Poll: ??
Glad Andy's the backup in Dallas
Wish here were still here
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are you still happy
That we put $17 MIL back in Mikey's pocket?

I was in the VAST minority that suggested we should keep Andy around even at that $17 MIL price tag (although I suggested they "extend" him for a year and give him the money upfront to ease the cap) and use him as a mentor for JB. With the NFL extending the "virtual" workouts today there will be nothing until Training Camp (at the earliest).

So who's still good with Mikey putting $17 MIL back in Pumpkin's trust fund and having Finley showing JB the ropes?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm good with it. Hear me out, JB is a motivator, wants to command. Dalton was a cheerleader trying to get the team motivated. Dalton was cool under pressure, but he was cool with him. I don't think his teamates drew off the motivation. JB has a different style. Just like Andy was thrown into the lions den in his first year and took us to 7 straight playoffs, so should JB. Not saying he will achieve the same result, but it's better for him to go ALL-IN and learn what the coaching staff is teaching.

Am I still happy? Well, hell yeah I'm happy. JB hasnt had the chance yet to make me unhappy?

Reply/Quote
Seems more like a bit of a mid-season poll question, but whatever.. Yes, I'm content with Andy being the backup in Dallas, he very well could land his way to a starting job there. Playing for his likely childhood favorite team has to be one of his bucket list items, so I back him. A change of scenery could likely do him good, Dallas invests heavily in OL and has a strong rushing attack and some very viable weapons. He could have a dream type, career season there. If he does, I wish him well, and hope he achieves everything he never could here.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 08:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems more like a bit of a mid-season poll question, but whatever..  Yes, I'm content with Andy being the backup in Dallas, he very well could land his way to a starting job there.  Playing for his likely childhood favorite team has to be one of his bucket list items, so I back him.  A change of scenery could likely do him good, Dallas invests heavily in OL and has a strong rushing attack and some very viable weapons.  He could have a dream type, career season there.  If he does, I wish him well, and hope he achieves everything he never could here.

Personally I hope we achieve everything he never could here. 

Reply/Quote
I'm happy about spending money to make this team better. Hopefully the numbers work out for bringing Warford in. Looks like we could free up ~4 mil if we trade Williams or Gio (or 8 for both).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals/
Reply/Quote
I’m good.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 09:01 PM)treee Wrote: I'm happy about spending money to make this team better. Hopefully the numbers work out for bringing Warford in. Looks like we could free up ~4 mil if we trade Williams or Gio (or 8 for both).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals/

Does having Andy to show JB the ropes instead of Finley make this team better?

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 09:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Does having Andy to show JB the ropes instead of Finley make this team better?

I can't say for sure. I don't think rope showing is valued at 17 mil these days though. 
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 09:12 PM)treee Wrote: I can't say for sure. I don't think rope showing is valued at 17 mil these days though. 

I'm more worried about the value at giving Joe the best opportunity to excel. 

Reply/Quote
Andy wasn't going to show his replacement the ropes.
Why sit on 17 million dollars?

Ridiculous
Reply/Quote
Felt to me like we knew what we had in Dalton. If JB led us to the doorstep and God forbid something happened, I just don't think Andy would take us over the threshold. Nothing in his past showed he would when it was all on the line. It's great to have a capable back-up if needed to sub in here or there for a little knick or ding to the QB during the season, but I just don't it was worth keeping Andy here - who wanted out for a better opportunity to start - for that bit of insurance and no proof he could really step up if needed. I hope I don't have to eat those words at some point in the season, but as it stands now, I have zero issues with Mikey letting him walk.

There were lots of changes to the locker room this off-season and I think the overhaul is more complete by letting Andy go and Burrow take the reins and establish a new culture.
Reply/Quote
The team apparently isn’t even interested in a veteran QB2 on a cheap backup contract, let alone 17 mil.

As far as the money going in Mike’s pocket? They could still sign Warford, or extend Mixon. This thread (that you really should have let die) is premature. Let’s see if they do anything else with that money first. But even if they don’t, I think letting Dalton go was the right move. Burrow seems as ready, and mature as any QB I’ve ever seen coming out of college.

Reply/Quote
Not that I dislike Andy,but I’m glad he’s gone,and I’m happy that Joe Burrow is a Bengal.I think Joe Burrow is a totally different breed of quarterback than Andy Dalton.I like it.And I like the direction this team is going.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 09:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The team apparently isn’t even interested in a veteran QB2 on a cheap backup contract, let alone 17 mil.

As far as the money going in Mike’s pocket? They could still sign Warford, or extend Mixon/AJ. This thread (that you really should have let die) is premature. Let’s see if they do anything else with that money first. But even if they don’t, I think letting Dalton go was the right move. Burrow seems as ready, and mature as any QB I’ve ever seen coming out of college.

Lot's of threads dying around here this time of year; just trying to spark conversation.

As to "premature" I stated my stance on the matter about 5 months ago, so I'm not sure getting folk's opinions now is premature. When would it not be premature?

Personnel folks know we could have kept Andy and still made any number of moves; especially signing Warford to a couple Mil. 

Reply/Quote
I'm not going to jump off a cliff without Dalton, but I will say that since we are convinced Burrow is going to be our reason to live for the next 15+ years then keeping Dalton around as a mentor even for a single season would be a wise move. We are pinning our worth as a franchise and even if the Cincinnati Bengals exist in the future upon Burrow, so why not do everything to make sure he's in the best situation to learn?

Having Burrow walk into a QB room that boasts a grand total of 4 starts and 0 wins at the NFL level seems to be starting things off on more of a "behind the 8 ball" situation than I'd like, but we did stuff in free agency so meh.
Reply/Quote
When you’ve had a guy for so long I think it’s weird for guys like AJ and Boyd to have him around while the new guy is coming in. Cleanse the locker room! We did that, so I’m happy with that part.

As for what we have done with his $17M, the book isn’t closed on that yet, so it’s hard to say. Hopefully the organization finds a good way to use it by the end of all this.
Reply/Quote
Watch what Dallas gets for him mid-season when a starter goes down. Letting him walk was stupid on so many levels.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 10:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: When you’ve had a guy for so long I think it’s weird for guys like AJ and Boyd to have him around while the new guy is coming in. Cleanse the locker room! We did that, so I’m happy with that part.

As for what we have done with his $17M, the book isn’t closed on that yet, so it’s hard to say. Hopefully the organization finds a good way to use it by the end of all this.

It’s not just WR’s either, guys like Geno and Dunlap played with Dalton for almost a decade. There could have definitely be some division, and awkwardness in the locker room.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 10:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Watch what Dallas gets for him mid-season when a starter goes down. Letting him walk was stupid on so many levels.

If we had kept him, how many contenders would even be able to afford adding 8+ mil mid season like that?

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Personally I hope we achieve everything he never could here. 

(06-11-2020, 10:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Watch what Dallas gets for him mid-season when a starter goes down. Letting him walk was stupid on so many levels.

Meh, they had their opportunities to get something of value for him.  They chose to be stubborn, until the last minute ran out.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote