Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Chase not Practicing
(08-31-2024, 12:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He has. But it’s closer through their first 45 games (the number Chase has played thus far) than people might think. And Ja’Marr has the edge in TD’s.

[Image: GWUHZh4WYAE2Hia.jpg]

Chase has also been a very good playoff performer. In Jefferson’s lone playoff game he put up a whopping 47 yards and 0 TD’s against *checks notes* the vaunted 6-11 NY Giants.

I completely get the principal of the argument that he shouldn't get what JJ got.  However, the teams cast that aside a long time ago by making the next one up the highest paid.  Not to mention, the Bengals made AJ the highest paid WR in the league when he wasn't statistically the best.  And the club made Burrow the highest paid player at his position with two years left on his dea and he wasn't statistically the best, either.  Actually, Herbert's stats were better, so I guess Joe is overpaid by the same logic.  The Bengals really don't have a principal to stand on.

Beyond that, in practicality, it's silly hill to die on.  Why?  Because he will just be even more expensive to resign next year and the year after that.  And something that the Aiyuk, Lamb, and JJ deals are going to do is make the FT a lot less manageable of a number in '26.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 09:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well then, I gotta say your analogy has no merit

Really?  Do you think he is worth closer to $9.8 mil or the highest paid player at his position in the league?

Keep something in mind, the numbers are a business negotiation and not really what I'm commenting on.  What I'm commenting on are the aspirations fired at a guy for trying to get compensated on a level closer to his performance.

If the .01 higher than JJ rumor is true, I don't personally agree.  However, that's a helluva lot closer than $9.8 mil.  But the teams have set the precedent of silly contract escalation already.  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 04:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: I completely get the principal of the argument that he shouldn't get what JJ got.  However, the teams cast that aside a long time ago by making the next one up the highest paid.  Not to mention, the Bengals made AJ the highest paid WR in the league when he wasn't statistically the best.  And the club made Burrow the highest paid player at his position with two years left on his dea and he wasn't statistically the best, either.  Actually, Herbert's stats were better, so I guess Joe is overpaid by the same logic.  The Bengals really don't have a principal to stand on.

Beyond that, in practicality, it's silly hill to die on.  Why?  Because he will just be even more expensive to resign next year and the year after that.  And something that the Aiyuk, Lamb, and JJ deals are going to do is make the FT a lot less manageable of a number in '26.

(08-31-2024, 04:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: Really?  Do you think he is worth closer to $9.8 mil or the highest paid player at his position in the league?

Keep something in mind, the numbers are a business negotiation and not really what I'm commenting on.  What I'm commenting on are the aspirations fired at a guy for trying to get compensated on a level closer to his performance.

If the .01 higher than JJ rumor is true, I don't personally agree.  However, that's a helluva lot closer than $9.8 mil.  But the teams have set the precedent of silly contract escalation already.  

Hot d@mn, we are back to agreeing with each other!

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2024, 09:28 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I know people have not agreed on this but 4yrs 160mil is really just under 32mil per year. I know people want to say that bending it to look how you want it. But lambs deal when you factor in his year left is 30.8 mil a year. So 4yrs 160 mil sounds crazy and looks crazy it's 40 mil per year. But in reality because it's 6yrs instead of 5yrs  is only 1milish? More than Lamb. I think the FO knows this and it's why the have agreed on the #s or so has been mentioned. It's got to be the guarantees that are hanging it up. 

They are all playing out their five year contract I believe so it doesn’t matter which year you sign in. It doesn’t make the numbers better because you have two years left on your contract instead of one.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 06:11 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They are all playing out their five year contract I believe so it doesn’t matter which year you sign in. It doesn’t make the numbers better because you have two years left on your contract instead of one.

Yes it does. A 4yr contract gets added onto the 2yrs remaining. Giving you 6yrs to spread the money how you see fit.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 06:16 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yes it does. A 4yr contract gets added onto the 2yrs remaining. Giving you 6yrs to spread the money how you see fit.

It doesnt make the numbers "better", it makes the cash flow more flexible for the organization.  At the end of the day, the paid amount is the same.

Reply/Quote
Players want multi year contracts that are guaranteed. But when they realize they are better than most, they want to renegotiate their contracts.
How about signing everyone for 1 year contract and next years contract will be based on what you did last year.

Doesn’t seem fair to management, who has to renegotiate every time a player complains they don’t make enough money.
I wish the NFL would outlaw, renegotiation of new contracts, and you either sit out until contract is over, or play under the contract you signed in good faith.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 06:20 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: Players want multi year contracts that are guaranteed. But when they realize they are better than most, they want to renegotiate their contracts.
How about signing everyone for 1 year contract and next years contract will be based on what you did last year.

Doesn’t seem fair to management, who has to renegotiate every time a player complains they don’t make enough money.
I wish the NFL would outlaw, renegotiation of new contracts, and you either sit out until contract is over, or play under the contract you signed in good faith.

