Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 NFL Combine
(03-03-2023, 10:37 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I....I have added another Purdue player to study....Cory Trice 6'3" 4.47 speed. Gridiron Grading on twitter has him as a top 10 prospect. Not sure how they do their grading so want to watch him myself.

Bumping this. 

Purdue had their Pro Day today. Between Pro Day and Combine, dude has a 9.89 RAS.

Agility scores were ELITE with that size. Sign me up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 10:31 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Bumping this. 

Purdue had their Pro Day today. Between Pro Day and Combine, dude has a 9.89 RAS.

Agility scores were ELITE with that size. Sign me up.

Nice on Trice WVUHomer. Where is Cory Trice projected?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 05:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I didn't get to watch much of it either, too busy. Mauch is who you are talking about 3wt?

Cody Mauch  - Offensive Tackle for North Dakota State - Volson's team mate.   Short arms, but a player.  Looked good at least at the beginning of Senior Bowl practices.

Drew Boylhart from the Huddle Report writes this:
by Drew Boylhart • January 9, 2023

STRENGTHS
Cody is the type of offensive lineman that doesn’t stop blocking until he hears the whistle. He’s big and strong and has the quick feet that all offensive linemen need, to play multiple positions on the offensive line. Cody shows leadership skills through his play on the field. He is unique in that he never stops moving his feet off the snap of the ball. Cody has excellent overall athletic talent and although he is still learning the Left Tackle position he is better than half the Left Tackles in the NFL right now. He is smart and understands that he needs to marry his athleticism to the Techniques of his position, and not just rely on athleticism alone. He has the athleticism to be used as a pulling guard or tackle and gets to the second level with ease and quickness that most offensive linemen do not possess. Cody has the potential to be a franchise Left Tackle, Left Guard, or Right Tackle for the team that selects him.
CONCERNS
Cody is aggressive and penalties might a problem at first but he will adjust, just give him some time. Some teams will be wary that Cody played for North Dakota State and not for an SEC team and will downgrade him for that reason. That being said, the Senior Bowl will be big for Cody to impress those teams who don’t believe that he can be considered as an early pick, in this draft.
BOTTOM LINE: 1.50
Cody has the talent to be as good a Left Tackle as Jason Peters and as good a Right Tackle as Lane Johnson. He shows on film, respect for learning the correct Techniques of his position like former Browns LT Joe Thomas. How do I know this? I have seen his quick technique progression, on film, from when he used to play Tight End. I have seen him keep his feet and stay on his blocks 20 yards down the field. I don’t care what level you play at, that’s impressive. Cody could be a special offensive lineman but…if you want to nitpick yourself from selecting him early, be my guest just remember, I told you so. Remember my rule, when you see the obvious, you draft the obvious.

I pictured him as an upgrade at left guard.   Everyone says he does an amazing job pulling and has really good technique.

He seems to be projected at the top of the 2nd round.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 05:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I didn't get to watch much of it either, too busy. Mauch is who you are talking about 3wt?

LOL I misconstrued your question and missed my own spelling screwup.    Yes.  That's who I was talking about.Tongue
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 05:54 PM)3wt Wrote: Cody Mauch  - Offensive Tackle for North Dakota State - Volson's team mate.   Short arms, but a player.  Looked good at least at the beginning of Senior Bowl practices.

STRENGTHS
Cody is the type of offensive lineman that doesn’t stop blocking until he hears the whistle. He’s big and strong and has the quick feet that all offensive linemen need, to play multiple positions on the offensive line. Cody shows leadership skills through his play on the field. He is unique in that he never stops moving his feet off the snap of the ball. Cody has excellent overall athletic talent and although he is still learning the Left Tackle position he is better than half the Left Tackles in the NFL right now. He is smart and understands that he needs to marry his athleticism to the Techniques of his position, and not just rely on athleticism alone. He has the athleticism to be used as a pulling guard or tackle and gets to the second level with ease and quickness that most offensive linemen do not possess. Cody has the potential to be a franchise Left Tackle, Left Guard, or Right Tackle for the team that selects him.
CONCERNS
Cody is aggressive and penalties might a problem at first but he will adjust, just give him some time. Some teams will be wary that Cody played for North Dakota State and not for an SEC team and will downgrade him for that reason. That being said, the Senior Bowl will be big for Cody to impress those teams who don’t believe that he can be considered as an early pick, in this draft.
Cody has the talent to be as good a Left Tackle as Jason Peters and as good a Right Tackle as Lane Johnson. He shows on film, respect for learning the correct Techniques of his position like former Browns LT Joe Thomas. How do I know this? I have seen his quick technique progression, on film, from when he used to play Tight End. I have seen him keep his feet and stay on his blocks 20 yards down the field. I don’t care what level you play at, that’s impressive. Cody could be a special offensive lineman but…if you want to nitpick yourself from selecting him early, be my guest just remember, I told you so. Remember my rule, when you see the obvious, you draft the obvious.

I pictured him as an upgrade at left guard.   Everyone says he does an amazing job pulling and has really good technique.

Why guard? Not all guys that can play OT can play OG. Jackson Carman is a prime example. If you took Mauch why would you not play him at OT? I like him and his demeanor when it comes to blocking. My real concern in watching tape on him is he regularly has his hands outside of the shoulder pads of the defender. This could draw many flags at the NFL level. He really needs to work on his hand placement but I love his grit.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 04:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice on Trice WVUHomer. Where is Cory Trice projected?

I think right now he's projected day 3. Haven't heard of him until the combine. Doesnt look like he plays weak but I haven't studied him too much so was hoping we would have some Big 10 fans who have seen a game or two.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 09:29 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Why guard? Not all guys that can play OT can play OG. Jackson Carman is a prime example. If you took Mauch why would you not play him at OT? I like him and his demeanor when it comes to blocking. My real concern in watching tape on him is he regularly has his hands outside of the shoulder pads of the defender. This could draw many flags at the NFL level. He really needs to work on his hand placement but I love his grit.

Good point OSU  -  and I appreciate your direct observations - which I don't really do.   And tackle is what we need most.

Boylhart clearly thinks he's a tackle, and talks about the same type of thing you're talking about.  Those are things that I believe he could be coached to do right.  So there are just a lot of things people are saying that have my attention (other than the short arms which scare me):
  • good lateral movement
  • ability to get to the 2nd level quickly
  • ability to have sustained engagement with adversaries
  • warrior mentality
  • smart
These are all really good predictors of a successful pro bowl type lineman.

I don't think he'll be there for us in the 2nd round.   My dream would be to either take Wright or Harrison in the first round and Mauch in the 2nd.   But I think we'll have to choose between one of those 3 in the first round... or Kancey who I think may be the next Donald - IF he's there at 28.

I just remember drooling over Geno Atkins in my old Drug Store List draft guide and being amazed he lasted till the 4th round.  Jones had him targeted for the 3rd.

OK I'm rambling now.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 05:54 PM)3wt Wrote: Cody Mauch  - Offensive Tackle for North Dakota State - Volson's team mate.   Short arms, but a player.  Looked good at least at the beginning of Senior Bowl practices.

STRENGTHS
CONCERNS

(03-10-2023, 05:56 PM)3wt Wrote: LOL I misconstrued your question and missed my own spelling screwup.    Yes.  That's who I was talking about.Tongue

Figured. Yeah, Mauch could be a good one as long as he learns to keep those hands inside the Defender like OSUfan said. Also 
agree with OSUfan that he is a Tackle which is what we need anyways. Would be for Mauch in the 3rd as that is where I see him
taken, being Volson's old teammate is cool too. The NDST OL coach must be a good one to be putting out OL like this.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 12:10 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: I think right now he's projected day 3. Haven't heard of him until the combine. Doesnt look like he plays weak but I haven't studied him too much so was hoping we would have some Big 10 fans who have seen a game or two.

I don't think I saw a Purdue game last year so yeah, I also know nothing about Trice. Sure has nice size and speed and is clearly 
an athletic freak. Might be a steal late as long as he can run decent routes and has decent hands.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 05:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't think I saw a Purdue game last year so yeah, I also know nothing about Trice. Sure has nice size and speed and is clearly 
an athletic freak. Might be a steal late as long as he can run decent routes and has decent hands.

Run routes Nate? He's a DB. If you meant break on routes, agreed.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 06:40 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Run routes Nate? He's a DB. If you meant break on routes, agreed.

You didn't list what position.  Hilarious

I assumed WR with that size ha ha

Yeah, that is a big, fast DB alright.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 06:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You didn't list what position.  Hilarious

I assumed WR with that size ha ha

Yeah, that is a big, fast DB alright.

Ha Nate, sorry. Figured it was apparent with it being a DB thread.

Edit, just realized this was posted in the not DB thread. Mass apologies.
Reply/Quote
So many interior derensive lineman are coming in so fast i do not see how the NFL avoids a shift to running QBs. Some d lines are gonna be trotting out rush packages where everyone rushing runs at least a 4.5. That’s insane
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 01:09 AM)Housh Wrote: So many interior derensive lineman are coming in so fast i do not see how the NFL avoids a shift to running QBs. Some d lines are gonna be trotting out rush packages where everyone rushing runs at least a 4.5. That’s insane

The way our defense plays Nolan Smith at LB moving around coming from anywhere is a really appealing concept. And could really give us some juice
Reply/Quote
Nolan Smith could end up being a Micah Parsons type - their play style is similar. The knock on Smith was low production and size - if you watch his tape he plays very smart (i.e. redirects offensive lineman, collapses the pocket) but doesn't show a lot of strength. I'm not sure we use that type of player very much on our defense - I think he would be most dangerous blitzing from an ILB position. Take that for what you will.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 09:10 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Ha Nate, sorry. Figured it was apparent with it being a DB thread.

Edit, just realized this was posted in the not DB thread. Mass apologies.

It's all good WVUHomer.

Would like Trice in the mid rounds, would be awesome to have that length especially if we don't bring back Trey Flowers.
Reply/Quote