Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are The Bengals Super Bowl Contenders?

That's the clever title of an article on ESPN and discusses the reasons why and why not we could be.

It starts by mentioning the problems on the offensive line, which many of us are worried about.

Quote:The Bengals allowed 41 sacks last season. That was with Pro Bowlers Kevin Zeitler and Andrew Whitworth. Both left in free agency this year.

That's heartbreaking and seeing it in print only makes my fears for this season worse.

Then it talks about the rest of the line:

Quote:Zeitler's replacement is Andre Smith, a longtime right tackle for the Bengals who was not pursued heavily by them and signed with the Vikings for one disastrous season. He played in only four games because of injury. At 30, he is now attempting to make the move to guard for the first time in his career.

Zeitler will be tough to replace but I think can excel at guard, even at his age, because he can use his size more and won't have to move as much. He can be more of a bulldozer and a big object in the middle in pass protection.

Quote:Whitworth's replacement is Cedric Ogbuehi, who struggled all of last season at right tackle and was forced to share the role with Eric Winston. He didn’t fare much better in one game at left tackle either, which is where he’ll play this season. Jake Fisher will move into Ogbuehi’s spot, leaving Clint Boling and Russell Bodine as the only full-time starters returning.

People are writing-off Ogbuehi, but I feel like having him focus on his natural position and having all off-season to improve will allow him to be successful and protect Andy's blindside. Fisher being full-time at RT should also allow him to be successful.

Bodine still worries me, but, if he can even be average, I feel like our line could be ok, but that's a BIG IF.

I also feel like Mixon making teams respect the run will also help the line more than people are giving credit for.

It talks about how getting rid of Rey and Dansby, while adding Minter, improves the linebacking group:

Quote:The Bengals have appeared to resolve some of their problem areas, at least on paper. Linebackers Rey Maualuga and Karlos Dansby were showing their age last season. They’ve been replaced by Kevin Minter, who is only 26 but has enough experience for the Bengals to feel comfortable signing him in free agency.

Nick Vigil, in his second season, probably will be the strongside linebacker. They’ve upgraded in athleticism at the position, and barring injury, Vontaze Burfict should be there from Day 1 after starting last year on suspension. That could be huge for early games.

I feel like having Burfict from day one will also give our defense an identity and enthusiasm as they'll rally around him.

I also think Vigil could be a playmaker for us and only flew under the radar because he went to Utah State but I think he's good in pass rush AND pass coverage.

It mentions how our kicking game cost us games, which nothing is more frustrating for our fan base, but we'll hopefully be improved:

Quote:It’s highly unlikely the Bengals' kicking situation will be as bad as it was in 2016, when it probably cost them a few games. They drafted Jake Elliott in the fifth round and have him competing with Randy Bullock, but it’s probably Elliott’s job to lose. A better kicking situation last year could’ve meant the difference in at least three games.

I questioned taking Elliot that early over other guys, but I think our staff pulled off a steal. I'm liking our kicking game this year.

It mentions how all the new weapons will free-up AJ, which I've posted a lot about and is scary to think about:

Quote:If all goes well, A.J. Green won’t be putting so much on his shoulders this year. The Bengals have added two dymanic offensive rookies -- Joe Mixon and John Ross -- in addition to wide receiver Josh Malone. Ross, if he stays healthy, adds a badly needed speed option, and Mixon gives them a versatile running back who also can catch passes. He’s already an upgrade at that position.

With a speedy guy like Ross, you need two safeties back deep, but then you allow Mixon to get 5 or 6 yards a pop on the ground.

There's more in the article, like our potential problems in the secondary, but I think we'll be ok once our young guys get their feet wet:

Quote:It’s still possible Adam Jones could be suspended because of his off-the-field conduct. If that were to happen, Darqueze Dennard, who has struggled to live up to his first-round status, or William Jackson III, a promising second-year player who was hurt his rookie season, would be filling in. Jones is also going to be 34 this fall, which is on the older side for a cornerback.

Also mentions the return from injuries as problems for Gio and Eifert, but the article has me excited about our potential!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
We have the defense. The offense needs to put up points. 20 points a game doesn't cut it anymore. The only thing holding this team back is Marvin Lewis. In this league you have to attack and keep attacking. Marvin gets a lead, and then holds. You can't do that anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm trying to be cautious about this, and I agree that we will only go as far as our OLine takes us, but I think they COULD be good enough to get us there. FIsher and Obguehe are 1st and 2nd round picks for Pete's sake. If they can stay healthy, along with everybody else (including Fragile Tyler Eifert), I'm excited about the speed and talent we've added to our offense. I'm not worried about the D. I think we can contend for a ring.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It all depends if Marvin Lewis can win the elusive playoffs that have been eluding him.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 01:15 AM)Storer50 Wrote: We have the defense. The offense needs to put up points. 20 points a game doesn't cut it anymore. The only thing holding this team back is Marvin Lewis. In this league you have to attack and keep attacking. Marvin gets a lead, and then holds. You can't do that anymore.

Agreed but I'm hoping Marvin sees that he's on the hot seat and just goes balls-to-the-wall and lets the Zampese just go after people.  Maybe his offseason motto for the team will be something like "Get After it" or "Attack" or "Now," and we just go all-out on both sides of the ball.

I also think that our players are playmakers enough where we can attack even if Marvin/Zampese try to slow us down because, take Mixon for example, he's a big play threat whenever he touches the ball, and you know AJ won't be satisfies with just running curl routes, and then Ross can go deep on any play.

Maybe Andy will also have a say in the play calling or will have more freedom/courage to audible to a deep pass play if he sees the offense loading the line.  I realize we were winning, but it was only because of the end-of-game hurry-up offense, so I never understood why Carson didn't do that when he saw defenses loading the box to stop Ced in 2009 when we went run-heavy.  I realize our game plan was to commit to the run, but an audible to taking a shot deep every once in a while wouldn't have changed the game plan.

(06-12-2017, 01:44 AM)Shady Wrote: I'm trying to be cautious about this, and I agree that we will only go as far as our OLine takes us,  but I think they COULD be good enough to get us there. FIsher and Obguehe are 1st and 2nd round picks for Pete's sake. If they can stay healthy, along with everybody else (including Fragile Tyler Eifert), I'm excited about the speed and talent we've added to our offense. I'm not worried about the D. I think we can contend for a ring.

I'm getting more-and-more optimistic, and health is always a big factor, but I think that, aside from out offensive line, we have enough depth to weather the storm of a few injuries.  Obviously, it would be a lot more difficult if any of the major guys went down for an extended period (AJ, Atkins, Andy, Burfict, etc,), but I think we've built a pretty quality roster.

I think we can contend for a ring, but it all rests on the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy-1.gif?w=370&h=204&crop=1]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Training camp and Preseason can't get here soon enough.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Its hard to call what's on paper a SB contender, that doesn't mean they can't become one though. It shouldn't come down to one position, but as others have said IF the OT'S are descent (one good, one average) then tell me why they can't be one? They're talented all around and so much hinges on how the OL holds up.
Reply/Quote
With the 05 o-line?  Sure.  Right now?  Probably not.  The o-line and defense would have to considerably outperform my expectations for me to delude myself into thinking that a ML coached team can win the biscuit.
Reply/Quote
The article should not be if the Bengals can win a SB but should be if Marvin can win a SB. He's been the thing holding us back.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 01:15 AM)Storer50 Wrote: We have the defense. The offense needs to put up points. 20 points a game doesn't cut it anymore. The only thing holding this team back is Marvin Lewis. In this league you have to attack and keep attacking. Marvin gets a lead, and then holds. You can't do that anymore.

I am likely the only one on here that has more optimism on the offensive side of the ball than the defensive side.   Getting a healthy TE squad...yep, all four of them were injured last season.  Uzoman, Kroft, Hewitt, and Eifert is a strong position grouping.  They will provide a huge addition to the offense in both the rushing attack and the red zone.  Mixon replacing Hill is a tremendous upgrade.  Ross opposite AJ Green is the answer I have been waiting for ever since they joined the Bengals.  Tyler Boyd in year 2 in the slot.  Zampese in year 2 on the job.  AJ Green is back and determined. Dalton was great last year without weapons....this will be his best season ever.  

I can't wait to watch this offense.  
Reply/Quote

Bingo. Marvins love of defensive style football is beyond outdated and simply does not win championships in this day and age. He can't seem to get that through his head so we are forced to suffer. 

WTS, there's no way we make the super bowl with this duct taped together oline. None.
Reply/Quote
I have faith (though it is just that, faith, because I have no proof) that Jake and Ced will be much improved this year. My concern is that who do we have behind them if one or both get hurt?
Reply/Quote
Possibly come January.. But right now we are 0-0 and got a lot to prove.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 08:30 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Bingo. Marvins love of defensive style football is beyond outdated and simply does not win championships in this day and age. He can't seem to get that through his head so we are forced to suffer. 

WTS, there's no way we make the super bowl with this duct taped together oline. None.

UMMM The broncos just won a superbowl without much offense at all... So DEFENSE still can win championships
Reply/Quote
If we lose two games to Steelers like we always do how can we be a Super Bowl contender.

Maybe in 2018 if we have a new coach. Not this year.

There is a lot of talent at skilled positions on offense and on defense.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, there is only one theoretical weak point on this team. The Oline. And, by the logic given for every other position, we have talent there, so we should be fine.

The only difference between Ross, Mixon, Lawson, Willis, Jackson and Billings upgrading a position and Ogbuehi and Fisher upgrading the Oline is the fact that we've seen Og and Fisher go through rookie esque struggles.

Granted, they were much worse struggles than we would have liked, but there is a trend in terms of young players struggling early on. Not every prospect is a Joe Thomas.

I think we'll see a much improved Og and Fisher this year. They won't replace Whit, but they won't be nearly as bad as last year. Our weakness last year was, after all, the RT giving up sacks all day every day.
Reply/Quote
Brad on paper Marvin has had 3 or 4 teams now that should have been very competitive. Major stress to "on paper" !

And again "on paper" it sounds good all except as has been stated 100,000 X the O-line. And I believe there's little doubt this team's success or failure - during the regular season hinges there.

Now you wanna start talking Super Bowl......ummmmm......... I have like .00000001 % faith in Marvin Lewis leading a team all the way home.
Reply/Quote
Heres the things that I truly believe about this team:

1. The Bengals have a top 5 group of offensive skill position players IF everyone is healthy. AJ, Effect, Mixon, Ross, LaFell are an outstanding group.

2. The Bengals have a defense that is capable of winning a Super Bowl.

3. Dalton, when surrounded with great weapons is an outstanding QB.

4. Games are won and lost on the lines. That alone will bring huge question marks since the O-line is so unproven/underperforming.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 12:39 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Heres the things that I truly believe about this team:

1.  The Bengals have a top 5 group of offensive skill position players IF everyone is healthy.  AJ, Effect, Mixon, Ross, LaFell are an outstanding group.

2.  The Bengals have a defense that is capable of winning a Super Bowl.

3.  Dalton, when surrounded with great weapons is an outstanding QB.

4.  Games are won and lost on the lines.  That alone will bring huge question marks since the O-line is so unproven/underperforming.

This.  We'll have a much better idea in September.  Can't really know anything until we see those two OT's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote