Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Reds Season Thread
(08-20-2018, 11:14 AM)grampahol Wrote: Tough to buy the fatigue story when they're often chased out by the 4th inning. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I remember when starting pitchers were pretty much required to go 6-7 innings minimum and when they got chased by the 6th they were bums..

This.  Fatigue is not the problem when you stink at the beginning of the season and you stink in the first inning of games.

I think it might be whiplash from watching all those rockets fly past them.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2018, 09:18 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote:  Votto does not look like the other-worldly player he used to (consecutive 90+ losing seasons will do that, or he's still injured and playing thru it). 

Peraza has a high slugging percentage and batting average than Votto.  But I think it is physical more than mental with Joey.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 10:56 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: There’s a couple more guys that might be up next season that give me hope for 2019, Taylor Trammell and Tony Santillan.

Rotation: Castillo, Romano, Mahle, Santillan, Bailey/Disco/Garrett/Whoever

Outfield: Winker, Hamilton/Trammel, Schebler/Gennett

Infield: Votto, Senzel/Gennett, Peraza, Suarez/Senzel

That rotation ain't gonna fly and everyone knows it.  They have to go out and sign a top end starter, maybe two, before they can even start talking about hoping for anything.

I have a feeling Harvey will be re-signed.  I can't imagine why they wouldn't trade him for something, anything otherwise.  He and one other need to come in for this team to be serious about anything.

I'm not trying to be a downer.  I think they actually realize this and will be active in trying to acquire pitching this offseason.  If they don't, we'll have more of the last 4 years next season.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2018, 11:43 PM)samhain Wrote: That rotation ain't gonna fly and everyone knows it.  They have to go out and sign a top end starter, maybe two, before they can even start talking about hoping for anything.

I have a feeling Harvey will be re-signed.  I can't imagine why they wouldn't trade him for something, anything otherwise.  He and one other need to come in for this team to be serious about anything.

I'm not trying to be a downer.  I think they actually realize this and will be active in trying to acquire pitching this offseason.  If they don't, we'll have more of the last 4 years next season.

I'm all for signing a #1, but I don't see any hitting the market that the Reds can afford. They just missed their first chance at trading for one, it will be tougher this winter when most teams are optimistic about the upcoming season.

I still think Castillo has good enough stuff to be a #2 minimum. Agree on Harvey, I think he gives the team a discount because he likes being in Cincy. Current projection for next year's rotation would be:

Disco
Castillo
Harvey
Romano
Mahle
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2018, 12:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'm all for signing a #1, but I don't see any hitting the market that the Reds can afford. They just missed their first chance at trading for one, it will be tougher this winter when most teams are optimistic about the upcoming season.

I still think Castillo has good enough stuff to be a #2 minimum. Agree on Harvey, I think he gives the team a discount because he likes being in Cincy. Current projection for next year's rotation would be:

Disco
Castillo
Harvey
Romano
Mahle

Lets get Kershaw  Hilarious 

And you're forgetting homer. Do they eat 28 million plus in salary? I am not sure. And the Harvey situation is really simple IMO: Does he help you with your next pennant race? If the answer is yes, then do it. If the answer is no, I don't see any reason to pay him around 5-10 million dollars when you can give that to a younger, cheaper guy that could be apart of the next good club. Personally, I think this team is at least 2-3 years away from competing at a high-level.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Quote:Stalled out
These are teams that are rebuilding, and have been rebuilding, but by now probably shouldn't be rebuilding.

12. Cincinnati Reds
13. Texas Rangers

The pitching on these teams remains frightful. The Reds have been spectacularly bad at turning their pitching prospects into major league producers, and this season hasn't been a whole lot better. Anthony DeSclafani, Luis Castillo, Tyler Mahle and Sal Romano at least look as if they have a chance to stick. But Cincinnati still needs a couple of staff anchors, even if Matt Harvey sticks around and continues to trend upward.

