course but not to the level of Burrow and Chase.

[Image: 3771fe36-ba25-45ac-b8eb-c268cb1048cd_text.gif]

Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 01:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right. Chase makes this team better, there is no denying that. But is trading him for a high-end DE to pair with Hendrickson and Hubbard, signing Higgins to a long-term deal to pair with Burton and Yoshi, and possibly getting a better RB to add to the stable really going to destroy this team. Chase is replaceable, as the Chiefs showed with the Cheeta

1. What team is trading what high-end DE? How much are they going to cost? High end guys are getting $28-34m/yr, how are you paying that AND Higgins? Will Hendrickson then completely hold-in if he's making that much less than another guy on the team at his position?

2. If you sign Higgins to a long-term deal to be your #1 WR, you will regret it near-immediately and have a bottom-25% WR trio.

3. The Chiefs have one of the two greatest pass catching TEs of all time and a HoF coach. We do not.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 03:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: Oh, so blow it in your contract year, demand a trade in the media, then report when nobody is willing to trade for/pay you and the writing is on the wall that you need to have a great season to get anything close to what you're asking for?

Damn, who knew you were so harsh on the players. You must really hate Chase's antics, unless of course, Chase had an All-Pro type season last year. 

But IRT Tee; I was talking more about how he went into the last year of his contract, but IMO he's been a standup guy this off-season as well. He could have easily sat out all preseason as he didn't have a contract. But he said he loves the team so he came in to get ready for the season. You know, pretty much the opposite of what Chase is doing. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 03:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one has turned on him for trying to negotiate a deal. Some have issue with his method of negotiation. 

I feel like we (rightfully or wrongfully) blamed Tee's agent more then Tee. Tee came out of it pretty clean on this board. Now social media wise there were trolls but that is typical of social media. 

We must not know much about Chase's Agent. 

Clients | Alliance Sports (alliance-sports.com)

Chase may be their cash cow by the looks of their client list.... Never having negotiated with MB is tough. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 03:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Damn, who knew you were so harsh on the players. You must really hate Chase's antics, unless of course, Chase had an All-Pro type season last year. 

But IRT Tee; I was talking more about how he went into the last year of his contract, but IMO he's been a standup guy this off-season as well. 

I don't really have a big issue with how either has gone about things, honestly.  I also defended Tee when folks attacked his character earlier this off-season even though I have never been a "pay Tee" guy.  

But they are going to play the situation differently because they are not in the same situation.  Chase has a lot more leverage because he's just a better player.  Higgins is not in demand.  I mean, look at all the teams sniffing around Aiyuk and for Tee it was crickets.  
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 01:57 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They're #2 WRs, Chase is a #1.

If Chase was in Miami he would be #2 just like Waddle.  Hill has put up back to back 1,700+ yard seasons.  Chase hasnt come close to doing this once.  Put Chase in Miami and he is a #2 as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 12:49 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I would also say that being a rookie contract you are able to renegotiate after 3 years. So that can't completely be solely up to the team. So Chase thinks he's played well enough to renegotiate now that it's available to him. I agree that he has. Now ultimately the team has to decided as well but it's certainly not a standard point A point B contract situation. 
Should a team be able  to the same when they a player is not performing well
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 02:40 PM)iowahwky4cinci Wrote: This effin' little dweeb. Already making millions and upset because he isn't getting 27 million.
The sports world is clearly upside-down.

Weak take. This isn’t the first time a player has held out and wanted a contract, during, before or after they have a contract. Just because nfl players make a “ridiculous” amount of money, doesn’t mean it’s ridiculous. The NFL generates BILLIONS of dollars a year. Chase is asking for like 0.01% of what the nfl generates. The bengals generate about $500M and chase would like 7%.

Don’t look at the nfl as a sport. Look at it as a business, because that’s exactly what it is.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 03:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1. What team is trading what high-end DE? How much are they going to cost? High end guys are getting $28-34m/yr, how are you paying that AND Higgins? Will Hendrickson then completely hold-in if he's making that much less than another guy on the team at his position?

2. If you sign Higgins to a long-term deal to be your #1 WR, you will regret it near-immediately and have a bottom-25% WR trio.

3. The Chiefs have one of the two greatest pass catching TEs of all time and a HoF coach. We do not.

Excellent post. You don’t trade chase. You pay him. You took him #5, he’s balled out and is elite. This is absolute dream scenario when they drafted him. The bengals didn’t say “I hope chase pans out so we can trade him one day for a DE”. They drafted him because he’s elite at a very important position. Pay the man. I wish he would wait until next year, but I would probably do the same thing if I were in his position.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 12:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: To set this up as a real world example, a person is vastly underpaid compared to the market for an employee of their skill set at their job.  On top of that, their boss requires them to come in unpaid for team building activities and can dock their pay if they don't attend.  They are also not free to leave their job and seal employment  at a competitor because they are bound by a non-compete (illegal as of September 4th per the FTC, btw).  And they never got to choose their place of employment to begin with and had to pack their life up and move to a city not of their choosing because all the companies in their field are in league with each other and allow each other to exclusively claim candidates out of college.

But the team can be cutthroat, but the player can't.

You are wrong because this happens in the real world as well.  When you join a union, many of them will not allow you to make top money until you have been there a few years.  Its a wage scale that the new person entering the union had no say in.  You want to come and be part of this union?  You have to agree to the wage scale setup.  If you want to make more money because you are great at your job?  Its too bad, you need to wait.

Lets use the bricklayers union as an example.  Workers who have been in the bricklayers union for many years might make $35 an hour.  A new person joining this union might be forced in to a 4 year apprenticeship program where they start you out at $20 an hour.  You may end up being a great bricklayer after just one year and be as good as the guy that has been there 10+ year.  You cant however demand you should be paid the same pay as those other guys when you still have 3 years left in the apprenticeship program.  If you complain and sit out of work, they will withhold your pay and potentially get rid of you.  Sound familiar?  This happens in the real world too.  The NFL isnt unique in paying new talent less, having a wage scale and forcing people to work several years before they get top dollar.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 05:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Should a team be able  to the same when they a player is not performing well

If you are not performing well in the real world, they can reduce your pay or terminate your employment. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 02:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BS. You cannot put everything on completion percentage and act like that is all there is to it. Burrow and Chase go way back and Burrow makes throws
to Chase he doesn't to Higgins. Higgins relies on his size which helps him get open, Chase relies on his speed, explosiveness and his chemistry with Joe
much more than Tee does. I don't understand how someone can be a fan of the Bengals and not see these throws and this natural chemistry.

They can read each other's minds. Can Burrow and Tee read each other's minds? Of course but not to the level of Burrow and Chase.

Lol you read a lot of fiction don't you. They can "read each others minds!" Cut it out dude. Homie just hit you with cold hard facts that back up his point. This fantasy of Burrow and Chase having some special ESP with each other is laughable.  
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 05:12 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Weak take. This isn’t the first time a player has held out and wanted a contract, during, before or after they have a contract. Just because nfl players make a “ridiculous” amount of money, doesn’t mean it’s ridiculous. The NFL generates BILLIONS of dollars a year. Chase is asking for like 0.01% of what the nfl generates. The bengals generate about $500M and chase would like 7%.

Don’t look at the nfl as a sport. Look at it as a business, because that’s exactly what it is.

The salary cap isnt $500 million.  It's 255.4 million this year.  A 40 million per year extension would be close to 16% of the cap.  Even if you average it over a 6 yard period and the cap hit was $32 million per year which is the figure some people are trying to justify to sign Chase to a 40 million per year extension, that 32 million would take up 12.5% of the cap this year.   Joe Burrow's cap hit this year is $29.7 million or 11.6% of the cap.  Signing Ja'Marr Chase to such a ridiculous contract would take up more of the cap space than Burrow this year.   And to add, I dont think the Bengals even have that much free cap space this year to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 05:16 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: You are wrong because this happens in the real world as well.  When you join a union, many of them will not allow you to make top money until you have been there a few years.  Its a wage scale that the new person entering the union had no say in.  You want to come and be part of this union?  You have to agree to the wage scale setup.  If you want to make more money because you are great at your job?  Its too bad, you need to wait.

Lets use the bricklayers union as an example.  Workers who have been in the bricklayers union for many years might make $35 an hour.  A new person joining this union might be forced in to a 4 year apprenticeship program where they start you out at $20 an hour.  You may end up being a great bricklayer after just one year and be as good as the guy that has been there 10+ year.  You cant however demand you should be paid the same pay as those other guys when you still have 3 years left in the apprenticeship program.  If you complain and sit out of work, they will withhold your pay and potentially get rid of you.  Sound familiar?  This happens in the real world too.  The NFL isnt unique in paying new talent less, having a wage scale and forcing people to work several years before they get top dollar.

The NFL has set this period, as well.  It's three years.  Then you can negotiate for whatever you believe yourself to be worth.  Chase has completed this period, so I don't see what your point is.

However, a big problem with your example is that if ABC Construction won't pay you what you think you're worth, you're free to go negotiate with XYZ and 123 Construction. 

Also, I deal with a number of contractors that are union shops and if you try to get those guys to come in for mandatory work that they aren't getting paid for, then you're going to have a strike on your hands the second you try to withhold a dollar from someone's check.
Reply/Quote
Over / Under he signs by page 65....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 05:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: Over / Under he signs by page 65....

Hope this gets settled before that. 

I'm ready for this season to start. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 05:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: The NFL has set this period, as well.  It's three years.  Then you can negotiate for whatever you believe yourself to be worth.  Chase has completed this period, so I don't see what your point is.

The NFL's period is 4 years or 5 year's if you are a first rounder and the team picks up the option.  That is what is set in the NFL rules.  In unions, like the bricklayers union a new guy can negotiate from day 1.  That doesnt mean the company has to pay him what he wants.  They could pay him more if they wanted or they can hold him to the 4 year apprenticeship program scale that was put in place.

(08-30-2024, 05:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: However, a big problem with your example is that if ABC Construction won't pay you what you think you're worth, you're free to go negotiate with XYZ and 123 Construction. 

If Chase was a free agent, he would be free to negotiate with team XYZ or team 123 for whatever he feels he is worth but he is not a free agents so he has to honor the contract that he still has 2 years left on before he can negotiate with other teams
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 05:25 PM)ClarkHarris4Prez Wrote: Lol you read a lot of fiction don't you. They can "read each others minds!" Cut it out dude. Homie just hit you with cold hard facts that back up his point. This fantasy of Burrow and Chase having some special ESP with each other is laughable.  

No I don't. Cannot believe you don't understand what I meant and take that part out and leave out everything else I said.

Of course I didn't mean they literally can read each other's minds. I meant Burrow knows where he is going to be because they have 
worked together for so long ffs Rolleyes
Reply/Quote