Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Anyone else feel just "meh" about the game, today?
(12-20-2021, 02:54 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: There was another dude in the GameDay thread that actually though we had a bat's chance in hell when we were down 24-0 in a prior game.

And he was right considering the Bengals cut the lead down to 2 in the same game. ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 04:56 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Ratings mean zilch without wins...
The Bengals are 8-6, which is all that matters.

Now you're moving the bar. We are talking QB's, not teams.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 04:26 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I wish I could agree with you, on this.  He looks really good, so far, but I don't see anything "elite" about him.

He's not an ELITE runner like Lamar Jackson.
He doesn't have a cannon "elite" arm like say... Justin Herbert.
He MIGHT have an "elite" football mind, like Tom Brady, but then he throws on average about 1 stupid INT per week.

You have to look at his production as a whole. For instance, did Drew Brees have an elite arm like Herbert, or was he an elite runner? Of course not, but his production was certainly elite. Here is every passing meaningful passing metric I can think of and how they pertain to Burrow...

Yards per attempt - 2nd
TD % - 3rd
Passer Rating - 6th
Completion % Above Expectation - 1st
PFF Grade(if you put much stock into them) - 1st

The only two where he seems to fall short is...

INT % - 5th worst
EPA per pass - 14th

This kind of production this early on is quite astounding, especially considering that the OL still isn't very good. I absolutely agree with Sled21 that he is an elite QB in the making. Is he one right now? No, not yet. But does he look like he is on his way? Yeah, he does. 
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 03:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just a quick PSA.  The gameday threads have been closed after the games, in an effort to keep that content where it belongs, in the place and time of the emotional roller coaster that is the game watching experience.  I'm sincerely asking all of you to refrain from commenting about, and or calling people out for what they said or did in the gameday threads. 

Sorry. I'll try to let the stupidity of the GD threads stay in there.

(12-20-2021, 03:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Eh, it's your all's house to run the way you see fit, but to me personally some of the crap that is said in the GD thread, posters need to be called out on. But that's just my take, which along with a quarter would get you .25 cents. Ninja  Ninja

I'm with you, but like you said, if that's what the powers that be want, then we have to abide.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 04:08 PM)Tony Wrote: In all fairness, a lot of us have seen the worst over the years and expect it.. It's a hard to change..

Hey, I get it. When people thought Lock was going to come in and throw all over us and lead the Broncos to a win, I didn't say anything because history was on their side. I just don't like the stupid takes like the game being over because someone turns the ball over in the 1st QTR.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 7th in yards

2nd in YPA

7th in TD’s

4th in passer rating

4th in completion %

#1 highest graded QB in the entire league by PFF

If he’s not “elite” yet, he’s certainly knocking on the door…

^ Who Dat?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:40 PM)Whacked Wrote: ^ Who Dat?

Excuse me, Jungle Noise is for Bengals fans, not Saints fans. Ninja
Reply/Quote
I surely didn't feel meh about the game yesterday. It was a crucial game.

Don't know how a Bengal fan could think any different honestly.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 04:11 PM)Tony Wrote: Thank you! I love the GameDay thread, and the back and forth is what makes it great. Not everyone is gonna feel the same. NFL football is an emotional Rollercoaster. That's what make it great!

The GD thread is not for the squeamish, to be sure.  It's a non-stop stream-of-conscious for the participants, and that isn't always pretty.  

Actually, I'm amazed at how good we all get along in there.  90% of what goes down is a good-natured give and take between us.  Emotions can run hot at times and there can be some weird takes, but it's still mostly good.  The problem lies in the other 10% of the time, with the same posters with the same axes to grind going after one another like they do in JN.  I'm not pointing fingers, but It's getting to the point that when you see a certain poster make a post, you know their "arch-nemesis" will be along directly to stir the shit and start an argument.  Then it's up to the rest of us to try and keep the focus on the game and ignore their shenanigans.    

All that being said, personally speaking, I find it's still the best way to watch a game on a Sunday, especially when living in a home with a wife and a cat who are mostly indifferent to the game.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:54 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: The GD thread is not for the squeamish, to be sure.  It's a non-stop stream-of-conscious for the participants, and that isn't always pretty.  

Actually, I'm amazed at how good we all get along in there.  90% of what goes down is a good-natured give and take between us.  Emotions can run hot at times and there can be some weird takes, but it's still mostly good.  The problem lies in the other 10% of the time, with the same posters with the same axes to grind going after one another like they do in JN.  I'm not pointing fingers, but It's getting to the point that when you see a certain poster make a post, you know their "arch-nemesis" will be along directly to stir the shit and start an argument.  Then it's up to the rest of us to try and keep the focus on the game and ignore their shenanigans.    

All that being said, personally speaking, I find it's still the best way to watch a game on a Sunday, especially when living in a home with a wife and a cat who are mostly indifferent to the game.  

