Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 Election
(07-30-2020, 01:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Here's the other issue, and it's one you can pin on the GOP as well.  Aside from the fact that we all known it's far more than "one person" or "one location" the other problem is that these radical proposals get virtually zero push back from what we would all describe as moderates.  Biden did state he doesn't want to defund the police, but aside from saying something along the lines of "I don't agree with all of that" these radical proposals are met with silence.  No push back, no stating that this is a radical proposal.  

Like I said, we can revisit this once the Democratic party platform is released.  Then we can see how far the proverbial one person's influence has spread.

Since the vast majority of Americans favor some degree of police reform, it doesn't require special powers of prophesy to see the Democrats will be the party responding to that groundswell with policy proposals.

Most Americans Say Policing Needs 'Major Changes'
https://news.gallup.com/poll/315962/americans-say-policing-needs-major-changes.aspx

But I am predicting the Dems won't propose to turn the US into "Autonomous Occupied Zone USA." If they do, then my judgment is broken and your fears were well founded--the Dems are indeed the left mirror-image of the Republican party.

Like you say, we'll have to wait and see.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 12:12 PM)Dill Wrote: You left out

Hence the [...]. I left out a lot. You, I feel, leave out those that see Trump as a bad person and president, but feel strongly about conservative judges or about abortion or about the economic system and many things that, although totally not my view on things, are inherently understandable and non-crazy reasons. I still feel there's something at stake that should be more important than any of these issues, but I can't scold anyone that disagrees on that front.
As I said, not all Trump voters are seduced, uninformed, riddled by irrational fears etc. And the constant implications (I am not really targeting you specifically with that remark) that they all are one of those unflattering things imho make it understandable that anti-Trumpers often are perceived as overly condescending.

(07-30-2020, 12:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This post in honestly fascinating for being exactly what it is attempting to describe.  A much better case could be made that the far left has infiltrated the moderate left.  "Trumpism", a few people aside, ends the moment Trump is out of office.

Yeah that's what we thought as well. From experience in my home country - and I get that this is easily dismissable, but still - I am quite sure you're wrong on that account though. I hope I am wrong, but I'm afraid Trumpism is here to stay. Most people don't turn back to being moderate and reasonable once they went the Trump way of conspiracy and hatred. (Sure that is just my take of what Trumpism is.)

- I mean, you don't think Democrats could ever revert back from radical ideas, why would you think Trump-friendly conservatives would.

(07-30-2020, 12:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The far left has deeply enmeshed themselves in the Democratic party and they have no focal point, no single driving person, they are here to stay.  Their proposals are far more radical than anything Trump has done or even proposed.  Seattle just cut their police budget by 50%.  When told that this would mean a large percentage of non-white officers would be laid off a city council member suggested changing the MOU and contract with the police to allow laying off only white officers. 

OK, this is obviously a ridiculous proposal. And I am willing to see those instances not just as totally isolated singulary incidents, but in general I still have to agree with Dill on that one. This person on a city council is hardly emblematic of the whole Democratic party, and a whole city council wouldn't be. As soon as this enters the national debate constantly and some actual party bigshots start to reflect such proposals, I will concede the point willingly. As of now though, the sample size appears too small to prove a takeover of the democratic party by radicals.
And neither is the lack of pushback. The Dems try hard to appear united and not lose their focus and energy by fighting within their own ranks. Which might be a questionable approach for sure, but I feel there's not really a deeper meaning to that silence.

Such examples imho seem to be akin to calling the GOP undermined by anti-intellectualism for they have someone like Gohmert (and others) within their ranks, or by white supremacy because there's Steve King.

(07-30-2020, 01:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Ahh, so the problem is that GOP leaning voters have faulty judgment.   

Very often, yes.
To be fair though, non GOP leaning voters often have faulty judgment too. Trump is just a kind of extreme the left leaning electorate, as of now, did not resort to on a national level.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 02:57 PM)Dill Wrote: Since the vast majority of Americans favor some degree of police reform, it doesn't require special powers of prophesy to see the Democrats will be the party responding to that groundswell with policy proposals.

