Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A Proposal
(10-15-2019, 01:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. Plus, the board needs me now more than ever to lead them through this 90's like era.

Good thing we have that ignore feature.  We do still have that I hope.  Never considered using it before.  Lead on sunshine.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-15-2019, 04:17 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Good thing we have that ignore feature.  We do still have that I hope.  Never considered using it before.  Lead on sunshine.

Yeah...how dare anyone talk about how bad a team that has 1 win in their past 14 games is playing.

Gotta only focus on the positives, right?
(10-15-2019, 04:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...how dare anyone talk about how bad a team that has 1 win in their past 14 games is playing.

Gotta only focus on the positives, right?

No.  I think we should talk about both the positive and the negative.

Do you have a problem with that?
(10-15-2019, 08:03 AM)PDub80 Wrote: In general, the defense has done a really good job given the circumstances of the games and how they've played out.

"a really good job"

LMAO 

Yes, they have looked as good as a team can look while giving away leads in the final seconds and ranking dead last in every rushing category (yards, avg, tds); 31st in overall yards per play; 30th in sacks, and 27th in passer rating (105.1).  Other than those little details they have been doing a "really good job".

Shout out to the "realist". Yes
It seems that the same ones who only bring up the positives don't want the ones who see the negatives have the chance to give their opinions. That is what they are is opinions. Doubt there would be any discussion at all if we all agreed on everything.
(10-14-2019, 09:13 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Maybe there are 2 types of fans, the optimistic and the realistic fans. 

I remember a certain "realist" in the gameday thread who said Dalton would throw a pick in the end zone at the end of the Cardinals game.  Know who I am talking about Reuben?  His comments had nothing to do with reality.

For a few years there were a lot of "realists" who were proven wrong when they said the Bengals would not make the playoffs.

There is nothing "realistic" about saying nothing good will ever happen.  

So there are "optimists" and "pessimists", and neither side has a monopoly on reality.
I haven't heard anyone saying to ignore the issues or to only post positive things. But there is a big difference between posting about the negative aspects of this team and season and the TONE of said posts. When we see posts making personal attacks on players ands front office people and indeed other members of this forum it starts to make the place toxic. That was part of what made the old Bengals.com forum toxic and it is happening here too.

As to the defense, it is frankly awful. And no it cannot be attributed to the offense struggling because the defense is having these issues early in games - before a TOP difference could possibly be tiring them out. Not to mention they are allowing opponents a ridiculous 46% third down conversion ratio.
(10-15-2019, 05:38 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: It seems that the same ones who only bring up the positives don't want the ones who see the negatives have the chance to give their opinions. 

First, there is not a single person here who only brings up the positive.

Second, I have no problem with fans bringing up something negative.  I just have a problem with them.  .  .  

- starting five threads that say the same thing.

- starting a thread six months before the 2020 draft to squeal and whine about the 2020 draft.

- making up lies and/or going through complex mental gymnastics in order to make the Bengals sound worse than they are.

Basically it is okay to talk about negative stuff just no need to go over the top.
(10-15-2019, 09:49 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'll get back to everyone who has posted in my own way, so don't think I'm ignoring any of you Wink

It was Thanksgiving this weekend and my wife and I also went for a nice drive around the perimeter of Lake Simcoe (Ontario's largest non-great lake), so I've been away from the computer or my phone for a couple of days.

Johnny come-lately; you're not worth my time, nor can you appreciate what many of us have contributed to the board, outside of posting, etc.

Not critical; nasty and hateful/spiteful, plus dragging others through the mud because someone DOES see something positive.

That's not fun either.

And you guys absolutely hit the nail on the head.

2010 was an absolutely dreadful year (10 straight losses after going 2-1? Remember that? With a team that on paper, was far and away the best in the league, coming off of a good 2009?) and that was on a board where we had fully-entrenched and assholeish trolls like Mulligan, the Adam guy and his 50 personas, the wrestling guy (that constantly challenged Denny) etc., not to mention JoeFlo, who never had a SHRED of positivity, outside of Klotsch; not once did the board EVER descend into the crap that has been going on here for the past 3 weeks and there was never any divisiveness amongst the entire board; only the trolls mentioned above (and Joe), truly made it miserable to have a conversation with someone.

That year was one shitty week after another (not to mention, week 13 of that year, I was diagnosed with cancer, so that just made things EVEN more miserable), but I could always come home to the boards and still talk about Whitworth's awesome TD catch against the Stoolers or how he dominated that year (his second best year ever as a Bengal {not sure about Rams years}, pressures-wise and run blocking-wise), having the young guys on the dline do well after Tank Johnson and Odom had miserable years compared to 2009, the list goes on.

I want the Bengals to win and I couldn't care less about draft position, because unless they trade down, the Bengals have always stuck to their guns drafting and there is no outright need above any other this year, outside of oline and LB. Period.

You don't need 1st overall to get a cornerstone RT or LB, nowadays (or even 20 years ago).

Absolutely; we all (well, most of us) live in North America and free speech is something we instituted for the entire world (well, you guys instituted it, we just promote it to death up here lol); to rob everyone's right to speech is a massive no-no, but there has to be some sort of decorum and respect (in b4, "MB doesn't respect the fans, wahh!!!)" and that has left the past few weeks (nobody's fault either).

Furthermore, I just feel that getting angry over something you can't control worth a shit, is hilarious and SUCH a waste of time and effort.

MB aint changing a damn thing for any of you cross folks; he doesn't care and he will continue to do what he wants until he's dead or relinquishes control. No amount of hate will speed that up either.

Gladly. I'm a man of my word.

It is OK for both of you to come to a truce and work out your differences IN THE FORUM.

I get your frustration, I hate personal attacks on coaches, players and the FO. I hate them on each other. I understand how during game dead emotional threads dumb things are said. But, I would hope days later we can all take rationally, but right now that is not happening.

We are all frustrated with losing, but we are all (majority) here because we love this team. I hope you both reconsider, the forum loses if we lose either one of you. It took me a a long time, but I finally learned it is not only OK, but good to walk away from a fight. My experience was in the end, noone won no matter how bloody it ended.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Really as a fan, all we've seen are a few personal performances that stand out.

Otherwise as units, both sides of the ball look terrible.

Playcalling has been atrocious at times as well.

Kind of hard to be "all rosey" about the current condition of the team.

Coaching was the hope that might have overcome a terrible Free Agency.

That hasn't happened so the proverbial ship of hope has kind of sunk.

Not to mention a draft that hasn't really produced much in filling holes.

I didn't have high expectations going into the season but with a new coaching staff/schemes I felt it could bring positives.

That has all since faded and I have no problem whatsoever someone criticizing the team and it's decisions.

There are many threads on these boards and ignore features to block those who you deem as toxic.

That's your choice.  You can do this without making bets and being all dramatic about your feelings.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
(10-15-2019, 05:38 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: It seems that the same ones who only bring up the positives don't want the ones who see the negatives have the chance to give their opinions. That is what they are is opinions. Doubt there would be any discussion at all if we all agreed on everything.

This team sucks.  And I have expressed my feelings about that several times.  And I don't care if people want to point out the negatives.  But SOME are making the board less enjoyable with the constant crap, over and over.  And your first sentence can go both ways.  
(10-15-2019, 06:48 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: This team sucks.  And I have expressed my feelings about that several times.  And I don't care if people want to point out the negatives.  But SOME are making the board less enjoyable with the constant crap, over and over.  And your first sentence can go both ways.  

We've started 0-5 7 times since 1990. 7!

This is a pattern. Same owner/GM all 7 times!
(10-15-2019, 07:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've started 0-5 7 times since 1990. 7!

This is a pattern. Same owner/GM all 7 times!

That's all true, but I don't really see anyone trying to make the case that Mike Brown is a great owner or GM. 
(10-15-2019, 07:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's all true, but I don't really see anyone trying to make the case that Mike Brown is a great owner or GM. 

I don't know where that comment he made came from?  I've hated MB, and blamed him for most of our problems for a long time.  It's getting senseless now.
(10-15-2019, 07:41 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I don't know where that comment he made came from?  I've hated MB, and blamed him for most of our problems for a long time.  It's getting senseless now.

Yeah, stating that Mike Brown is a bad owner/GM is like someone having an ugly spouse. They are already painfully aware of that fact, so they don't really need the neighbors pointing it out on a daily basis.   Mellow
Lot's of great (and not so great) post's in this thread. I agree with many of the issues some have mentioned. However, losing members over a bet on support for the team is not going to solve anything. The block feature is still in place and if certain individuals cause anyone to receive less enjoyment from your board experience, then please use it. Hopefully you both can call off the bet because this is not the way to go about it. It's a very frustrating season for all of us. Heck, I'm a homer and even I'm starting to get a little negative.

Some people are emotionally invested with this team. It's ok to read negativity, but most will admit sometimes it goes too far. Plus, it reads like a kid on the playground screaming "na na na na na na." Someone mentioned that some take it personally and they may be right? But I have to force myself to understand the other side as they've invested a lot too. Venting is the only way to keep their sanity intact watching this poor rendition of the titanic.

I think the ignore/block feature is the correct thing to make both sides happy. For those who do not know how to use it? Simply click on the users name you would like to ignore and it will take you to their profile. On the right side under their friends list there will be a tab to ignore user. Just click it and feel the bliss.

(10-13-2019, 07:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I've kept off the boards for around 2 weeks or so (well, posting on JN, anyways; just checked in to see the injury news) and just seeing the first hour and a bit since the end of the game, I don't know if I will post this week either.

thebengalsboard.com has become an insanely, "un-fun," and toxic place to be, the past 4 weeks or so and me personally, I don't wish to be a part of it; we are fans of this team, we should root for them to win at any cost. After all, the entire point of sports is to win, right?

I mean, we gave up a ****ton of yards today, sure and ultimately, lost the game. Yet, our horridly out-of place backup OG, played a damn good game at LT in pass pro, we continued to shut the Ravens down in the Red Zone (1 of 4 drives, was it? that they got TDs) and Tate looked superb, not to mention we played a great team on teams.

Not to mention as well (of course, no one has mentioned it or anything), there were *2* fumbles that weren't called on the field (both should've been challenged, that's on ZT), that would've taken off 10 points and almost 90 yards off as well. AND Boyd caught the ball, fumbled before going OB (WITH NO WHISTLE EITHER; it was only blown after Erickson picked it up and then the incomplete signal was given), which would've been a TD (Erickson scooped it and was gone). Canady holds Tate's shoulder clearly, EVEN REVIEW IT and see it is blatant, still no call. Does it again on Erickson, still no call.

No matter how shittily we play, if we still have a chance late, it is beyond infuriating when refs continually **** us over or do things that go against us.

So to see people spewing hate and vitriol, poisonous words and nasty shit towards the team we are FANS of, it just disheartens me to death and quite frankly, pisses me the **** off; you people must have REALLY miserable and terrible lives, when fights are picked and hate has to be spewed behind your computer.

Anyways, if I'm the only person who feels this way, then I guess I'm the only loser on the planet with this attitude, but in an effort to make this place more tolerable and actually a fun community again, I propose a bet; a retirement/I quit/whatever you want to call it, bet.

I should've been more bold and done it this week (when I originally thought about it), but I held back on Wednesday or so. Anyways:

If the Bengals lose next week (since a bunch of the goons on here want that: you know who you are), I will leave the boards forever and quite frankly, I will be thrilled not to read constant shitposts and the sarcastic snark that has made up the majority of posts the last few weeks.

If the Bengals win next week (since I appear to be one of the few on here who actually wants to see that), I stick around and anyone who wants in on this bet, has to leave the boards forever. It would be nice to root for this team to win again, as we should.

And before you talk about, "better draft pick," whether we have the first or 31st pick, a QB won't help, so no, it won't help to tank.

Since I have people posting days after my last post, being sarcastic and taking the piss out of me (again, you know who you are), I would LOVE for you guys to be in on this bet, but I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.

I am proposing this, in an effort to make this place just a bit less crappy and a bit more positive again, as I feel I contribute positively, more often than not (yes, I realise the paradoxical posting of a quite negative post, after writing that I try to be positive).

I've contributed to this board (mothership too) since 2009, I have donated money to help out this board as much as I possibly (so have many of you, I know) can, so I don't want to see it continue to be the depress-fest that it has become; I know that even if we win next week, people will still take the piss out of the team, but whatever; I can only do what I can do.

So, any takers? Let's get a bit exciting for once this year, instead of being angry and gloomy.

Truck, you are great man, the best. :andy:
(10-15-2019, 09:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Truck, you are great man, the best. :andy:

I wish we could talk him into calling off the bet.  Hate to lose a great member.  
(10-15-2019, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "a really good job"

LMAO 

Yes, they have looked as good as a team can look while giving away leads in the final seconds and ranking dead last in every rushing category (yards, avg, tds); 31st in overall yards per play; 30th in sacks, and 27th in passer rating (105.1).  Other than those little details they have been doing a "really good job".

Shout out to the "realist". Yes

The rushing stats are because the offense can't hardly get a lead, Fred. Certainly not a lead big enough to force the other team to be as one dimensional as the Bengals on offense. 

Scouting by a box score.... #itshowmikebrowndoesit

Try watching the games.
(10-15-2019, 09:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Lot's of great (and not so great) post's in this thread. I agree with many of the issues some have mentioned. However, losing members over a bet on support for the team is not going to solve anything. The block feature is still in place and if certain individuals cause anyone to receive less enjoyment from your board experience, then please use it. Hopefully you both can call off the bet because this is not the way to go about it. It's a very frustrating season for all of us. Heck, I'm a homer and even I'm starting to get a little negative.

Some people are emotionally invested with this team. It's ok to read negativity, but most will admit sometimes it goes too far. Plus, it reads like a kid on the playground screaming "na na na na na na." Someone mentioned that some take it personally and they may be right?  But I have to force myself to understand the other side as they've invested a lot too. Venting is the only way to keep their sanity intact watching this poor rendition of the titanic.

I think the ignore/block feature is the correct thing to make both sides happy.  For those who do not know how to use it? Simply click on the users name you would like to ignore and it will take you to their profile. On the right side under their friends list there will be a tab to ignore user. Just click it and feel the bliss.

Ignoring someone: 2019's way to debate. Everyone wants to be heard, but no one wants to actually listen.