The current system is defitniely in favor of the management and the fans.  

4-5 year set rookie scale benefits the team.
3 years of control via the franchise tag benefits the team.

A player can sit out, but according to the new CBA the penalties are much harsher today with expensive fines and the potential loss of an accrued season. 

I hate it when players threaten or actually sit out before their contract is completed, but the system favors management.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 06:19 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It doesnt make the numbers "better", it makes the cash flow more flexible for the organization.  At the end of the day, the paid amount is the same.

The paid amount is the same. I'm just saying what people always break them down into what the actual average is per year. Yes Jefferson got 35mil per year but it's actually like 32 per Lamb got 34mil but it's 30.8 per. So Chases # will be larger on the surface I assume and what was reported as 40mil but the average is just under 32mil. Chase I would have assume would not sign a 4yr 140mil contract like Jefferson because his average would be 28 per year.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 06:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The current system is defitniely in favor of the management and the fans.  

4-5 year set rookie scale benefits the team.
3 years of control via the franchise tag benefits the team.

A player can sit out, but according to the new CBA the penalties are much harsher today with expensive fines and the potential loss of an accrued season. 

I hate it when players threaten or actually sit out before their contract is completed, but the system favors management.

But they are rookies, and not all rookies pan out.  Especially quarterbacks. Management has to take chances on whether the player will be any good.   The veterans are the ones who put in the years and deserve to make more than someone just coming into the league.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 01:22 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote:

Let’s hope so. I know they have great chemistry but I’d feel much better to start the season if they’d been working on the field a lot more before this point. Let’s hope his body gets into football shape okay as well. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 06:36 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: But they are rookies, and not all rookies pan out.  Especially quarterbacks. Management has to take chances on whether the player will be any good.   The veterans are the ones who put in the years and deserve to make more than someone just coming into the league.

Veterans do make more than rookies....?

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 06:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Veterans do make more than rookies....?

I’m talking about rookie contracts versus veterans contract. Renegotiating a rookie contract before it’s over will eventually force veterans off the team, due to salary cap.

I’m sure veterans don’t want that.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 07:04 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: I’m talking about rookie contracts versus veterans contract. Renegotiating a rookie contract before it’s over will eventually force veterans off the team, due to salary cap.

I’m sure veterans don’t want that.

So?  That is how it works.  If the vets wants to stay on the team they must produce more than a rookie. 

Why would any employer keep the more expensive individual over a less expensive person if the production is comparable?

If the younger player is more valuable to the team then sacrifices have to be made due to the cap, and we should all be very thankful for that cap. 

Reply/Quote
I may be in the minority, but I think the change to rookie contracts being set based on draft position was a great move for veterans who had performed well I remember the day 1st round picks would make more than very good proven vets. The 1st five pics back then would be the highest paid players in the league without playing 1 NFL snap.

As for Chase, sign the man, then focus on winning the division, the AFC and then the Super Bowl. Come on FO and Chase, compromise and make it happen.
I am so ready for 2024 season. I love pro football and hoping for a great Bengals year. Regardless, always remember it is a game and entertainment. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 06:20 PM)Timanky12 Wrote: Players want multi year contracts that are guaranteed. But when they realize they are better than most, they want to renegotiate their contracts.

Teams want extensions, as well.  It helps them sign players for a lot less than they could if they had to bid against 31 other teams in FA.

While folks think a penny more than JJ is too much for Chase, he'd get way more than that in the open market.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 07:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I may be in the minority, but I think the change to rookie contracts being set based on draft position was a great move for veterans who had performed well I remember the day 1st round picks would make more than very good proven vets. The 1st five pics back then would be the highest paid players in the league without playing 1 NFL snap.

As for Chase, sign the man, then focus on winning the division, the AFC and then the Super Bowl. Come on FO and Chase, compromise and make it happen.

This ^, the NFLPA was 1000% on board with the rookie scale which was impacting veterans and the owners were getting crushed by guys like Jamarcus Russell.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 07:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This ^, the NFLPA was 1000% on board with the rookie scale which was impacting veterans and the owners were getting crushed by guys like Jamarcus Russell.

I think everyone is on board with the rookie pay scale. But this did bring up an interesting thought with people saying he should honor his contract. But you can negotiate an extension after 3 yrs. So the rookie contract would still be intact he's just fighting for an extension that is added onto his rookie deal not replacing it. 
But I'm hopeful with the potential of wanting him at practice monday that they announce a deal tomorrow. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 07:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This ^, the NFLPA was 1000% on board with the rookie scale which was impacting veterans and the owners were getting crushed by guys like Jamarcus Russell.

The rookie scale saved owners from their own stupidity!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2024, 08:10 PM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: The rookie scale saved owners from their own stupidity!

Can you explain further?
Reply/Quote