Most Americans Say Policing Needs 'Major Changes'
https://news.gallup.com/poll/315962/americans-say-policing-needs-major-changes.aspx

But I am predicting the Dems won't propose to turn the US into "Autonomous Occupied Zone USA." If they do, then my judgment is broken and your fears were well founded: the Dems are the left mirror-image of the Republican party.

Like you say, we'll have to wait and see.

Except the GOP platform is not that extreme.  It's honestly not much different than it has been for decades.  You're putting too much focus on Trump's behavior and demeanor.

As far as the police needing "major changes" that's the current zeitgeist, sure.  It's utterly wrong and shortsighted, but it is the current prevailing attitude.  I suppose it's better to cater to people than to do what is right.
Reply/Quote
Trump today on the rampant voter fraud because of mail in ballots:

“That’s common sense. Everyone knows it. Smart people know it. Stupid people may not know it. And some people don’t want to talk about it. But they know it.”

He also said it would be "very unfair" and make us “a laughingstock all over the world.”
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 10:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Trump today on the rampant voter fraud because of mail in ballots:

“That’s common sense. Everyone knows it. Smart people know it. Stupid people may not know it. And some people don’t want to talk about it. But they know it.”

He also said it would be "very unfair" and make us “a laughingstock all over the world.”

That horse is out of the barn. Trump just doesn’t realize it due to his advanced windmill noise cancer affecting his higher cognitive functions. Very sad.

#orangelivesmatter
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 10:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Trump today on the rampant voter fraud because of mail in ballots:

"Everyone knows it except stupid people" is a grade school level argument at best. 
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 03:16 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah that's what we thought as well. From experience in my home country - and I get that this is easily dismissable, but still - I am quite sure you're wrong on that account though. I hope I am wrong, but I'm afraid Trumpism is here to stay. Most people don't turn back to being moderate and reasonable once they went the Trump way of conspiracy and hatred. (Sure that is just my take of what Trumpism is.)

- I mean, you don't think Democrats could ever revert back from radical ideas, why would you think Trump-friendly conservatives would.

Because there aren't that many real Trump disciples in the GOP.  The party tried tooth and nail to prevent him from getting the nomination.  Once that became inevitable they made the best of the situation.  I'm honestly surprised how many people don't see this, the Trump/GOP alliance is one of convenience only and ends the minute Trump is out of the White House.  As I've pointed out several times, and no one has even attempted to refute, the GOP platform has remain largely unchanged for several decades.  The difference in the Democratic party is that this change is a grassroots one and only shows signs of growing.  One need look no further than the current protests and the Dem response to see it.

Quote:OK, this is obviously a ridiculous proposal. And I am willing to see those instances not just as totally isolated singulary incidents, but in general I still have to agree with Dill on that one. This person on a city council is hardly emblematic of the whole Democratic party, and a whole city council wouldn't be. As soon as this enters the national debate constantly and some actual party bigshots start to reflect such proposals, I will concede the point willingly. As of now though, the sample size appears too small to prove a takeover of the democratic party by radicals.
And neither is the lack of pushback. The Dems try hard to appear united and not lose their focus and energy by fighting within their own ranks. Which might be a questionable approach for sure, but I feel there's not really a deeper meaning to that silence.

Like I said, we'll see.  The entire west coast is more like this woman than the party as a whole, as you put it.  This isn't going away and it isn't going to stop.  In fact, if they win in November they will take it as a sign that this is a winning formula instead of realizing it was just trying to get rid of Trump.

Quote:Such examples imho seem to be akin to calling the GOP undermined by anti-intellectualism for they have someone like Gohmert (and others) within their ranks, or by white supremacy because there's Steve King.

On this I couldn't disagree more.  King is one man, he's like a modern day Jessie Helms.  The radical left is light years more prevalent than this.  As Bel has stated, my view on this may be skewed by living in CA, but seeing as how CA holds an enormous amount of political power I think that argument rather works against itself.  

Quote:Very often, yes.
To be fair though, non GOP leaning voters often have faulty judgment too. Trump is just a kind of extreme the left leaning electorate, as of now, did not resort to on a national level.

As I said earlier, Dill's posts in this regard eerily resemble exactly what he's attempting to argue against, a "I'm right and your wrong" and "only stupid people would think that way" sort of mentality.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 10:22 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Because there aren't that many real Trump disciples in the GOP.  The party tried tooth and nail to prevent him from getting the nomination.  Once that became inevitable they made the best of the situation.

Did they though?
Is turning all blind and deaf to all the nefarious things Trump does, says and implies, is turning into a bunch of sycophants that use congressional hearings as a platform to incoherently rant and spout wild conspiracies to divert from presidential misdeeds, that dare not speak up at the wildest of occasions, still relentlessly attack all his critics, and the media, and take over Trump's fake news narrative, have nothing to say when Barr just replaces all state attourneys that could harm Trump world, touts the Russia hoax narrative, lets convicted Trump friends off the hook; that have nothing to say when a president claims he can do whatever he wants and actually goes to court on that grounds, is all that really making the best of the situation?
My answer is no, btw. :) I really should let it go at this point, but I can't. This party now attacks Liz Cheney, a sycophant anyhow, for saying something supportive of Fauci. She is anti-Trump by praising the expert, they say, that cannot stand, you have to be 100% behind your leader who attacks said expert for saying unconvenient truths. You have to 100% support the guy that goes out there pretty much every day to spout falsehoods, false hopes, bogus medicine, distorted numbers, mindboggingly stupid claims and interpretations, to shamelessly self-praise, shamelessly slander anyone that disagrees with said lies and falsehoods about an epidemic that ravages the country. That is what the GOP does now, and that is making the best of the situation? Still no.

Aside from that strong point, I agree that I do not "blame" the GOP for the election of Trump, but those that elected him in said primaries. Which weren't that few people to begin with and are the new main power bloc within the party. And obviously they are, they got Trump elected and their votes hold the sword of Damocles over all the senators governors etc. still.

(07-31-2020, 10:22 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:   I'm honestly surprised how many people don't see this, the Trump/GOP alliance is one of convenience only and ends the minute Trump is out of the White House.  As I've pointed out several times, and no one has even attempted to refute, the GOP platform has remain largely unchanged for several decades.

What do you mean by GOP platform? Because I really feel I should refute that. And the one thing I feel you are totally underestimating is that even after Trump is gone, McConnell or whoever might just turn away on a dime at first, but the electorate is not quite that flexible. Those folks are used to their dosage of Trumpism and they won't do without it. Is what I feel, also is what I experienced. Just as a small example, who do most Trump supporters hate almost as passionately as liberals? RINOs.
This is right-wing populism, it appears, it grows, it doesn't go away. Imho, sure.

(07-31-2020, 10:22 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: On this I couldn't disagree more.  King is one man, he's like a modern day Jessie Helms.  The radical left is light years more prevalent than this.  As Bel has stated, my view on this may be skewed by living in CA, but seeing as how CA holds an enormous amount of political power I think that argument rather works against itself.  

I see your point, but still, that imho illustrates the power of perception. Sure one can say King is just one man, just as one city council member is just one woman. You rightfully say there's way more to the woman, but the same is true about "Kingism". One might think of Arpaio, of Roy Moore, maybe Jeff Sessions, maybe Stephen Miller... there are quite a few names... and last not least, maybe Donald Trump, the actual president and self declared party leader. This is not that unreasonable, to see some racist tendencies and dubious undertones (at best) with Trump that he often openly shouts to cheering crowds. You can't persuade me it's not a prevalent notion within GOP events, in some instances at least. In others, not so much, which objectively is true in both examples.
And for Gohmert, this examples carries even wider and it also includes Donald Trump, the anti-intellectual president. Imho that's one of the worst traits a party can have and I have to percieve the GOP widely as such these days. This is also "modern" and that it's a social media effect might not be that much of an exaggeration.

Are you right on the left, am I right on the right... yeah I honestly don't know. I percieve your view as one-sided is all.

(07-31-2020, 10:22 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As I said earlier, Dill's posts in this regard eerily resemble exactly what he's attempting to argue against, a "I'm right and your wrong" and "only stupid people would think that way" sort of mentality.

I have no issue with Dill, I have no issue with you, I don't see that as overly problematic and don't care either way. But since you brought that up I want to be honest enough to state that I do not percieve Dill as particualrly worse than you in that regard. I feel that, often more or less unintentionally, just at times comes with argueing and having a strong position.
Reply/Quote
Ah yes. The gaslighting begins.

"Oh no, Trump clearly isnt representative of the GOP as a whole. They were really against everything he was doing all along, but they just HAD to go along with it."

The spinning is going to be a sight to behold should Trump lose in November.
Reply/Quote
IF Biden gets elected. Does Fox News bring back the national deficit tracker on day one or day two?
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 10:22 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Because there aren't that many real Trump disciples in the GOP.  The party tried tooth and nail to prevent him from getting the nomination.  Once that became inevitable they made the best of the situation.  I'm honestly surprised how many people don't see this, the Trump/GOP alliance is one of convenience only and ends the minute Trump is out of the White House.  As I've pointed out several times, and no one has even attempted to refute, the GOP platform has remain largely unchanged for several decades.  The difference in the Democratic party is that this change is a grassroots one and only shows signs of growing.  One need look no further than the current protests and the Dem response to see

You do realize the GOP gave us Bush jr who I thought for sure would be the dumbest prez of my lifetime... damn it, the tea party who obviously represent some of the most ridiculous and embarrassing members of our government, and now they have Qmorons on some ballots.

The GOP platform may not have changed, but the actual people have and the proof is in the pudding. The fiscally Conservative party? Yea.. And the party of Lincoln flying confederate flags and going out of their way to defend the traitors.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 10:22 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As I said earlier, Dill's posts in this regard eerily resemble exactly what he's attempting to argue against, a "I'm right and your wrong" and "only stupid people would think that way" sort of mentality.

Dill is arguing against a right-wing style of politics which has developed largely with the internet over the last three decades, and which bears the bulk of responsibility for what I have elsewhere called "broken judgment"--the inability to separate science from religion, business ideology or Trumpism; the construction of expertise as liberal elites who "look down" on the rest of us; the inability recognize that the NYT and WaPo are more authoritative and accurate sources of news analysis and commentary than Fox, Rush, OAN, and especially Trump; and the dismissal of evidence-based arguments in favor of magical thinking, conspiracies, and name-calling with a concomitant embrace of authoritarian leadership which scoffs at rule of law. The result is a Trump "base" willing to take his and Putin's word over the US intel community, a base easily diverted from investigations into the president's conduct by the cry of "Russia/Ukraine/Pandemic Hoax."  Yes. I'm right, they are wrong about those "hoaxes," and about anthropogenic climate change.

Because Dill's posts have for years now been calls to recall standards of logic and norms of civic discourse and apply them to public discourse, not break down that discourse, they don't "eerily resemble exactly what he's attempting to argue against"--unless one just cannot tell the difference from the get go. That's the basis of "both sidesism."

You refute this position not by calling me "eerily like them," but by showing where they are right and I am wrong. Explain why it is "wrong" to believe Fauci's pandemic warnings and "right" to believe Trump's dismissals. Refute the charge that Trump's base embraces his authoritarian leadership. Pick any "hoax"--climate science, Ukrainian interference in the US election, Trump's credibility vs the US intel agencies. I don't think you can show where my use of evidence and logic parallels that of Alex Jones or Sean Hannity or Trump himself--i.e. what I am arguing against. You can claim it, always, with bald assertions, but you cannot show it.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 10:22 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Because there aren't that many real Trump disciples in the GOP.  The party tried tooth and nail to prevent him from getting the nomination.  Once that became inevitable they made the best of the situation.  I'm honestly surprised how many people don't see this, the Trump/GOP alliance is one of convenience only and ends the minute Trump is out of the White House.  As I've pointed out several times, and no one has even attempted to refute, the GOP platform has remain largely unchanged for several decades.  The difference in the Democratic party is that this change is a grassroots one and only shows signs of growing.  One need look no further than the current protests and the Dem response to see it.

