Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Chase not Practicing
(09-02-2024, 03:10 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: According to ESPN Ben Baby he did more in street clothes today than he did in the 2 uniform practices he participated in so there is that. sounds like as long as their are no last minute hiccups a deal has been reached.

I would feel a bit better if he was in
 uniform running around.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2024, 11:29 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They won't announce an extension until the league year officially starts, same thing they did with Burrow. Something about how the contracts are structured where it helps the Bengals financially. 

They could have agreed in princible. If he practices you will know. 

New league year started March 13th. If they wanna play around and announce it before kickoff of the Thurs night game, like last year, he's already at practice so he can't be fined under the CBA but it seems kinda sketchy to me they would allow him to not dress and practice just so they could do that. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Well it’s game week. You’d have to think he’s out week 1 regardless if a deal is signed Thursday as some hope.

If he’s not practicing he’s not playing. And if he start practicing Friday they’d be foolish to rush him out there Sunday. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2024, 07:40 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well it’s game week. You’d have to think he’s out week 1 regardless if a deal is signed Thursday as some hope.

If he’s not practicing he’s not playing. And if he start practicing Friday they’d be foolish to rush him out there Sunday. 

If he signs on Saturday, he'll play Sunday. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2024, 04:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: New league year started March 13th. If they wanna play around and announce it before kickoff of the Thurs night game, like last year, he's already at practice so he can't be fined under the CBA but it seems kinda sketchy to me they would allow him to not dress and practice just so they could do that. 

There's no way in hell they are waiting until Thursday, just to outshine KC. They did it with JB last year, but that dude was practicing all he could. 

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2024, 07:40 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well it’s game week. You’d have to think he’s out week 1 regardless if a deal is signed Thursday as some hope.

I think we see him at practice on Wednesday, suited up...
Reply/Quote
I feel like we are being trolled. If the team wants to make him the top paid receiver as rumored, and that's what he wants, then what barriers are left? The framework is as laid out as it you could possibly want.

If Chase wants a crack at a third contract before age 30, then the time to sign is now. For the team, it's as cheap as it's ever going to be. Makes sense for both sides to knock it out.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the team sees the bottom dropping out of the receiver market in the next 2 years. I think that's a thing that will happen, but probably not that soon. Give him a 3 year deal. Let him hope for another before he ages out, then see how it goes after that.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2024, 08:25 PM)samhain Wrote: I feel like we are being trolled.  If the team wants to make him the top paid receiver as rumored, and that's what he wants, then what barriers are left?  The framework is as laid out as it you could possibly want.  

If Chase wants a crack at a third contract before age 30, then the time to sign is now. For the team, it's as cheap as it's ever going to be.  Makes sense for both sides to knock it out.  

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the team sees the bottom dropping out of the receiver market in the next 2 years.  I think that's a thing that will happen, but probably not that soon.  Give him a 3 year deal.  Let him hope for another before he ages out, then see how it goes after that.

I was really hoping he would practice today. But it may not be that doom and gloom maybe they are at the finish line and his agent don't practice until ink hits paper to avoid any last minute snags. 
As far as the hold up I have to think it's guaranteed money and the finer details. I know it was reported he asked for 120 guaranteed and Lamb got 100 both of those seem like large #s for the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
I don't see any point of the collective bargaining agreement if players are not going to honor their rookie contracts, especially with multiple years left on the deal. Teams would be better off just going back to blowing their wad on JaMarcus Russell type deals and hanging the vets out to dry.

After Le'Veon Bell tried to strong arm the Steelers, I get tired of players that aren't committed to the team. Tag and trade him for next year. Sign Higgins to be the new number one
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2024, 08:46 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I don't see any point of the collective bargaining agreement if players are not going to honor their rookie contracts, especially with multiple years left on the deal.  Teams would be better off just going back to blowing their wad on JaMarcus Russell type deals and hanging the vets out to dry.

After Le'Veon Bell tried to strong arm the Steelers, I get tired of players that aren't committed to the team.  Tag and trade him for next year.  Sign Higgins to be the new number one

We don't have to Tag him.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2024, 08:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We don't have to Tag him.

Oh ya.  Good point.  Screw it and let him hang out with Bell during the season. 

