Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Austin fired
No. Keep Price at Center.

Hopkins is better at Center than Guard...but Hopkins isn't a good Center.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 05:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the defense improves rather well by the end of the year with Marvin taking over defensive playcalling, could we see Marvin transitioned to DC and another person (possibly Hue because that was the succession plan prior to him going to CLE) taking over HC?

Just a thought, and possibly a dumb one.

No; what will happen Marvin moves up to front office and Hue becomes coach. That was the plan in January of 16 and thats the plan now.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
more info behind firing....

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/12/nfl-news-notes-rumors-ronald-darby-sidney-jones-cooper-kupp-josh-reynolds-teryl-austin?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com

By ALBERT BREER 
November 12, 2018

News, notes and rumors less than 18 hours removed from the 10th Sunday of the 2018 NFL season …
1. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis did what was necessary on Monday in firing defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, a move that those on staff saw as the obvious next step to stop the bleeding on that side of the ball. Cincinnati has allowed 500-plus yards the last three weeks in a row, something that has never happened before. Beyond that, those in the building saw Austin as a guy who put too much volume in too quickly and was too reactionary on a week-to-week basis, which kept the unit from developing an identity.
By the end, Austin wasn’t getting through to the players and finger-pointing had commenced. Asked to describe the situation, one staffer called it a “disaster.” And it’s not that Austin wasn’t a good guy—he was actually well-liked—but this was just a bad match from a football standpoint from the start. So now after a decade of entrusting his defenses to Mike Zimmer and then Paul Guenther, Lewis steps back into coordinator role.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:31 PM)pally Wrote: more info behind firing....

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/12/nfl-news-notes-rumors-ronald-darby-sidney-jones-cooper-kupp-josh-reynolds-teryl-austin?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com

By ALBERT BREER 
November 12, 2018

News, notes and rumors less than 18 hours removed from the 10th Sunday of the 2018 NFL season …
1. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis did what was necessary on Monday in firing defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, a move that those on staff saw as the obvious next step to stop the bleeding on that side of the ball. Cincinnati has allowed 500-plus yards the last three weeks in a row, something that has never happened before. Beyond that, those in the building saw Austin as a guy who put too much volume in too quickly and was too reactionary on a week-to-week basis, which kept the unit from developing an identity.
By the end, Austin wasn’t getting through to the players and finger-pointing had commenced. Asked to describe the situation, one staffer called it a “disaster.” And it’s not that Austin wasn’t a good guy—he was actually well-liked—but this was just a bad match from a football standpoint from the start. So now after a decade of entrusting his defenses to Mike Zimmer and then Paul Guenther, Lewis steps back into coordinator role.

The whole “put too much volume” is funny bc it didn’t look like the bengals put in any sort of unique or exotic game plan for any opponent this season. All vanilla
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:48 PM)N_B Wrote: The whole “put too much volume” is funny bc it didn’t look like the bengals put in any sort of unique or exotic game plan for any opponent this season. All vanilla

In addition to the, "reactionary and no identity," thing, I think it means that Austin kept changing things up and not letting guys do their thing and create their identity.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:31 PM)pally Wrote: more info behind firing....

By ALBERT BREER 
November 12, 2018

AKA Austin tried to change too much too fast and it caused issues. That can happen when you bring in someone with a completely different philosophy to what the team is used to. I kind of felt he was so much different than what the Bengals had instilled in the past that it would have taken him at least 2-3 years to start seeing good production and get in players that better fit his style, but I also thought this team's window didn't really have that long to wait. Austin would have made more sense in a true rebuild where it was accepted that the team would be developing for a few years prior to being a contender again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I miss Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:53 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: No; what will happen Marvin moves up to front office and Hue becomes coach. That was the plan in January of 16 and thats the plan now.

I could see this happening too, although I didn't think it was ever stated anywhere that Marvin would move into FO, just that Hue would succeed him as HC?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 11:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: AKA Austin tried to change too much too fast and it caused issues. That can happen when you bring in someone with a completely different philosophy to what the team is used to. I kind of felt he was so much different than what the Bengals had instilled in the past that it would have taken him at least 2-3 years to start seeing good production and get in players that better fit his style, but I also thought this team's window didn't really have that long to wait. Austin would have made more sense in a true rebuild where it was accepted that the team would be developing for a few years prior to being a contender again.

ML hired Austin knowing he had different schemes and ideas. So the fault for this bad hire rests with him. I will give ML some credit for cutting Austin loose and taking over himself. That is at least being accountable. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:21 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: ML hired Austin knowing he had different schemes and ideas. So the fault for this bad hire rests with him. I will give ML some credit for cutting Austin loose and taking over himself. That is at least being accountable. 

Correct. I can definitely see the appeal to bring someone in who emphasized turnovers, but I would assume Marvin didn't expect Austin to try to change so much so quickly and also that there would be such turmoil with the players trying to adjust.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It had to be done.

I hear Marvin taking over D. It's worth trying. Let Lazor run offense. Marvin run defense and maybe kick a few D players butts to get them in gear. Rumors of Hue Jackson coming in. If so, it's not to replace Lazor. It is to help Marvin as Marvin tries to head coach and run D. Hue has some D coach and head coach experience.

This team can still get to 8 to 10 wins thanks to the 3 home games left. Austin FIRED had to be done.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 11:57 AM)Tomkat Wrote: I miss Zimmer.

Heck, I'd take Guenther back. He was pretty good honestly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Austin probably should never have been hired in the first place, and that's on Marvin, but as another member said it's nice to see him actually hold himself accountable and take charge of things. I've given Marvin a lot of shit over the years, but I have respect for that.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Here's an article that states that Austin lost the team after the Shitsburgh implosion.....

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/13/teryl-austin-lost-bengals-defense-steelers-game/

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 03:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: Here's an article that states that Austin lost the team after the Shitsburgh implosion.....

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/13/teryl-austin-lost-bengals-defense-steelers-game/

You knew there was a disconnect, had to be. The defense has looked lost most of the season especially in coverage.

The jail break blitz was just the straw that broke the back and in typical Bengal fashion they waited way to long to act on it.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 11:46 AM)pally Wrote: Per Josina Anderson and James Rapian. Also Katherine Terrell

Saw this yesterday just couldn't get on here cause i was so busy. Great news, was calling for this a few weeks ago.

Thought Marv should take over the Defense. Might save the season we will see. That passive soft D was sad shit i
saw against both the Chiefs and the Saints. Doesn't matter what players you have if they are always playing a soft
zone with no aggressiveness whatsoever. Honestly was making me mad til they changed the game.

Austin was beyond bad words. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 04:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Saw this yesterday just couldn't get on here cause i was so busy. Great news, was calling for this a few weeks ago.

Thought Marv should take over the Defense. Might save the season we will see. That passive soft D was sad shit i
saw against both the Chiefs and the Saints. Doesn't matter what players you have if they are always playing a soft
zone with no aggressiveness whatsoever. Honestly was making me mad til they changed the game.

Axed Austin.....brought in Hue. LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 04:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Saw this yesterday just couldn't get on here cause i was so busy. Great news, was calling for this a few weeks ago.

We were in the old school prevent defense like 90% of the time, basically no blitzing, soft zone on 3rd and medium to short, it was just nuts.
Reply/Quote