Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Reds Season Thread
Watching the Braves young, budding (potential) Super Stars playing is kinda depressing. Acuna and Albies are the two youngest players in baseball right now. Elite talents. The lack of development of international players is a huge issue for the Reds. It worked for Chapman and Iglesias, but has been a failure elsewhere. The Alfredo Rodriguez signing was dumb.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What in the hell was the point of keeping Pennington and Gosselin, the veteran “super utility” players, coming out of spring training, now that both have been optioned to the minors in the first month? Another dumb Price decision?
Reply/Quote
Man, our offense finally came alive last night!

Let's see if they keep it up or if that was kind of a one shot wonder.

Peraza is finally hitting the way he was originally projected to.

Duvall and Hamilton remain the wet blankets on our offense though haha.
Reply/Quote
ZZZZZZZZ. At least we had NFL Draft. The only solution to Reds is total apathy. If you don't think about them or don't watch them, you won't mind another last place season. Reds GM already talking next season on permanent manager and things. For this GM there shouldn't be a next season. Dick Williams really blows bubbles. One of worst GM's Reds have ever had. I would care, but ZZZZZZZ, going to sleep on these Reds. ZZZZZZZZ, the only solution is total apathy. ZZZZZZZZZ. Save your money and go watch summer movies or buy ice cream. The Reds are impossible to watch. Anything else on TV is better. Dick Van Dyke doing Tai Cheng is more exciting. I think rest home shuffle board would be more exciting than Reds. Watching old ladies play Bingo would be better than Reds. You know Reds are bad when you have a choice between Reds game and an hour infomercial on Flex Seal and you would rather watch Phil Swift sell Flex Seal. Reds the worst thing on TV, ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Am I imagining things, or did the Reds just win another series? 24 runs in 3 games is just what they needed to prove that the bats still work.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Reds and Votto starting to heat up. Riggleman says the team is not as bad as their record. Too late to push for the playoffs anyway. I would consider this season a success if the Reds finished .500 or above at this point. Baby steps.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
OK, I'll give credit where credit is due. For the first time this season Reds deserve credit. FIRST SERIES WIN OF SEASON. ALSO : Under New Manager Riggleman Reds in series play are 1 Win, 1 Loss, 1 Tie. If they could just play .500 ball, that would be a huge improvement. ALSO : Votto out of his April slump and now hitting. Now I know the Twins aren't very good either, but a win is a win.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 04:40 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: What in the hell was the point of keeping Pennington and Gosselin, the veteran “super utility” players, coming out of spring training, now that both have been optioned to the minors in the first month? Another dumb Price decision?

To let young guys get regular playing time in AAA instaed of sitting the bench in the majors.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 08:45 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Reds and Votto starting to heat up. Riggleman says the team is not as bad as their record. Too late to push for the playoffs anyway. I would consider this season a success if the Reds finished .500 or above at this point. Baby steps.

I would be gobsmacked if this team plays .500 ball.
Reply/Quote
With Suarez back, Votto waking up, and Peraza hitting, the offense seems to be trending up (despite scoring zero runs tonight, lol).

I hope to god that this is the Peraza they saw when they traded for him. If his consistent hitting is here to stay, then that's sort of a big deal. It would be nice to have a guy like that to put at the top of the batting order.

They need to give up on this 4 OF rotation stupidity ASAP. Duval isn't doing shit to be considered anything but a bench bat. He's been in a slump since last freaking July. Hamilton isn't going to hit either. he's what he is at this point. There's absolutely no reason that Winker and Schebler should not be playing every day. Hamilton and Duval should be the only ones rotating.

The pitching will keep this team consistently terrible, regardless. I sure hope that there's a Harper/Strasburg type of player coming out in the 2019 draft.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 09:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To let young guys get regular playing time in AAA instaed of sitting the bench in the majors.

Which is a fine reason. So, why not keep them longer? The young guys don't need regular playing time anymore?
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2018, 11:57 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Which is a fine reason. So, why not keep them longer? The young guys don't need regular playing time anymore?

That is a very good question.

Who did they bring up?  Young guys or older AAA "vets" who bounce in and out of the majors every year?
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is a very good question.

Who did they bring up?  Young guys or older AAA "vets" who bounce in and out of the majors every year?

I believe for service time. If they play a certain amount of PT in the bigs, it gives them less team control. 

But to answer the question, Senzel needs called up yesterday. He's better than Blandino and little reason he's not on this team, learning.
Reply/Quote
Jay Bruce hits a rocket too. Then walks around the park and signs stuff for the fans. Classy guy.
Reply/Quote
So long Mezzo, hardly knew ya. So, what’s the plan for Harvey? He’s a shell of his formerself and had been moved to the bullpen. I hope they didn’t just trade the best back-up catcher in the league for bull-pen help.
Reply/Quote
We trade one washed up, overpriced player who is a free agent at the end of the season for another.

We weren't going anywhere this year anyway, so they probably just figured may as well try out a reclamation project.

*shrug*

Mesoraco was a shell of his former self anyway.
Reply/Quote
Well, I gave credit when Riggleman was 1 win, 1 loss, 1 tie.

I now have to add he is now 1 win, 3 losses, 1 tie

Ownership can be PROUD. They clinched Last Place before May 15th like last 2 or 3 seasons.

I have news for ownership. As a GM, I could get rid of Votto and all big money players and put the cheapest team ever on the field at a HUGE savings to ownership and have a record no worse than Reds starts in 2018, 2017, 2016. They might even luck out and win a couple more games. That's all Reds wins are is luck and odds. It would be hard for any team to lose all 162 games. The saying you can't win them all also means you can't lose them all also, unless you are the Cleveland Browns. In Baseball you really can't lose them all. So any Reds wins last few years is just because you can't lose them all

Whoever the Reds pitching scouts and pitching coaches are, they should all be eliminated. You have a team like the Dodgers that for decades has been the model for finding and developing pitchers. Then you have the Reds who most of their history have been just awful on pitching.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well, it seems that at least one team is more poorly organized than the Reds. Mets nabbed for batting out of order, en route to Reds 2-1 win.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
8-9 after our 3-18 start.
Reply/Quote
9-9 since April 23rd.

This team actually isn't as depressingly bad as their record suggests.
Reply/Quote