Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 day, 2 shootings in spotlight:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/09/19/1-day-2-shootings-spotlight-terence-crutchers-death-prompts-outcry/90721356/

Quote:A terror suspect caught up in a gunfight with officers is brought into custody alive, yet an unarmed black man whose car stalled on the road days earlier is shot dead.

That's the critique many have made online since details surfaced about the officer-involved shooting of Terence Crutcher in Tulsa, Okla.

Crutcher, 40, was shot and killed by Tulsa police Friday night after his SUV stalled on the road. Yet it was on Monday that his name started trending, after video footage released by police circulated showing Crutcher getting shot after being confronted by four officers.

Quote:[/url]

Follow
[Image: kcDC_VNm_normal.jpg]Th3kidRO @th3kidro
Not again....this is terrible. #TerenceCrutcherhttps://twitter.com/complexmag/status/778005266767945728 …
7:02 PM - 19 Sep 2016

Quote:

Follow
[Image: -_eFQ4Y__normal.jpg]Jesse Benn 

@JesseBenn
Add "car breaking down" to the seemingly ever-growing list of things that can get you killed by cops if you're Black.#TerenceCrutcher
6:44 PM - 19 Sep 2016

Quote:

Follow
[Image: h4CRu6b0_normal.jpg]Daryl St Keith @Really_Daryl
As long as the color of your skin is seen as a threat.. you will never be seen as unarmed. #TerenceCrutcher#BlackLivesMatter
2:04 PM - 19 Sep 2016

The shooting itself has sparked outcries from Crutcher's family, residents of his community and people across the Internet. And one moment sticks out for many critics, including Crutcher's twin sister, Tiffany Crutcher.

In an aerial-shot video from a helicopter, someone is heard saying, "That looks like a bad dude too. "He might be on something."

Tiffany Crutcher responded to that when she called for charges against the officer:

Tiffany Crutcher, called for charges Monday, the Associated Press reported. “The big bad dude was my twin brother. That big bad dude was a father. That big bad dude was a son. That big bad dude was enrolled at Tulsa Community College, just wanting to make us proud. That big bad dude loved God. That big bad dude was at church singing with all of his flaws, every week. That big bad dude, that’s who he was.”

Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan called for the Department of Justice to investigate the shooting death. Many have echoed Tiffany Crutcher's calls for charges and questioned the description of a "bad dude."

Quote:

Follow
[Image: -ux2g6xW_normal.jpg]Taylor @Taylorislaaame
Waiting for a #TerenceCrutcher mug shot or the media depicting him as a "bad dude"
10:17 PM - 19 Sep 2016

Quote:9h
The New York Times 

@nytimes
Video released in Terence Crutcher’s killing by Tulsa policehttp://nyti.ms/2cDrb0E 

Quote:

Follow
Christian @LivChristianLiv
Those videos of the murder of #TerenceCrutcher do not look good whatsoever. Would love to know how he "looks like a bad dude" @nytimes
10:12 PM - 19 Sep 2016

Quote:

Follow
[Image: Dg8AvWP-_normal.jpg]Davon Magwood @davonmagwood
Show me the video of 'Good' cops arresting bad cops. That's the video I want to see on buzzfeed. #TerenceCrutcher
4:18 PM - 19 Sep 2016

Quote:

Follow
[Image: X6V62qda_normal.jpg]Robin Thede 

@robinthede
Cops in video calling #TerenceCrutcher a "big bad dude" = just more proof that the FEAR of black people informs the level of FORCE by police
7:13 PM - 19 Sep 2016

Many pointed out that just hours earlier, New Jersey police took 28-year-old Ahmad Khan Rahami into custody alive. He was the suspect in a series of bombings in the New York City metro area, including one that injured 29 people on Saturday night in Manhattan. And authorities say he shot two Linden, N.J., officers during a bloody shootout before being detained.

Quote:

Follow
[Image: HPgyLvvy_normal.jpg]Kris Stewart @krisinreelworld
The #NYC bomber gets taken alive but a Black man in full surrender gets gunned down and left to bleed out in the street.#TerenceCrutcher
4:21 PM - 19 Sep 2016
[Image: Csven6KVUAALj2w.jpg]

Quote:

Follow
[Image: z8mU-0hd_normal.jpg]E @esheikh_
The NYC bomber gets taken alive but a Black man in full surrender gets gunned down&left to bleed. #TerenceCrutcher
7:24 PM - 19 Sep 2016

Quote:

[url=https://twitter.com/AP__2] Follow
[Image: XnrUZDVF_normal.jpg]#NoFreeMeals2016 @AP__2
The @TulsaPolice execution of #TerenceCrutcher &the arrest of the #NYC bomber is pretty much the epitome of what@Kaepernick is kneeling for
4:13 PM - 19 Sep 2016

At the heart of their outcries, perhaps, is an all too common observation: it's another day and another hashtag.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
***** gross. What were they all bent out of shape about working up to this? Kind of seemed like one of their guns just went off on accident. WHY THE **** ARE YOU POINTING IT AT SOMEONE YOURE NOT READY TO KILL?!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
"He was acting erratically".

So you taser him and then kill him as he leans against his car with his hands up.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-20-2016, 10:20 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: "He was acting erratically".

So you taser him and then kill him as he leans against his car with his hands up.

That dumb fat ***** hobble-scooting over to him with a gun drawn was the one 'acting erratically'
I'm going to have to go with there being more to this story then we currently have. Unfortunately you can't see what immediately precipitated the shooting as the officers were in the way. As an aside, the fact that the terror suspect was captured alive doesn't mean shit, he shot a cop and they returned fire. Please trust that they weren't intending to hit him in the arm.
The Tulsa shooting should result in murder charges against whoever fired on him. The NYC guy not getting killed is unrelated and completely different as pointed out above. Trying to draw comparisons between the two is ridiculous.
(09-20-2016, 11:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: The Tulsa shooting should result in murder charges against whoever fired on him. The NYC guy not getting killed is unrelated and completely different as pointed out above. Trying to draw comparisons between the two is ridiculous.

But they bought Dylann Roof a cheeseburger!
(09-20-2016, 11:04 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm going to have to go with there being more to this story then we currently have.  Unfortunately you can't see what immediately precipitated the shooting as the officers were in the way.  As an aside, the fact that the terror suspect was captured alive doesn't mean shit, he shot a cop and they returned fire.  Please trust that they weren't intending to hit him in the arm.

Really.  I'm stunned.   Ninja
I have some questions:
Why was he originally by the police car?
Why was a gun drawn on him in the first place?
Why was he forced to walk to his vehicle with his arms raised and then apparently told to put his hands on the car?
What changes to the narrative would be made if the shooting was due to an "accidental discharge"?
Why are people acting outraged as if this cop has already gotten off scott free? Cop kills unarmed, seemingly non-threatening man with seemingly no provocation. Okay. And if the cop is arrested and charged with murder or manslaughter? Will your outrage still be there? I can understand if all that happens is the cop is fired and that's it. Then the outrage is justified, but can we at least wait and see if justice will be done before crying that justice isn't being done?
(09-20-2016, 11:37 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I have some questions:
Why was he originally by the police car?
Why was a gun drawn on him in the first place?
Why was he forced to walk to his vehicle with his arms raised and then apparently told to put his hands on the car?
What changes to the narrative would be made if the shooting was due to an "accidental discharge"?
Why are people acting outraged as if this cop has already gotten off scott free? Cop kills unarmed, seemingly non-threatening man with seemingly no provocation. Okay. And if the cop is arrested and charged with murder or manslaughter? Will your outrage still be there? I can understand if all that happens is the cop is fired and that's it. Then the outrage is justified, but can we at least wait and see if justice will be done before crying that justice isn't being done?

I think the point is that if you shoot and kill some one in front of a lot of police then you should already be in jail.

Seems like this officer is getting special treatment.
(09-20-2016, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think the point is that if you shoot and kill some one in front of a lot of police then you should already be in jail.

Officer-related crimes ARE treated differently than civilian-committed crimes, usually. But, with that said, if the justice system works and if this cop did murder this guy and goes to prison for it, then there should be no outrage. Well, a little outrage that a cop shot an unarmed man is warranted, but not the kind as if the cop was already exonerated before the system can even do anything. That's my point.
(09-20-2016, 11:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: Really.  I'm stunned.   Ninja

That someone would actually need all the facts before they make a decision.  I can see why that would confuse you.

(09-20-2016, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think the point is that if you shoot and kill some one in front of a lot of police then you should already be in jail.