The Reds have been indecisive with their moves this season. As a free-agent-to-be, Harvey was found money for Cincinnati and probably should have been flipped. On the other hand, maybe the offers for him were simply that bad. If he decides to stick around and the price tag isn't too ridiculous, then maybe the call to keep Harvey will still pay off.

However, that's less likely of closer Raisel Iglesias, who surely attracted interest around the deadline. He was dominant last year, but this year his underlying metrics are way down. Plus, he's already 28. The decision to keep him, Harvey and second baseman Scooter Gennett all suggest the Reds feel as if they are close. But until we start seeing above-average seasons from their internally developed starting pitchers, this is an organization that is running in place.

ESPN has us listed as a rebuild that is "Stalling out"

Can't say I disagree with anything they say.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/24648596/tanking-tiers-ranking-mlb-rebuilders
Reply/Quote
Quote:The decision to keep him, Harvey and second baseman Scooter Gennett all suggest the Reds feel as if they are close.

This is my biggest fear Sick

I just....just don't see how they can possibly think this in the division they're in and pitching performance. I hope they have bigger plans up their sleeve, but it's starting to look like they really don't have full dedication or direction for this rebuild.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2018, 08:54 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: ESPN has us listed as a rebuild that is "Stalling out"

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/24648596/tanking-tiers-ranking-mlb-rebuilders

Outside of Senzel, all the best prospects have a 2020-21 eta. So, I’d expect more of the same next season, try to develop pitching, try to trade Hamilton/Disco/Iglesias, try to get close to .500.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2018, 08:54 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: ESPN has us listed as a rebuild that is "Stalling out"

Now is the time to stop "rebuilding" and go get some damn starting pitching.

If they blow it up again for prospects trading the core players away it's another 3/4 years down the road and turns into an 8 year rebuild !

They've got to eat the Bailey contract and move on or the fans are gonna mutiny.
Reply/Quote
Don't look now, but Cody Reed had a second consecutive great start.

6.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 6 SO, 0 BB, W

That was following last week's line:
5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 10 SO, 2 BB, ND

Maybe he has a spot on this rotation next year.

Not that it's actually difficult to be one of the 5 best starting pitchers on this team.
Reply/Quote
The pain will be over soon. Time for a new manager too.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 11:16 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The pain will be over soon. Time for a new manager too.

What do you think Riggleman should have done differently?
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What do you think Riggleman should have done differently?

I think Riggleman did okay. However, he stuck with Homer way too long. I just think we need new leadership.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What do you think Riggleman should have done differently?

Not much he could do really.  He had a quicker hook than Price, who left pitchers in too long imo.  The results weren't much different, but at least he pulled them.  No manager can win with a bad starting staff though.  
Reply/Quote
I think Riggs did just fine, but I don't want him retained, mostly based on his past track record of being mediocre. I'd prefer the team went the direction of a recently retired (within 5 - 7 years) former player. Just seems those guys have a better feel for today's game and players, than the guys that came up playing and managing in the 80's and 90's.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 12:30 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think Riggs did just fine, but I don't want him retained, mostly based on his past track record of being mediocre. I'd prefer the team went the direction of a recently retired (within 5 - 7 years) former player. Just seems those guys have a better feel for today's game and players, than the guys that came up playing and managing in the 80's and 90's.

This sounds like the Barry Larkin crowd. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote

Stop bunting as much and hitting B-Ham leadoff. 
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2018, 11:16 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The pain will be over soon. Time for a new manager too.

(09-24-2018, 12:51 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: This sounds like the Barry Larkin crowd. lol

Nope. I love Larkin, but his playing days are too far removed to fit what I want in a manager.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 09:40 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Stop bunting as much and hitting B-Ham leadoff. 

Hamilton only hit lead off in about 35 games this year (120 AB).
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 11:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Hamilton only hit lead off in about 35 games this year (120 AB).

Where did you find that at? Of all the games I watched he play, he batted leadoff in about half of them. I swear I thought it was more, but you're probably right 
Reply/Quote