Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AD Benched. Finley to Start
So many Dalton fans here, he has won zero playoff games. Throughout his whole career, except 1 year, he rarely shows/showed the propensity to take a game over. He is a good backup QB on every other team, but ours, apparently before now. We're 0-8. We aren't getting to a playoff birth in the next years (plural), and winning record is questionable. As far as we can tell, he is not a vocal leader either. 4 weeks ago during the Steelers game, a few announcers noted it was probably Dalton's last year in Cincy and how little fire he showed while they were getting blasted by the 3rd string QB. He's accepted losing. They said he couldn't even "fake" the fire since it was a prime time game. He's "allowed" to show no energy or fight and "hide in a 1PM game.", but not prime time.

Stop being happy with extreme mediocrity. It's not good enough to make the playoffs or "win a playoff game". There is only 1 goal and the Bengals don't even have baby steps towards it.

that said, Finley has to win 1 game in 8 to be "better". I think it will happen. We can reminisce 10 years from now about Andy Dalton and the wasted time/opportunity, whatever teams actually want an Andy Dalton will be as a backup. Name another NFL team that wants him as a starter that can reasonably win a superbowl.

We need a QB who will take the ***** game over.

When you lose games, someone has to take responsibility. People get fired, people should get traded, etc. Other teams have demoted their QBs, fired their offensive coordinators, fired their coaches for way less than the BS we put up with.

I don't feel bad for Andy. He's a good guy, he's had an NFL career, he has way more money than most or all of us, a gorgeous wife and children. It all comes to an end at some point. Maybe he hit his potential on this trash team, he probably did. I think nobody is afraid of Andy Dalton at the end of a game, that is one trait we need in our QB, "we gave them the ball back with a minute left, shit". 2015 is long gone. One thing this team has been bad at is taking too long to make changes (or in some existing cases, never making them at all). Jeremy Hill, Mike Nugent, Marvin Lewis, Andy.

Tough to be a fan of this team when Mike Brown is still alive, feels like what prison might be like.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you look at the video, Dalton had to throw the ball about 48 yards through the air just to get it to Erickson there.

The problem on that play was that because the OL immediately got pushed back 7 yards from the LoS, Dalton is throwing that ball from 8 yards behind the LoS. Closer to the LoS, and it'd still have enough on it for the TD. 

- - - - - - -

Every QB throws from behind the LOS. Most all sacks are seven yards so that means Dalton is where he was supposed to be when making that throw. Also if the throw was almost fifty yards then he should have had five seconds to get the ball where it needed to be. Being a Dalton enabler will soon be a thing of the past. 
Reply/Quote
“The ball had to travel 55 yards through the air “
Reply/Quote
I argued with several of you for years that Dalton wasn't the answer. Well now we all know this to be a fact.

Unfortunately it should have been done years ago but we wasted several years with highly talented rosters with a mediocre QB. Let's hope they hit on QB in round 1.
Reply/Quote
All for the Finley Switch, but to sacrifice better draft picks for a 8 week “evaluation period” is beyond stupid........ yet, standard for this franchise. Keeping Green here will make zero difference while this O-Line is straight garbage.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 08:39 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: All for the Finley Switch, but to sacrifice better draft picks for a 8 week “evaluation period” is beyond stupid........ yet, standard for this franchise. Keeping Green here will make zero difference while this O-Line is straight garbage.

No chance for the playoffs. We know Dalton isn't the answer. We need an option at QB. Can't determine where we are with Finley until he gets some game experience. If he succeeds where Dalton failed then that may determine who we draft. If he fails we know we need to take a QB with the first pick. This "evaluation period " is critical for the future.
Reply/Quote
Dalton is a good until QB until he is forced to extend
A play or go off script.
If the play breaks down he breaks down mentally.
Then his mechanics get bad.
Reply/Quote
This move was designed with one goal: Drafting Tua Tagovailoa.
Reply/Quote
What's ironic is ZT conformed this offense to Daltons strengths
And well you see what happened.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 10:39 AM)impactplaya Wrote: What's ironic is ZT conformed this offense to Daltons strengths
And well you see what happened.

It feels like we ran the same 10-12 plays over and over and over on offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 08:54 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I am sorry but I don't care if you put the holy ghost behind this line. That person is going to be mentally broken in 4 games. Dalton should have told MB to go pound salt at his last contract as his stupidity at running a team ruined him with the lack of support. The same thing will happen again if they dont change their ways.

I thought it was pretty telling when AD said he wished he had held the ball a tick longer on the missed double move for a TD....he felt he had to get rid of the ball and it affected the timing, obviously. After watching film, he had the time. He's feeling pressure that isn't there. It's mental at this point.  As Nately has mentioned, you gotta kinda feel for the guy that took a team friendly deal only to watch the FO squander the money saved.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 11:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm beyond fine with something different, but I also realize that Finley being ZT's guy isn't exactly something that bodes well when you consider how hard everyone else he endorsed has flopped.  So far this year we've gone all-in on replacing a lot of people who were average and stale with young guys who were in way over their heads....I don't see how Finley is going to be the single case that is going to work, but it should be interesting.

Our coaching staff is inexperienced and in way over their heads and we are 0-8 so tossing an inexperienced 4th round rookie QB into the fire shouldn't theoretically work.  I think I can be optimistic about it while simultaneously pointing out that tossing a rookie late round pick QB into a lousy situation is straight outta the Cleveland Browns' playbook.

Oof!

One thing he's got going for him is that he played QB at NCSt. Not too shabby of a list of alumni QBs....  Cool

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 10:38 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This move was designed with one goal: Drafting Tua Tagovailoa.

Barring a total meltdown the rest of the way I think Burrow is the #1 QB if this draft.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 10:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Barring a total meltdown the rest of the way I think Burrow is the #1 QB if this draft.

That's my current pick, of course, last season at this time, it was Lawrence, so...... Smirk

Reply/Quote
I can't help but wonder: what is Bengalitis going to post in the GameDay thread NOW? Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 10:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Barring a total meltdown the rest of the way I think Burrow is the #1 QB if this draft.

The best all-around QB in this draft is Justin Herbert. 

But he's going top 5. Burrow may be available later in the first or possibly the 2nd. He's not going to blow the combines away and he's somewhat of a system QB this year. 

Would be perfect if we could get Chase Young or an OL mauler in the top 5 then get a Burrow-type in the 2nd. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
When Chad Pennington is your best case...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:52 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: The best all-around QB in this draft is Justin Herbert. 

But he's going top 5. Burrow may be available later in the first or possibly the 2nd. He's not going to blow the combines away and he's somewhat of a system QB this year. 

Would be perfect if we could get Chase Young or an OL mauler in the top 5 then get a Burrow-type in the 2nd. 

Dude...we'll mess whatever we do up. No matter how good it seems at the time...it will go south.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:52 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: The best all-around QB in this draft is Justin Herbert. 

Everytime I've seen Herbert play all I can hear myself say is Blake Bortles.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Everytime I've seen Herbert play all I can hear myself say is Blake Bortles.

I've seen him compared to Wentz.
Reply/Quote