Derp.  Yet another instance of you displaying an astounding level of ignorance about the criminal justice system.  The use of lethal force is within the remit of a LEO's job.  This being an indisputable fact any use of force needs to be investigated before criminal charges are filed.  Arresting an LEO immediately after they shoot someone during the course of their duties would require an extraordinary amount of evidence that a crime occurred and not an LEO operating under the auspices of their job.  Maybe you'll delete this entire post as well?
(09-20-2016, 11:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: The Tulsa shooting should result in murder charges against whoever fired on him. The NYC guy not getting killed is unrelated and completely different as pointed out above. Trying to draw comparisons between the two is ridiculous.

This x1000000000000000000000

Faulty comparison is everyone's new favorite logical fallacy.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(09-20-2016, 12:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Derp.  Yet another instance of you displaying an astounding level of ignorance about the criminal justice system.  The use of lethal force is within the remit of a LEO's job.  This being an indisputable fact any use of force needs to be investigated before criminal charges are filed.  Arresting an LEO immediately after they shoot someone during the course of their duties would require an extraordinary amount of evidence that a crime occurred and not an LEO operating under the auspices of their job.  Maybe you'll delete this entire post as well?

First of all let me say that I agree with you that there is a lot more to this than what the video showed.  But when there are two clear videos of police shooting an unarmed man who is doing nothing threatening and is not even accused of being involved in any type of criminal activity then most of the public are going to feel that the officer should be in jail.  

All it takes is probable cause to make an arrest.  They do not have to have proof enough to convict just to make an arrest.  And with all the cases of police lying to protect guilty police officers you have to understand why the public feels this is another case  of police feeling like they are "above the law"
(09-20-2016, 11:22 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: But they bought Dylann Roof a cheeseburger!

LMAO

I hear this all the time as some type of proof about a rigged system.  "They didn't shoot Roof!"

These same people that say that we should give people the benefit of the doubt, jump to wanting Roof shot on sight. 
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like from all the information out there that any of these officers were wearing body cameras and both videos give no clear view of what happened. The thing I am curious about more than anything is what precipitated the officer that fire the shots pulling her firearm to begin with. Lots of unanswered questions here, and something we will never know the full story of.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-20-2016, 02:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like from all the information out there that any of these officers were wearing body cameras and both videos give no clear view of what happened. The thing I am curious about more than anything is what precipitated the officer that fire the shots pulling her firearm to begin with. Lots of unanswered questions here, and something we will never know the full story of.

Clearly the guy in the helicopter saw something...  Ninja
I can't find the original shooting story on USA Today right now, but this is close:

Just in case anyone wants more details.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/20/494697359/after-police-killing-of-unarmed-man-tulsa-chief-promises-to-achieve-justice

Quote:The video is disturbing and prompts many questions — and that's how the police see it. The family of Terence Crutcher, who was shot dead by police Friday, says the footage should lead to criminal charges against the officer who killed an unarmed man.

The Justice Department has begun a parallel investigation into possible civil rights charges related to Crutcher's death, U.S. Attorney Danny Williams Sr. said Monday. He promised "to seek justice on behalf of this family, and for the public."

Crutcher, who was black, died next to his SUV that had stopped in the middle of a two-lane road in Tulsa, Okla. Seconds before he was shot, police dashcam and helicopter footage shows, he had walked to his car with his hands held over his head as Officer Betty Shelby walked behind him, her gun raised.

We'll post the helicopter video and link to more footage here, with the warning that some of the video is graphic and may be difficult to watch.

In the recording from the Tulsa police helicopter, an officer is heard saying of Crutcher as he walks in front of Shelby, "Looks like that's a bad dude, maybe on something."

Officers had been called to the scene by passers-by who had reported a vehicle abandoned in the road. "He took off running," a woman told a 911 operator, saying that the man said his vehicle might blow up. She added, "I think he's smoking something."

Shelby, who is white, was one of four police officers who were standing at the rear bumper of Crutcher's car as he stood next to his vehicle around 7:45 p.m. Friday. She's also the officer who shot him once, in the upper body — and who then radioed, "Shots fired." Police say another officer used his Taser on Crutcher at nearly the same time he was shot.

"I want to assure our community, and I want to assure all of you and people across the nation who are going to be looking at this, we will achieve justice, period," Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan said Monday, as his department released the videos. He called the footage "very disturbing; it's very difficult to watch."