My archnemesis is a lame-o. Mellow

LOL
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I surely didn't feel meh about the game yesterday. It was a crucial game.

Don't know how a Bengal fan could think any different honestly.

I never said I didn't fell the game wasn't "crucial."
However, even though I knew it was possible, I didn't have the utmost confidence that the Bengals would go in there and beat Denver.  It could have very easily been a loss.
I wasn't too optimistic, but I wasn't too pessimistic - that's the very definition of "meh."
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:54 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: The GD thread is not for the squeamish, to be sure.  It's a non-stop stream-of-conscious for the participants, and that isn't always pretty.  

I have stayed out of the GD thread all season, it has made it much more pleasant. That and the wins of course lol

The reason I don't care for the thread is that it goes so fast. I can ask a question and by the time I get an answer it is 3 pages
later. I prefer if I don't get to watch the game live to just go and watch on Gamepass afterwards and make up my own mind on 
what kind of game we played. So many knee jerk reactions in the GD thread, I can't take it.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:03 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Is he one right now? No, not yet. But does he look like he is on his way? Yeah, he does. 

Fair enough.  You made a compelling argument with the stats, and I appreciate the effort.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:56 PM)PhilHos Wrote: My archnemesis is a lame-o. Mellow

LOL

Well, we're working with a really small budget here  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 04:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Who's the highest rated QB in the league this week?

By which metric?

Cause if you are using PFF, that only matters after certain games or for certain times when it benefits certain posters or....

Can you really sit there and say you'd rather have Burrow over Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, etc? Don't get into the metric of well Brady is older and Mahomes is more expensive and blah, blah, blah...

I'm talking body of work on the field and you need a QB to guide this team for the last 3 weeks and the playoffs.

Are you really picking Burrow over Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers?

Can he be one of those guys someday? Sure.

Is he better than any of them now? No.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:57 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I never said I didn't fell the game wasn't "crucial."
However, even though I knew it was possible, I didn't have the utmost confidence that the Bengals would go in there and beat Denver.  It could have very easily been a loss.
I wasn't too optimistic, but I wasn't too pessimistic - that's the very definition of "meh."

I thought we would lose too but there is no way I felt meh about it. That was a big win against maybe the best D in the NFL.

Fred Johnson playing that well changed my entire perception about what we can do from here on out. Really thought the Reiff
injury doomed us until seeing this.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Now you're moving the bar. We are talking QB's, not teams.

I don't feel like I'm moving the bar, but I can understand how it would look that way.
Elite QB's lead their teams to wins, elevate the players around them, etc, etc.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 05:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I have stayed out of the GD thread all season, it has made it much more pleasant. That and the wins of course lol

The reason I don't care for the thread is that it goes so fast. I can ask a question and by the time I get an answer it is 3 pages
later. I prefer if I don't get to watch the game live to just go and watch on Gamepass afterwards and make up my own mind on 
what kind of game we played. So many knee jerk reactions in the GD thread, I can't take it.

Yeah, it can be tough to keep up at times.  I have the radio on, the tv on (muted), the stats page up and I'm trying to pay attention to the actual plays while also reading others' posts and occasionally composing my own.  And I sometimes have the Lions GD chat in another window to really torture myself.  And, if my wife comes in and asks a question it blows up the entire process.  The trick is to not try and read everything.  If I compose a post and another 20 posts go by, I let them and just pick up with the current one.  

It can be a hectic process, and it's an acquired taste, I guess.  
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 06:00 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: By which metric?

Cause if you are using PFF, that only matters after certain games or for certain times when it benefits certain posters or....

Can you really sit there and say you'd rather have Burrow over Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, etc? Don't get into the metric of well Brady is older and Mahomes is more expensive and blah, blah, blah...

I'm talking body of work on the field and you need a QB to guide this team for the last 3 weeks and the playoffs.

Are you really picking Burrow over Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers?

Can he be one of those guys someday? Sure.

Is he better than any of them now? No.

This is what I posted earlier in this conversation...

Quote:Yeah, it really is. Burrow is an elite QB in the making, who will be our franchise QB for a long time.

If I'm picking a QB for the next 3 weeks, I might go with Brady or Rodgers (Mahommes not so much), but I'm not, I;m picking a QB for the next 10 years, and I'll take Burrow every day.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 06:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This is what I posted earlier in this conversation...

If I'm picking a QB for the next 3 weeks, I might go with Brady or Rodgers (Mahommes not so much), but I'm not, I;m picking a QB for the next 10 years, and I'll take Burrow every day.

Over Mahomes who already has a Super Bowl!?!? 

I'm not anti Burrow but Mahomes and Kyler Murray are doing things at the QB position that Burrow simply can't do. 

That isn't a knock on him, those two are just built differently. 

He clearly is the best option in the AFC North which will be enough to win the division for a bit but I'm just not ready to say he is going to be the guy of the NFL for the next 10 years like Mahomes will be.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote