Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active shooter in Maryland
https://www.yahoo.com/news/shootings-reported-newspaper-annapolis-maryland-192130007.html

Quote:Multiple people have been shot at a newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland.
The Baltimore Sun, which owns The Capital newspaper in Annapolis says a reporter told them of the shooting Thursday afternoon.
The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said it was responding to reports of the shooting.

I know we have some forum members in the area. Stay safe and give us any local updates you may have
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Shooter is in custody, and so far a report saying he used a shotgun per CNN. Still no word on number fatalities and casualties.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(06-28-2018, 05:32 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Shooter is in custody, and so far a report saying he used a shotgun per CNN. 

Welp, guess we don't have to worry that all the gun control nuts will use this case to further their agenda.  Mellow

In all seriousness, thoughts and prayers to all those affected by this incident.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-28-2018, 05:34 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Welp, guess we don't have to worry that all the gun control nuts will use this case to further their agenda.  Mellow

But we will have to hear all the NRA nuts further their agenda by acting like "assault weapon bans" are the only type of gun control.

Thoughts and prayers to the people who want to take some action to control gun violence in America.
(06-28-2018, 05:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But we will have to hear all the NRA nuts further their agenda by acting like "assault weapon bans" are the only type of gun control.

Thoughts and prayers to the people who want to take some action to control gun violence in America.

We can have all the weapons we want.  The bible says so..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-28-2018, 05:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But we will have to hear all the NRA nuts further their agenda by acting like "assault weapon bans" are the only type of gun control.

To be fair, it's because gun control nuts are the ones that acted like "assualt weapon bans" are the only type of gun control first.  ThumbsUp
(06-28-2018, 06:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We can have all the weapons we want.  The bible says so..

On an unrelated note: did you know it's not scriptural to fly in a plane? God clearly states in the Bible, "Lo, I am with you always" Ninja
(06-28-2018, 06:06 PM)PhilHos Wrote: On an unrelated note: did you know it's not scriptural to fly in a plane? God clearly states in the Bible, "Lo, I am with you always" Ninja

Welp, so much for "flying the friendly skies".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-28-2018, 06:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To be fair, it's because gun control nuts are the ones that acted like "assualt weapon bans" are the only type of gun control first.  ThumbsUp

Agreed.  That is very frustrating at times.

It is because 10 deaths at a school get more publicity than a thousand deaths in the streets across the country.
5 loved ones left for work this AM not knowing when they got out of bed this morning it would be their last. A little early for trivialities.

One of the survivors described it as "like a war zone". I think he actually underestimates the horror that hen went through. What they and other survivors of these types of atrocities experience a feeling of fear and helplessness that makes a war zone seem like recess.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

My thoughts and prayers are proactively with whomever is harmed or killed next due to being a member of a group/profession the right-wing has declared to be "the enemy."
(06-28-2018, 08:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My thoughts and prayers are proactively with whomever is harmed or killed next due to being a member of a group/profession the right-wing has declared to be "the enemy."

I hadn’t heard a motive. Is that why he did it?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

The newspaper identified the gunman, said he filed a defimation lawsuit in 2012 and lost that case three years later. A running feud with the newspaper.
(06-28-2018, 08:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My thoughts and prayers are proactively with whomever is harmed or killed next due to being a member of a group/profession the right-wing has declared to be "the enemy."

(06-28-2018, 10:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I hadn’t heard a motive. Is that why he did it?

(06-28-2018, 11:03 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The newspaper identified the gunman, said he filed a defimation lawsuit in 2012 and lost that case three years later. A running feud with the newspaper.

Someone should be feeling some intense shame about now.  Mellow
(06-29-2018, 12:50 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Someone should be feeling some intense shame about now.  Mellow

Certainly.

But those who wish to incite violence never do...they just deflect when one of the events doesn't involve them and ignore when one does involve them.
Mellow
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-29-2018, 12:50 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Someone should be feeling some intense shame about now.  Mellow

Agreed. There was a lot of finger pointing immediately after by very public figures, and those fingers were pointed right at each other. It was rather disgusting. I know Nately was being his usual snarky self with his comments, but people like Hannity immediately blaming Maxine Waters or people on the left blaming Trump and Milo in the immediate aftermath just isn't helpful.

No, the comments from Trump, Milo, Waters, and whomever else aren't helpful to the discourse in our society, but we should always wait for motive to be made clear before finger pointing. Instead, because of the news cycle in our society, it is a race to pile on the blame first. Facts be damned.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Ehh, it fits with the baby killer Dr Tiller assassination , no baby parts shooter, and pizza place sex slave vigilante scenarios.  It wasn't out of the realm of possibility to thunk this guy was after the evil media. 

No shame needed. I was wrong, but this wouldn't be the first time some nut with a gun stormed off heroically because someone important got him all riled up. 

There is proven profit in making Americans hate each other. I'm not just dreaming this up because I get off on calling out certain people for using their immense popularity to fan the flames. I jumped the gun this time ill admit, but I'm not exactly blaming the mole people or aliens either.
(06-29-2018, 09:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: Certainly.

But those who wish to incite violence never do...they just deflect when one of the events doesn't involve them and ignore when one does involve them.
Mellow

Who are we talking about and which events that this one is an exception to are we talking about?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-29-2018, 10:10 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Who are we talking about and which events that this one is an exception to are we talking about?

Nate pointed out the Pizza Shop/Child Sex ring as a good example.

There are more.

People with a microphone can incite violence even while claiming they didn't.  And just because one incident wasn't because of the hate being spewed at a specific group that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

And they certainly don't feel shame about it.

Edit:

See...Milo was just "trolling" and he "can't believe" anyone took his "joke" seriously enough to consider it a threat.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/394715-milo-yiannopoulos-my-call-for-shooting-journalists-was-just-a-troll

Quote:Conservative provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos on Thursday insisted that he "wasn't being serious" when he recently told two reporters that he “can’t wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists.”

Yiannopoulos's comments Thursday came shortly after a gunman opened fire in the Capital Gazette newsroom in Annapolis, Md., leaving at least five people dead and several others seriously injured. Authorities have taken a suspect into custody, but have not yet released an identity or motive.

“You’re about to see a raft of news stories claiming that I am responsible for inspiring the deaths of journalists,” Yiannopoulos wrote in a Facebook post. “The truth, as always, is the opposite of what the media tells you.”

“I sent a troll about 'vigilante death squads' as a *private* response to a few hostile journalists who were asking me for comment, basically as a way of saying, 'F---k off.' They then published it,” he continued. “Amazed they were pretending to take my joke as a 'threat,' I reposted these stories on Instagram to mock them – and to make it clear that I wasn’t being serious.”

Yiannopoulos reportedly sent Davis Richardson, a reporter for the Observer, a text message this week, saying: “I can’t wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists down on sight.”

The right-wing provocateur also sent the message to Daily Beast reporter Will Sommer, according to the Observer.

Now just because he explained his "joke" AFTER the shooting surely means nothing. Right?

But, again, even if this incident had nothing to do with what he said, or what Trump says or what anyone says...they are still out their saying it and it's not going to end well.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I usually just shrug or say something cynical when yet another shooting occurs. This one felt different so I didn't just shrug. I was wrong.

So shrug, that's America. Who's next?