Officer Shelby's attorney, Scott Wood, told the Tulsa World that Shelby believed Crutcher was reaching for something inside his car, and that he hadn't been following her commands.

"I'm going to tell you right here and now: There was no gun on the suspect or in the suspect's vehicle," Jordan said of Crutcher. The police chief said he contacted the U.S. Attorney's Office about the case immediately after the shooting, and he added, "We will achieve justice in this case."

Jordan said that the first time he watched the police-cam footage was when he viewed it with Crutcher's family — something he said he did on Sunday, to give the slain man's relatives a chance to see the video before anyone else.

[Image: gettyimages-605874564_sq-0832d15ab855249...00-c85.jpg]

"After watching the video and seeing what actually happened," said Tiffany Crutcher, Terence's twin sister, "we're truly devastated. The entire family is devastated."

Tiffany Crutcher then went on to tell the media gathered in Tulsa, "You all want to know who that big 'bad dude' was. That big 'bad dude' was my twin brother. That big 'bad dude' was a father. That big 'bad dude' was a son. That big 'bad dude' was enrolled at Tulsa Community College, just wanting to make us proud.

"That big 'bad dude' loved God; that big 'bad dude' was at church singing, with all his flaws, every week. That's who he was."

Tiffany Crutcher said her brother's future was taken away because of negligence and incompetence — "and because he was a big 'bad dude.'"

[Image: ap_16199861336398_sq-881d1b0dda18d81dbb3...00-c85.jpg]

Demanding charges for the officers involved, Tiffany Crutcher said of her brother, "His life mattered."

Referring to other incidents of police killings of unarmed black men, she added, "This is bigger than us right here. We're going to stop it right here."

The time code in the video taken from the dashcam of Officer Tyler Turnbough shows that Crutcher was shot around 1:50 into the recording. Over the radio, an officer can be heard referring to him as a "suspect" — although the situation was initially called in as a traffic incident, possibly involving a broken-down vehicle.

After Shelby shot Crutcher, two officers walked to the opposite side of the vehicle to ensure the scene was safe; a female officer is then seen running away from the immediate area. Moments later, three officers, seemingly including Shelby, backed slowly away from Crutcher's body. They then crouched down behind a police cruiser.

Crutcher was left alone on the asphalt until around the 3:45 mark in the video, when an officer checks his pockets; it isn't until around 4:30 that anyone crouches down to render any aid.

The police department says Betty Jo Shelby, 42, joined the force in December of 2011.Tulsa World reports that she had previously worked at the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office.

"Please, maintain the peace," Jordan said at his news conference. He added, "Protests are not a problem. ... I grew up in the '60s; it's a very valid way for people to air their grievances."
A little more info.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/09/20/aclu-tulsa-officer-shot-terence-crutcher-cold-blood/90728644/

Quote:Attorney Scott Wood, however, told the Tulsa World that the confrontation Friday had been underway for almost 2 minutes before video from a police helicopter and other officers' dashcams began to roll. The graphic video, released by police this week, shows Crutcher walking toward his SUV with his hands up and his back to multiple officers.

Crutcher appears to place his hands on his vehicle when he falls to the ground, shocked with a stun gun by one officer and shot by Shelby. In the video, no one immediately attempts to help provide aid to the fallen man.

Wood said no one was around when Shelby pulled up to find an SUV straddling the center line with its engine running and doors open. Wood, who did not immediately respond to a request for comment from USA TODAY, told World that Crutcher reached toward or into his pockets several times despite Shelby ordering him not to do so.

Wood said Shelby completed drug-recognition expert training and believed Crutcher was acting like a person who might be under the influence of PCP.

Wood said Crutcher looked at Shelby and reached with his hand into the car window. Officer Turnbough fired his stun gun at the same time Shelby fired her gun because both officers perceived Crutcher's actions as a threat, Wood said.

Shelby, a five-year veteran of the police force, was placed on paid administrative leave. Her husband was in the police helicopter that recorded the shooting.
Clearly this guy was acting strangely for some reason. the question is did he do anything dangerous or threatening.

Doesn't look like anything that justified use of deadly force. He probably was not the church going, well behaved college student that some claim he was, but it doesn't look like he did anything that justified him being shot.