At almost 2 million a week, I would be shaving that off the contract because he has not practiced and is not ready to go for week one. 

I mean what a bunch of crap. If you're not ready to practice in camp if you're healthy I would kick them off the field until they were.  It's a terrible distraction to the team and completely disrespectful to the coaches who are trying to get players ready
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
This whole situation is just ass-filled berries.

At this point it's fairer to assume he's not playing this week.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2024, 08:46 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I don't see any point of the collective bargaining agreement if players are not going to honor their rookie contracts, especially with multiple years left on the deal.  Teams would be better off just going back to blowing their wad on JaMarcus Russell type deals and hanging the vets out to dry.

After Le'Veon Bell tried to strong arm the Steelers, I get tired of players that aren't committed to the team.  Tag and trade him for next year.  Sign Higgins to be the new number one

You're going to have like 3 mediocre/bad players left, then. It's a business and pretty much everyone is in it for money because they understand the second they're deemed not worth the money, the teams will cut them in a heartbeat and they'll be out of the league.

It's funny you want to sign Higgins because you don't think Chase is committed to the team, but unlike Higgins, Chase hasn't publicly requested a trade to LEAVE the team.

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2024, 12:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You're going to have like 3 mediocre/bad players left, then. It's a business and pretty much everyone is in it for money because they understand the second they're deemed not worth the money, the teams will cut them in a heartbeat and they'll be out of the league.

It's funny you want to sign Higgins because you don't think Chase is committed to the team, but unlike Higgins, Chase hasn't publicly requested a trade to LEAVE the team.

Let's not sign Chase, apply the Tag to him, and see how that goes.

Tee has been amazing

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2024, 11:57 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: BleacherReport thinks that our stance has changed now and we want to make him the highest paid WR to get a deal done and keep him happy. 

A few other sites have also echoed this idea and say that we've intensified our efforts to get him signed:

Let's hope it's true because I have a good feeling about this season now!

I don't think money is even the issue. My guess is it guaranteed money that is gumming up the works.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2024, 12:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You're going to have like 3 mediocre/bad players left, then. It's a business and pretty much everyone is in it for money because they understand the second they're deemed not worth the money, the teams will cut them in a heartbeat and they'll be out of the league.

Oh FFS..... Higgins did not and does not want to leave either. He asked for a deal here first, and said if they couldn't give him one then he asked them to trade him. He knows the deal with Chase and Burrow's contracts and what that leaves him here. People need to stop with the "Tee wanted to be traded" stuff, he never did. 
Reply/Quote
I am 100% putting this on the front office.

What a completely a utter failure from this group over the past few years. Bates, Tee, now Chase.

Get the ***** deal done before you go and mess up a Super Bowl season.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2024, 08:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think money is even the issue. My guess is it guaranteed money that is gumming up the works.

It's always the guaranteed money with this front office. They refuse to evolve when it comes to structuring contracts. This isn't the 90s. Players want guaranteed money. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I don’t know if anyone mentioned this but one of my friends said he heard a rumor that the holdup might be that Mike Brown doesn’t have enough liquid money to go in an escrow account right now.

Seems unlikely but you have to remember that Mike doesn’t have the money that other owners have from outside entities and he was only worth about 925 million eight years ago.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2024, 09:26 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don’t know if anyone mentioned this but one of my friends said he heard a rumor that the holdup might be that Mike Brown doesn’t have enough liquid money to go in an escrow account right now.

Seems unlikely but you have to remember that Mike doesn’t have the money that other owners have from outside entities and he was only worth about 925k eight years ago.

This is one of those bad rumors floating around. The Bengals just dropped 50 million in cash on locker room renovations this off-season. If they were strapped for cash I expect that money to be spent on the players to keep them winning and bringing in more money.

What's holding up the deal is most likely the wording of the guaranteed money. Just looking at Jeffersons and Lambs contract they are similar and way different. Justin got a 38m signing bonus and 30m roster bonus in his second year along with guaranteed salaries his first 2 or 3 years. Lamb got a 37m signing bonus and gets a 29m roster bonus in 2028 the last year of his comtract which eats up void years on the backend. 

Bengals might want to spread Chase's contract out more with a signing bonus and 2 or 3 small roster bonuses sorta like Joe Burrow's contract. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote