Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Anarumo has GOT to go
(09-23-2020, 03:41 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Except you can't do that. You can't just remove a play because it doesn't fit the narrative. Take away the pass interference and AJ scores the game winning touchdown, we are 1-1!

They had that big run, with Reader in there. Even if you take the big run out, they still have 89 yards on 22 carries. They were absolutely having success on the ground and to say that "they weren't running the ball on us all day" is crazy. I am much happier with 89 on 22 than 115 on 23, but they were still finding running room and at this point, we are arguing about something that isn't even reality. It is silly.
Yes it is silly because the Defense played great against the Chargers and you won't give them credit because it doesn't fit the narrative you subscribe to.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 05:34 PM)J24 Wrote: Yes it is silly because the Defense played great against the Chargers and you won't give them credit because it doesn't fit the narrative you subscribe to.

I never said they didn’t play well, I said that I thought they played well because of Tyrod Taylor. San Diego didn’t have good QB play but still exploited a weakness; the running game.

Yes, Cincinnati overall held them to 16 points and played well but you got caught up on the point regarding the running game. Cincinnati played bad, defensively, against the run. The same was the story against Cleveland, except Baker is a better QB than Tyrod and the whole defense played badly.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 06:07 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I never said they didn’t play well, I said that I thought they played well because of Tyrod Taylor. San Diego didn’t have good QB play but still exploited a weakness; the running game.

Yes, Cincinnati overall held them to 16 points and played well but you got caught up on the point regarding the running game. Cincinnati played bad, defensively, against the run. The same was the story against Cleveland, except Baker is a better QB than Tyrod and the whole defense played badly.
No they didn't play bad against the Chargers in the run game they gave up a couple of big runs but it wasn't anything like the Browns game.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 06:17 PM)J24 Wrote: No they didn't play bad against the Chargers in the run game they gave up a couple of big runs but it wasn't anything like the Browns game.

They did play bad against the Chargers in the run. They gave up over 150 yards to them, how that isn't poor, I have no idea. Giving up a couple of big runs is part of the game. You are correct, they played worse in the Browns game, they gave up over 200 yards to them but that doesn't change the fact that they played poorly against the Chargers. 
Reply/Quote
Against the Bengals the Chargers gained 362 yards and 155 yards rushing. Against the Chiefs, the Chargers racked up 479 yards and 183 yards rushing. The Chiefs do not have a bad D.

The Browns game was bad. I heard there were 19 missed tackles. Anarumo had them in position to make the play but he was not on the field to make the tackle. What was significant was the reaction of the new defensive veterans. They were not happy. The team has 4 new starters and only 1 previous game to gel. For me, it will take a couple more games to see what we have.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 06:26 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: They did play bad against the Chargers in the run. They gave up over 150 yards to them, how that isn't poor, I have no idea. Giving up a couple of big runs is part of the game. You are correct, they played worse in the Browns game, they gave up over 200 yards to them but that doesn't change the fact that they played poorly against the Chargers. 

They gave up 4.0 yards a carry on 39 carries that's not bad at all. Also they had multiple stops on 3rd and 4th down. Like I said before they didn't play bad against the run against the Chargers.
J24

Reply/Quote
In what world is giving up 150 yds on the ground playing well?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 06:17 PM)J24 Wrote: No they didn't play bad against the Chargers in the run game they gave up a couple of big runs but it wasn't anything like the Browns game.

Just because it wasn't as bad as it was against the Browns doesn't mean it wasn't bad. 

155 yard of rushing in a game is greater than what we averaged last year, when we finished dead last.  If you give up a 155 yards every game you have an absolutely terrible run defense.

You keep saying if you just take out a couple plays, or this play, or that play.  That's not how this works.  Those plays happened, they exist.  They contributed to the loss.

Do you ever do this for the opposing teams? 

If the Chargers just didn't give up the run to Joe Burrow, and had picked up the audible, then they would have held us without a touchdown, and would have won by 10.

If the Browns just could have punched in one of those goal line carries they would have scored over 40 points and won by 12.

If, if, if, if....

Of course you don't do this both ways, because you're not at all being objective or looking to have a rational discussion about this team.  You take away plays and use hypotheticals to make yourself feel better about the team you follow.  There's a phrase for this, it's called "being a homer".
Reply/Quote
Anamuro is not the biggest issue, it would be Zac, we draft and invest for the offense since the inception of this organization. We should be minimum 8-8 every year. We dont expect the D to give us wins, but the Offense MUST score point after point.
Reply/Quote
Anarumo is pretty bad, but one thing I'll say in his defense is that WJIII's pick was a great defensive call. They had a rotation on, where Jackson went from near the line of scrimmage and rotated to the deep middle - athletic on his part, but good scheme on Anarumo's part too.

But i'm just being nice, mostly I agree he's terrible. Kind of hard to blame tackling on the DC, except that you wonder if it's because we do so little live contact in training camp to keep them fresh that they end up with bad tackling habits. But mostly, when in doubt I usually resort to the simplest answer: the tackling is bad because we don't have enough good players on defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 11:39 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Anarumo is pretty bad, but one thing I'll say in his defense is that WJIII's pick was a great defensive call. They had a rotation on, where Jackson went from near the line of scrimmage and rotated to the deep middle - athletic on his part, but good scheme on Anarumo's part too.

But i'm just being nice, mostly I agree he's terrible. Kind of hard to blame tackling on the DC, except that you wonder if it's because we do so little live contact in training camp to keep them fresh that they end up with bad tackling habits. But mostly, when in doubt I usually resort to the simplest answer: the tackling is bad because we don't have enough good players on defense.

Here's what I mean. I'm pretty sure this is the WJIII pick. I'm not defending Anarumo, I'm just throwing this out there for discussion fodder. 

Reply/Quote
I predict the defense will play much better in Philly, and this board will go from saying "Anarumo has to go" back to "Sweet Lou". Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Lou and Jim Turner need to both be fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 08:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I predict the defense will play much better in Philly, and this board will go from saying "Anarumo has to go" back to "Sweet Lou".  Hilarious

It's Friday and this thread is still going? Who spiked the freaken koolaid?

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 11:44 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Here's what I mean. I'm pretty sure this is the WJIII pick. I'm not defending Anarumo, I'm just throwing this out there for discussion fodder. 

Thats a well drawn play if I say so myself. Great read on WJIII.

Reply/Quote
Wade Phillips wants a job

“Being out, I feel like I could help somebody,” Phillips said. “That’s the only thing. But they’ve got to feel that way, too. But there’ll be some teams that don’t do as well. Whether they'll consider me to help, I don’t know that. So, we’ll have to wait and see.”

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/one-on-one-coverage-wade-phillips-feels-he-could-help-somebody-again/article_f248e6b2-ff44-11ea-8635-8314c81433ff.html

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2020, 10:09 AM)pally Wrote: Wade Phillips wants a job

“Being out, I feel like I could help somebody,” Phillips said. “That’s the only thing. But they’ve got to feel that way, too. But there’ll be some teams that don’t do as well. Whether they'll consider me to help, I don’t know that. So, we’ll have to wait and see.”

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/one-on-one-coverage-wade-phillips-feels-he-could-help-somebody-again/article_f248e6b2-ff44-11ea-8635-8314c81433ff.html

This seems like a no-brainer. Taylor knows him from LA, and he’s a good coach. But no let’s just roll with Lou Anarumo like...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3409083]

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2020, 10:09 AM)pally Wrote: Wade Phillips wants a job

That would be a great get for the Bengals. 

Hell, if I'm Wade Phillips I would think that I would end up being Head Coach of this team within 2-3 years.
Reply/Quote
Lou needs to show improvement the next 2 weeks, more rest, not a short week, no excuses.
Reply/Quote
In Lou's 18 games, here's what they've allowed on the ground. The five 200+ yards allowed is the most in the NFL over that time:

578 2,752 4.8 (142.9 yards per game)

They have to figure out a way to stop teams from running on them. Now this problem isn't new, it's been going on for awhile, but to this point, Lou's done nothing to change it or figure out how to fix it. Hopefully, he can sooner than later.

Reply/Quote