Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Austin fired
(11-12-2018, 12:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: No doubt it needed done. But it should have happened two weeks ago like all things Bengals, to little, to late. Probably should never got job to begin with but that's another story.

Having said that they need to buck the biggest trend of all and get rid of Marvin Lewis as well.

Yep, I'm ready to move on.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:20 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Not really surprised dude got fired writing was on the wall. Not sure Hasslet is the answer everyone is looking for though.

What’s going to happen? We give up 60 points a game? At least we’re trying to fix it.

Reply/Quote
I really didn't think they would get rid of Marvin since we still have a chance at the playoffs, but Austin had to go I am glad they got that part right.
Reply/Quote
Just saw that Marvin is taking over DC responsibilities. Great. Dude cant handle his responsibilities now...so lets give him more!
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Just saw that Marvin is taking over DC responsibilities. Great. Dude cant handle his responsibilities now...so lets give him more!

I can see good and bad in that. Finally we will see that Merv, will deploy the same crap Austin had been running, meaning not good! It might be just enough to get his butt canned finally, however the injured players on D will be enough to keep him around....
Reply/Quote
Too bad about this move, I am confident that within 3 or 4 years Austin would have the D playing much better.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I can see good and bad in that. Finally we will see that Merv, will deploy the same crap Austin had been running, meaning not good! It might be just enough to get his butt canned finally, however the injured players on D will be enough to keep him around....

I know some think ML is exempt from firing. I think if the team implodes and no playoffs in 2018, he is gone this time. I like the idea ML focus on fixing the defense, make playing time decisions and call defensive plays. Let Lazor do his thing, let Simmons do his thing. Let ML get in the faces on the sidelines of players playing soft on defense and not doing their job. 

Let's see what happens the last 7 regular season games on defense and winning games. If it goes south, then ML will be looking for a job and he should be looking for a job.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
LOL. I was busy at work and finally got a minute to go to Profootball Talk.. And before i opened I said. "It Better say Teryl Austin has been fired" And sure enough it did.. About TIME!
Reply/Quote
Have to say that it is sad to see a guy lose his job especially when he was working for the most inept owner and head coach in the last 20 years.
Are we going to fire the next guy after 8 games if he can't turn it round but keep giving Marv a life jacket?
Reply/Quote
Had to be done.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:07 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: If The Bengals could wisen up, they better bring Hue back because Lazor is gone soon as a HC & id happily take Hue waiting in the wings to fill the spot that had this offense flourishing just a coupla short years ago.

Smoke and mirrors. Gruden built that offense and Hue destroyed it with whiffs on draft picks. Is too gimmicky and now has horrible track record as HC. The interim Greg Williams has a third of Hues win totals in just a few weeks and may pass him this year still. 

Please do not bring Hue in here to be HC.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It is never sad when someone inept loses their job. This team has lots of issues top down, but the personnel on the D are far better than how they have played. And Austin has coached far better than this, for whatever reason this was a bad match.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know some think ML is exempt from firing. I think if the team implodes and no playoffs in 2018, he is gone this time. I like the idea ML focus on fixing the defense, make playing time decisions and call defensive plays. Let Lazor do his thing, let Simmons do his thing. Let ML get in th effaces on the sidelines of players playing soft on defense and not doing their job. 

Let's see what happens the last 7 regular season games on defense and winning games. If it goes south, then ML will be looking for a job and he should be looking for a job.

We can only hope. 
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: Too bad it wasn't Merv too, but this absolutely needed to be done.  Hard to fathom that this FO has fired coordinators in two consecutive seasons.  That's unprecedented for Son of Paul.  Even though the results are not what we want, I have to admit that they are still bucking past trends, starting this past off season.

Eight and 8 and marv will not be back,bill lazor will get the hc job and he will suck as well.need to go outside to the college ranks or someone in the nfl that is a cannot miss.the dirty birds will just kill us as the players on this roster for the most part are not nfl caliber players.too many starters that should not be in nfl.crazy and maddening for sure.austin should have been let go two games ago.I trust no coach on this staff.
Reply/Quote
If we were to bring in a former Browns coach, I would give Todd Grantham a shot.

Believe he is perfect for NFL but only DC chance he was given was with the Browns.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Smoke and mirrors. Gruden built that offense and Hue destroyed it with whiffs on draft picks. Is too gimmicky and now has horrible track record as HC. The interim Greg Williams has a third of Hues win totals in just a few weeks and may pass him this year still. 

I agree, but MB loves him some Hue for some reason.....
Reply/Quote
I said in the game day thread that there was no way they were going to make a move at DC during the bye with the Saints coming to town. The new guy's first game would have killed any buzz. Now we get a Ravens team and our D can get a jump start
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 11:50 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Thank you, Mike Brown!  That was a smart executive decision.

Mikey boy got pressured into it I'm sure. It goes against his nature.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:00 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Mikey boy got pressured into it I'm sure. It goes against his nature.

But Mikey can also blame ML for the hiring of Austin. 

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Smoke and mirrors. Gruden built that offense and Hue destroyed it with whiffs on draft picks. Is too gimmicky and now has horrible track record as HC. The interim Greg Williams has a third of Hues win totals in just a few weeks and may pass him this year still. 

I'm going to preface this by saying outright that I don't want Hue coming back in any capacity, and that his inability to take responsibility for his shortcomings is a serious character flaw.

However, no one looking at the rosters the Browns trotted out the first two years Hue was HC could be delusional enough to think that the team's objective in those seasons was 'winning'. Those teams were meant to tank, and tank hard. While the Clowns still aren't particularly good this year, the talent on both sides of the ball is light-years ahead of where it was in '16 & '17 and they've been largely competitive this season. Three of the Browns losses were by a combined total of 9 points, and they've gone to OT 4 times this year. The other three losses were to the Chiefs, Steelers, and a surprisingly good Chargers team (only the most daffy of Browns fans would have expected W's in any of those games). I'm reasonably sure that's part of the reason that Hue managed to survive the 1-31 debacle, because losing was the intent. They might not of wanted 1 and 0 win seasons but their plan was certainly to be trash and stockpile a bevy of good picks to rebuild the roster.

Giving Gregg Williams credit for any success the Browns have the rest of this season is akin to saying Jon Gruden was a great coach in Tampa Bay because he won a Super Bowl with Dungy's guys and the Raiders' playbook. All the while ignoring the fact that he then systematically dismantled the team in the following seasons and showed himself to be a buffoon of a coach who only a Davis family member would be dumb enough to hire. Mayfield should be improving each week as he gets more experience, same for the rest of the young guys they have on the roster, and as a result the on-field product will continue to improve regardless of who the coach is. The firing of Hue was inevitable but let's not pretend that Mr. Bounty himself is a particularly good coach. I think the firing of Hue was done so that they could get it over with, and avoid keeping him around for another season when the Browns finish the second half of the year strong because the young guys start to gel.
Reply/Quote