Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
AJ Green
I might get blasted for this, but to me AJ Green is a better version of Marques Colston.

Colston has always been a steady, reliable receiver. He has had some huge games with Brees, he also disappears sometimes. Colston doesn't get nearly the publicity because of his draft status (7th round draft pick), but the guy has played for 9+ seasons, recording six 1,000 yard seasons along the way.

To me, these guys are very similar. I have seen Colston make unbelievable plays, and also make unbelievable mistakes. Brees and Colston won a super bowl however, so there is some hope in that.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why do you think anyone would blast you for saying that Green is better than Colston?

Colston gets a lot of disrespect, at least from what I have seen. Some might see it as a comparison to a 'weak' player. Not you tho Fred, not you.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 02:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Colston gets a lot of disrespect, at least from what I have seen. Some might see it as a comparison to a 'weak' player. Not you tho Fred, not you.

That's like comparing Dalton to Phil Simms. Nothing weak about it at all.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 02:50 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: To me, these guys are very similar. 

Then you must ignore actual production.

In the very best season in Colsten's 10 year career he still did not match Green's career average for yards per game.  So at his absolute peak Colston was not as productive as Greens average season.

And BTW that season where Colston averaged 81.6 yards per game the Saints threw for more than 5500 yards. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then you must ignore actual production.

In the very best season in Colsten's 10 year career he still did not match Green's career average for yards per game.  So at his absolute peak Colston was not as productive as Greens average season.

And BTW that season where Colston averaged 81.6 yards per game the Saints threw for more than 5500 yards. 

Hm maybe my whole point in saying he is a slightly better Colston.

Here is my point.

AJ > Colston
AJ < Dez, Calvin, Julio, and others.

And no I'm not going by numbers, I'm going by pure eye test and clutch factor.

I think this whole thread was started because AJ had a fumble, and then brought back up because Andy and AJ couldn't connect on the final offensive play.

My point is, A.J. isn't as clutch as some of these other big time receivers. Sure he has games like Baltimore, but he also has stinkers sometimes, which is Colston-esqe in my eyes.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 03:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hm maybe my whole point in saying he is a slightly better Colston.

Here is my point.

AJ > Colston

I think this whole thread was started because AJ had a fumble, and then brought back up because Andy and AJ couldn't connect on the final offensive play.

My point is, A.J. isn't as clutch as some of these other big time receivers. Sure he has games like Baltimore, but he also has stinkers sometimes, which is Colston-esqe in my eyes.

Eyeball test?  How many games have Dez, Julio, and Calvin won over the last four years?  Since you have seen them all win so many more clutch big games than Green please list them for me.

Here is what my eyes have seen green do

118 yards and scored go ahead td with 2 minutes left in 4th quarter against the Steelers just 2 weeks ago.

227 yards and two fourth quarter tds (including another game winner with 2 minutes left) against the Ravens this year.

131 yards including game winning 75 yarder with 4 minutes left in 4th quarter against the Ravens last year.

151 yards and game tying td on last play of 4th quarter against the Ravens in '13.

10 catches for 115 in 13-10 "playoff elimination game" against the Steelers in week 16 of '12.

41 yard game winning td with 4 minutes left against Browns in '11
Reply/Quote
What did Dez do against Green bay in the playoffs last year?

3 catches for 38 yards?  that just can't be possible,  Dez never has an off game, right?

In fact Dez was held to less than 50 yards in BOTH of their playoff games.

In 2014 Dez also had 3 more regular season games where he was held under 50 yards.

In 2013 he had 5 games where he was held under 50 yards.

In 2012 he had 3 games where he was held under TWENTY yards.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 03:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What did Dez do against Green bay in the playoffs last year?

3 catches for 38 yards?  that just can't be possible,  Dez never has an off game, right?

Lol this is why I love you Fred. I say, "I may get blasted", you ask why, and then continue to do so.

If you disagree that's great, I don't need to prove anything to you Fred.

To me, AJ Green is a slightly better Marques Colston, sorry that hurts you.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 03:23 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: To me, AJ Green is a slightly better Marques Colston, sorry that hurts you.

It doesn't hurt me at all.

I just prove that you are wrong.
Reply/Quote
People get upset because for all the good things AJ does he does have a couple of warts, and they are easily fixable warts - so fix them!

One is the fumbles at the worst possible times. That is concentration.

The other is not coming back to the ball, which is a key element of playing receiver at a high level. The great ones track the ball and come to it. And on that play all he had to do was come back to the ball and he would have gotten a PI on the defender. In any event I still think it was improperly called (should have been a TD) as neither foot went out of bounds one just came down on the pylon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
AJ is arguably the best at his position in this league. Name better receivers troll.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 03:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hm maybe my whole point in saying he is a slightly better Colston.

Here is my point.

AJ > Colston

Troll much? How are those elite receivers doing in comparison.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 03:58 PM)Fresno B Wrote: AJ is arguably the best at his position in this league. Name better receivers troll.

Hahhahahahhahahaahhaahahahahahahahah
you calling someone else a troll is beyond hilarious. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 04:03 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Hahhahahahhahahaahhaahahahahahahahah
you calling someone else a troll is beyond hilarious. 

Name a better receiver then? Thought so. Confused
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 04:05 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Name a better receiver then? Thought so. Confused

Calvin Johnson
Antonio Brown
Dez Bryant

I'd put him on par with Julio.

Or should I pull up those playoff games to prove to you he isn't good? 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 04:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Calvin Johnson
Antonio Brown
Dez Bryant

Pull em up please. Its pretty much a worldwide consensus who didn't show up in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 04:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Calvin Johnson
Antonio Brown
Dez Bryant

Fine. Name another position that ranks as high on the team. Thought so.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 04:16 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Pull em up please. Its pretty much a worldwide consensus who didn't show up in the playoffs.

13 receptions on 32 targets for 161 yards and 0 TD.
Not clutch. 

No discussion. Shut up. It's over sonnnnn!
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 04:17 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Fine. Name another position that ranks as high on the team. Thought so.

Geno Atkins. 
Carlon Dunlap.
Vontaze Burfict.
George Iloka.
Adam Jones.
Tyler Eifert.

All playing top 3-5 at their positions right now. 
Reply/Quote
God I hate the use of the word 'Elite' in American sports. Yawn. He's a great player, teams have to scheme to take him away. Do me a favour and realise the obvious.

Reply/Quote