Yes, and quickly and clearly failed--because a huge GOP base WANTED TRUMP, not only what they perceive he stands for, but his behavior, his style, his flouting of civil norms.

So why is THAT not a grassroots change? Low-energy Jeb, little Marco, lyin Ted (and his "ugly" wife), all swept away--by what, a revolution from the top? 

So what "alliance of convenience" will end when Trump is gone? There'll still be this mass of MILLIONS who want what Trump promised--the wall, the bans, the police brutality, the dismissal of diplomacy and allies, the expulsion of brown people, jailing of political opponents, and exploding liberal heads. And they'll be angrier if he loses a "rigged" election. THEY'LL be choosing whom to ally with again, right?

Why should anyone "attempt to refute" the GOP platform has remained unchanged?  Still not down with "marriage equality" and they don't even want to change it from 2016; that's how little it really means.  Are you trying to argue that platform is some kind of ballast which will right the party when Trump is gone?

But no--the Dem party is the one driven by a grassroots revolution in your view, the one that picked a moderate, "safe" presidential candidate, who promises a return to normalcy and stability, to actual governance. Don't look at the behavior of MILLIONS of Dem voters nationwide. "Look at Portland" as Trump tells us. That will be Biden's American.

No sign at all that the ongoing the disaster of Trumpism troubles you, but sharing Trump's fear of "the left," you embrace his prognosis for "Biden's America."
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 02:54 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Ah yes. The gaslighting begins.

"Oh no, Trump clearly isnt representative of the GOP as a whole. They were really against everything he was doing all along, but they just HAD to go along with it."

I totally disagree about Trumpism dying with Trump, anyway.  His supporters, even the garden variety are hardcore.  They are all about the personality cult and all that comes with it.  Any moderate or classic Republican that expects this authoritarian populism to die with DJT's elimination from office isn't paying attention.  

If the Party itself tries to disown Trumpism, Trumpism will most definitely turn on the Party.  The man himself will run his mouth on twitter about anything and everything they do to distance themselves, and the faithful will devour it.  He can turn his QAnon morons against anyone he wants, and if the GOP thinks they are safe, then they haven't been watching.  If Biden wins, they won't see it as Trump being too Trumpy. They'll see it as him being restrained by party elders and not Trumpy enough.  

A Biden win will devastate the GOP, and not because of anything Dems do.  It will lead to internal war within the party between populist clowns like Gym Jordan, Frat Gaetz, and Rona Gohmert and old heads like Graham, Mitch and the others.  

As for the heir to Trumpism, I see it being Tom Cotton.  He's a less moronic, younger, and more respectable authoritarian populist.  Trump's kids are not a possiblity, IMO because at their cores they don't bring a lot to the table other than a name.  They aren't as stupid or insane as dad, although they might be just as sadistic and entitled.  Eric is, well, Eric.  Don Jr is the living embodiment of an arrogant-for-no reason heir.  Ivanka is probably the best of the bunch, but she's still way out of her depth at this level.  I think she has a desire to be liked, and is not suited to enduring a political campaign as it's center.  Dad doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks, and that's his greatest strength.  I don't think the kids share that trait.  Pence is bland and has no shot unless the Dems end up in a Trump-style disaster with whatever candidate they'd run against him.  He's basically a walking stereotype of what people who who regard the Christian radical right with disdain regard them with disdain for.  
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 02:54 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Ah yes. The gaslighting begins.

This is essentially why the Democrats went forward with the impeachment even though they knew he would never be removed.

They wanted the Republicans' votes cemented in record. That, given the chance to rid themselves of him, the Republicans declined.

They are in for a pound with Trump and everyone knows it.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 09:58 PM)samhain Wrote: I totally disagree about Trumpism dying with Trump, anyway.  His supporters, even the garden variety are hardcore.  They are all about the personality cult and all that comes with it.  Any moderate or classic Republican that expects this authoritarian populism to die with DJT's elimination from office isn't paying attention.  

If the Party itself tries to disown Trumpism, Trumpism will most definitely turn on the Party.  The man himself will run his mouth on twitter about anything and everything they do to distance themselves, and the faithful will devour it.  He can turn his QAnon morons against anyone he wants, and if the GOP thinks they are safe, then they haven't been watching.  If Biden wins, they won't see it as Trump being too Trumpy. They'll see it as him being restrained by party elders and not Trumpy enough.  

A Biden win will devastate the GOP, and not because of anything Dems do.  It will lead to internal war within the party between populist clowns like Gym Jordan, Frat Gaetz, and Rona Gohmert and old heads like Graham, Mitch and the others.  

As for the heir to Trumpism, I see it being Tom Cotton.  He's a less moronic, younger, and more respectable authoritarian populist.  Trump's kids are not a possiblity, IMO because at their cores they don't bring a lot to the table other than a name.  They aren't as stupid or insane as dad, although they might be just as sadistic and entitled.  Eric is, well, Eric.  Don Jr is the living embodiment of an arrogant-for-no reason heir.  Ivanka is probably the best of the bunch, but she's still way out of her depth at this level.  I think she has a desire to be liked, and is not suited to enduring a political campaign as it's center.  Dad doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks, and that's his greatest strength.  I don't think the kids share that trait.  Pence is bland and has no shot unless the Dems end up in a Trump-style disaster with whatever candidate they'd run against him.  He's basically a walking stereotype of what people who who regard the Christian radical right with disdain regard them with disdain for.  

You don't think Trump gives a shit what anybody thinks? The man lives for numbers, ratings, and affirmation. Literally all he does is care what people think.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 10:56 PM)jason Wrote: You don't think Trump gives a shit what anybody thinks? The man lives for numbers, ratings, and affirmation. Literally all he does is care what people think.

He surely cares what his base thinks, but he also just happens to dictate their every thought, so it works out well.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 11:15 PM)samhain Wrote: He surely cares what his base thinks, but he also just happens to dictate their every thought, so it works out well.

He responds to literally every slight; perceived or real as well. He cares what people think. We can't say for sure why that is, and we both have are hunches as to why. You're right though... He doesn't care about a lot of things. He's like a teenage girl. He cares what people think about him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 09:58 PM)samhain Wrote: I totally disagree about Trumpism dying with Trump, anyway.  His supporters, even the garden variety are hardcore.  They are all about the personality cult and all that comes with it.  Any moderate or classic Republican that expects this authoritarian populism to die with DJT's elimination from office isn't paying attention.  

Yes to all this. 
I would only add that the internal war began before Trump was elected, with the Never Trump movement. It will increase as Trump increasingly mishandles the "Chinese virus" and civil unrest.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 12:00 AM)jason Wrote:
He responds to literally every slight; perceived or real as well.
He cares what people think. We can't say for sure why that is, and we both have are hunches as to why. You're right though... He doesn't care about a lot of things. He's like a teenage girl. He cares what people think about him.

And that is very worrisome. It makes him easy to play by foreign adversaries.

He doesn't care what ALL people think, but he wants to have a rep, a "power" brand, like Putin and Xi. So he cannot appear "weak."

That means people who challenge his knowledge or pose tough questions quickly unsettle him--and he feels weak and threatened then. He can only control the situation by lashing out ("You know NOTHING about my energy!") or walking out of the room, or keeping Fauci types off the same stage.

I think his niece laid it out pretty well in her interviews with Maddow and Cuomo.
Reply/Quote